Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #5686
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Sucker state = Missouri because of "show me Missouri"
Hog and hominy state = Tennessee because of the corn
Hemp state = Kentucky because it is grass-state
Vacationland = Maine because not much else to do
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #5687
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Sucker state = Missouri because of "show me Missouri"
Hog and hominy state = Tennessee because of the corn
Hemp state = Kentucky because it is grass-state
Vacationland = Maine because not much else to do
Tennessee, Kentucky and Maine correct! Although I don't think that's what the Mainers had in mind when they stuck Vacationland on the license plates.

Mother of Rivers = Colorado (Daithi)
Mother of Rivers (not a typo; there are two)
Sucker State
Mitten State = Michigan (Shayne Parkinson)
Iodine Products State
Home of Tax Free Shopping
Mother of Presidents = Virginina (Hamlet53)
Mother of Modern Presidents = Ohio (Daithi)
Land of Infinite Variety
Hog and Hominy State = Tennessee (Falcao)
Tomato State
Baja Wisconsin =Illinois (Shayne Parkinson)
Sleepy State
Rip Van Winkle State
Holland of America = Louisiana (Shayne Parkinson)
Italy of America
Switzerland of America = Colorado (Hamlet53)
Lizard State
Valentine State
Land of Steady Habits = Connecticut (Shayne Parkinson)
Friendly State = Utah (Stichawl, close enough)
Friendship State
Land of the Noonday Moon = Alaska (Hamlet53)
Toothpick State = Arkansas (Stichawl)
Potatonia = Idaho (Hamlet53)
Hemp State = Kentucky (Falcao)
Vacationland = Maine (Falcao)
Home of Beautiful Women
Puke State
Free State = Maryland (Stichawl)
Blue Law State

Hamlet53 and Shayne Parkinson have four apiece, Stitchawl and Falcao have three, and Daithi has two.]

Last edited by issybird; 02-20-2012 at 09:38 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #5688
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne Parkinson View Post
So, not Delaware for Holland of America? Hmm, another low-lying coastal state: Louisiana?
Whoops, sorry, missed this one. You are correct. Nice logic. I'll amend the post above.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #5689
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
This is excellent displacement activity! (I'm meant to be editing)

Italy of America - Chicago
Tomato State - South Dakota
Iodine Products State - North Dakota
Friendship State - Texas
Valentine State - South Carolina
Shayne Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #5690
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
This is excellent displacement activity! (I'm meant to be editing)

Italy of America - Chicago
Tomato State - South Dakota
Iodine Products State - North Dakota
Friendship State - Texas
Valentine State - South Carolina
Friendship State - Texas is correct, which puts Shayne in the lead.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #5691
Shayne Parkinson
Author
Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shayne Parkinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... I meant Illinois, not Chicago. But I'm sure you knew that. And obviously it's still wrong.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 AM   #5692
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Colorado is correct. Look closer to home for the other.
I take it that it must be either Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts (love spell check), New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont. So as not to cheat too much, I'm only going to make one guess. Mother of Rivers = New Hampshire?

BTW, I really want to know who Puke State is.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #5693
Shayne Parkinson
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post

Me too. And I don't dare guess "Home of Beautiful Women", since Issybird said the answer surprised her. I know people in a few states...

More guesses:
Blue Law State - Alabama
Puke State - Missouri
Tomato State - Kansas (I've heard it called Sunflower State, and that's about the closest)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #5694
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Home of Beautiful Women == Hawaii ? (The iodine mention earlier makes me thinks of the sea)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #5695
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I take it that it must be either Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts (love spell check), New Hampshire, Maine, or Vermont. So as not to cheat too much, I'm only going to make one guess. Mother of Rivers = New Hampshire?

New Hampsire is the Mother of Rivers and I'm scratching my head. Sure there are rivers, but!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #5696
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Me too. And I don't dare guess "Home of Beautiful Women", since Issybird said the answer surprised her. I know people in a few states...

More guesses:
Blue Law State - Alabama
Puke State - Missouri
Tomato State - Kansas (I've heard it called Sunflower State, and that's about the closest)
And we now know that chundering one; Missouri is indeed the Puke State. It's a reference that goes back to the nineteenth century, so could it be a reference to pioneers getting wagon sick as the set out to homestead the plains?

I'm a little surprised no one's gotten Tomato State. It produces luscious beefsteaks, yum!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #5697
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
New Hampsire is the Mother of Rivers and I'm scratching my head. Sure there are rivers, but!
The Ammonoosuc can be a motha at times...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #5698
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Given the overnight activity (from this perspective), the final total is
Shayne Parkinson has six, Hamlet53 has four, Stitchawl, Falcao and Daithi have three apiece. Nice going to all.

Those that were missed, and I know the mens are waiting breathlessly on the Land of Beautiful Women:
  • Sucker State - Illinois (presumably the fish?)
  • Iodine Products State - South Carolina (I'm packing my bags)
  • Home of Tax Free Shopping - Delaware (which slights AK, MT, NH and OR, but maybe the stores are better)
  • Land of Infinite Variety - South Dakota (I'll take their word for it)
  • Tomato State - New Jersey (Jersey tomatoes are legendary, but I guess it's a mid-Atlantic thang.
  • Sleepy State - Missouri ('nuff said)
  • Rip Van Winkle State - North Carolina (poohbear? POOHbear!)
  • Italy of America - Arizona (arrivederci, Flagstaff?)
  • Lizard State - Alabama (another where I'll take their word for it)
  • Valentine State - Arizona (it became a state on Feb 14)
  • Home of Beautiful Women - Kansas (train to Topeka, boys?)
  • Blue Law State - Connecticut (oh, Land of Steady Habits, you enforce 'em by law)

Shayne Parkinson is annointed Miss America and gets to pose the next question.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #5699
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Now that the quiz is over, here is joke I saw on the State mottoes--

Alabama -- Hell Yes, We Have Electricity.
Alaska -- 11,623 Eskimos Can't Be Wrong!
Arizona -- But It's A Dry Heat.
Arkansas -- Literacy Ain't Everything.
California -- By 30, Our Women Have More Plastic Than Your Honda.
Colorado -- If You Don't Ski, Don't Bother.
Connecticut -- Like Massachusetts, Only The Kennedy's Don't Own It Yet.
Delaware -- We Really Do Like The Chemicals In Our Water.
Florida -- Ask Us About Our Grandkids.
Georgia -- We Put The Fun In Fundamentalist Extremism.
Hawaii -- Haka Tiki Mou Sha'ami Leeki Toru (Death To Mainland Scum,Leave Your Money)
Idaho -- More Than Just Potatoes... Well, Okay, We're Not, But The Potatoes Sure Are Real Good
Illinois -- Please, Don't Pronounce the "S"
Indiana -- 2 Billion Years Tidal Wave Free
Iowa -- We Do Amazing Things With Corn
Kansas -- First Of The Rectangle States
Kentucky -- Five Million People; Fifteen Last Names
Louisiana -- We're Not ALL Drunk Cajun Wackos, But That's Our Tourism Campaign.
Maine -- We're Really Cold, But We Have Cheap Lobster
Maryland -- If You Can Dream It, We Can Tax It
Massachusetts -- Our Taxes Are Lower Than Sweden's
Michigan -- First Line Of Defense >From The Canadians
Minnesota -- 10,000 Lakes...And 10,000,000,000,000 Mosquitoes
Mississippi -- Come And Feel Better About Your Own State
Missouri -- Your Federal Flood Relief Tax Dollars At Work
Montana -- Land Of The Big Sky, The Unabomber, Right-wing Crazies, and Very Little Else.
Nebraska -- Ask About Our State Motto Contest
Nevada -- Hookers and Poker!
New Hampshire -- Go Away And Leave Us Alone
New Jersey -- You Want A ##$%##! Motto? I Got Yer ##$%##! Motto right here!
New Mexico -- Lizards Make Excellent Pets
New York -- You Have The Right To Remain Silent, You Have The Right To An Attorney...
North Carolina -- Tobacco Is A Vegetable
North Dakota -- We Really Are One Of The 50 States!
Ohio -- At Least We're Not Michigan
Oklahoma -- Like The Play, But No Singing
Oregon -- Spotted Owl...It's What's For Dinner
Pennsylvania -- Cook With Coal
Rhode Island -- We're Not REALLY An Island
South Carolina -- Remember The Civil War? Well, We Didn't Actually Surrender Yet.
South Dakota -- Closer Than North Dakota
Tennessee -- The Edyoocashun State
Texas -- Se Hablo Ingles
Utah -- Our Jesus Is Better Than Your Jesus
Vermont -- Ay, Yep
Virginia -- Who Says Government Stiffs And Slackjaw Yokels Don't Mix?
Washington -- We have more rain than you do
West Virginia -- One Big Happy Family...Really!
Wisconsin -- Come Cut The Cheese!
Wyoming -- Where Men Are Men... And The Sheep Are Scared

Last edited by Daithi; 02-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #5700
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Rip Van Winkle State - North Carolina (poohbear? POOHbear!)
I have never EVER heard this nickname used here ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote