Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscuridadBonita View Post
I didn't think of that,I usually buy ps3 psn and never needed those prepaid thanks to all for the info
The Walmart Moneycard is the best one. It's fees are reasonable. It's just $3 a month and $3 to load the card at any Walmart. You can also purchase any moneypak to reload it at anyplace if you don't have your card with you Moneypaks are sold where greendot cards are sold. $4.95 is the fee.

My mom gets moneypaks then calls me with the number to load on my card. She in MO and I am in TN and it works well! Moneypaks can also be used to add funds to your Paypal account.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #62
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Lock Screen App by Kenneth Cheng (i-Kenneth.com)
Lock your Fire with the touch of a icon. also available in Amazon's app store for $1.99. Market has paid and free version. I use the free one do to placement of Lock button being hard to get to when it's sitting in my stand.
Another trick: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157644

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Tap the upper right corner of the screen to bring up a menu (brightness, volume, etc.) The first icon in the row is for locking/unlocking rotation.
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #63
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post
No the Lock app isn't about locking rotation but putting the Fire into Sleep mode with a touch.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #64
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Hi anijh,

I use this app, which I got from Amazon's Appstore:

Wifi Turn On, Wifi Turn Off
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B005OQJG0K

It's quick and easy-peasy.

Cheers.
Does this app show up in the notifications bar like the one Blossom mentioned. Or do you have to actually open the app.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #65
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Just found out through Jane from the Dear Author blog that you can get the Free version of Mantano here

This is fully functional just has ads, the paid version doesn't. They also have the paid version as well if you want to buy it.

It is the latest version.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #66
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just found out through Jane from the Dear Author blog that you can get the Free version of Mantano here

This is fully functional just has ads, the paid version doesn't. They also have the paid version as well if you want to buy it.
Thanks for that. Do you know if you can rename the apk file before installing to something that relates to the app. Such as instead of 123456.apk to appdescription.apk. Will it affect the installation at all.

Carol
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #67
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks for that. Do you know if you can rename the apk file before installing to something that relates to the app. Such as instead of 123456.apk to appdescription.apk. Will it affect the installation at all.

Carol
I think renaming it will be fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-20-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I think renaming it will be fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
For sideloaded apps, can you delete the apk file after the app is installed? Where is the best location to put the apk files prior to installing? I've been placing them on the root, but it is getting cluttered. BTW, I moved the Mantano apk to another folder after installing it and the desktop icon turned into a gray square with rounded corners. Looks weird now.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #69
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Firefox Bowser 8

Works nicely on the Fire. Has some pretty cool features too like being able to save a webpage as a PDF (Options Bar --> Menu --> More --> Save as PDF). PDFs are saved in the download folder. You can access the folder with any File Explorer App.

The only thing I found out about Firefox is that you have to properly shut it down before exiting. However, I have noticed this about a few other Android Apps lately so this is good information to know. Especially if you have an App that worked and then starts to give you problems later after returning to the Carousel Home Screen.

Update: This bug appears to be fixed from version 7.

With that said, to properly exit Firefox (Options Bar --> Menu --> More --> Quit).

Firefox 8 can be downloaded here: http://download.pandaapp.com/android....0-id5110.html
Thanks. Will try it again. I tried Firefox yesterday and it was kinda buggy. Don't remember where I got it from or which version. My mind is on overload. Installing stuff on my Fire and SIL's Fire.

Carol
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For sideloaded apps, can you delete the apk file after the app is installed? Where is the best location to put the apk files prior to installing? I've been placing them on the root, but it is getting cluttered. BTW, I moved the Mantano apk to another folder after installing it and the desktop icon turned into a gray square with rounded corners. Looks weird now.
Yes you can delete the apk files. I leave mine on my Dropbox. You can put them in a folder if you want to keep them on your Fire. On my phone I put them in a folder called backups.

I have no apk files on my Fire. I don't know why it's doing that. What version do you have installed?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #71
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes you can delete the apk files. I leave mine on my Dropbox. You can put them in a folder if you want to keep them on your Fire. On my phone I put them in a folder called backups.

I have no apk files on my Fire. I don't know why it's doing that. What version do you have installed?
The free 1.6.4 version. The app runs fine but as soon as i moved the apk file and opened Mantano the icon defaulted to a blank gray square. I tried re-installing on top of the existing version but that didn't bring back the icon. It might just be a fluke or some KF thing.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #72
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've been using ES file explorer to add apps. I don't think it copies the apk file. I think it just installs from the file on my computer. At least I can't find an apk file on my Fire.

Carol
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #73
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Does this app show up in the notifications bar like the one Blossom mentioned. Or do you have to actually open the app.

Carol
Hi There,

You do have to open that app, so I just put it on the first bookshelf under my carousel for easy access.

That said, I did end up giving the app that Blossom mentioned a try. I didn't like having to go into the status bar to access it, so I just pinned it to the first bookshelf and now I can turn on/off the WiFi just by touching it once! (No opening an app; no going into the Status Bar!)

Woot!

Last edited by xari; 11-20-2011 at 06:12 PM.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #74
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Now it corrected itself and the icon is back! I guess it was just a system hiccup...
Old 11-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #75
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
I've been using ES file explorer to add apps. I don't think it copies the apk file. I think it just installs from the file on my computer. At least I can't find an apk file on my Fire.

Carol

The Fire will cache some Apps to the Download folder on the Fire. Use ES File Explorer to navigate to this folder and you should see all App installation packages downloaded. These are not required to be kept after the App is installed. These will eat up valuable storage space on the Fire. The best place to keep the Apps is on your PC and if you ever need to reinstall an App you simply transfer it back, install it, and delete the install file from the Fire.

LONG press (press and hold) any file and you will receive a pop-up menu from which you can delete files individually; or you can use multi-select (+) to select multiple files and LONG press the last one to delete multiple files. If the ES File Explorer toolbar is not visible, touch the small icon in the upper right corner.

Do yourself a favor and get a copy of WiFi File Explorer Pro. This makes it much easier to transfer and manage files using a web browser. The latest version can be purchased from Amazon for 99 cents. An older version can be downloaded here so you can try before you buy:

http://download.pandaapp.com/android....3-id4561.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-20-2011 at 07:00 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote