Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Word Of The Day for 21 December 2007

We're trying something new. If it works out, we will continue to post a new word on a daily basis. If you have a suggestion for a word, pm me and we'll add it to the list.

Defenestration
An act of throwing someone or something out of a window.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I have nothing against a wordt of the day and I applaud any means to get more news for the website but I personally would prefer 'genuine' news without 50% of the newsitems being a word of the day.

But it might be a good idea as an 'extra' placed on the side or top somewhere.

Either way, it is but an opinion. I enjoy MB and would continue to do so even with all the WOTD things.

* there are quite many word of the day places already too.

Last edited by Jaapjan; 12-21-2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Addition
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think it's OK as a first-time only announcement.

Nate, what would be the verb form of defenestration? To defenstrate someone?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, actually. Here is an example:

If anyone makes a really bad pun, I will defenestrate him.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #5
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
I like it
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
lowmagnet
lowmagnet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Plenty of this already. Please don't. People who like daily fluff can subscribe to this elsewhere.

Word of the Day is
lowmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Are you definite?

I hope this was bad enough...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowmagnet View Post
Plenty of this already. Please don't. People who like daily fluff can subscribe to this elsewhere.

Word of the Day is
Okay, so I'll keep it off the front page. But it's not fluff.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Perhaps an explanation is in order.

A few weeks ago, someone said that this forum was becoming too heavily focused on DRM and piracy. This thread is one idea I had that moves us away from DRM to other interesting topics.

If you have an interesting topic to discuss, please feel free to start a thread.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Its not just DRM and piracy... its also new ubiquitous formats, old obfuscated or obscure formats, and how to convert between them

Oh yeah, and lots of "Look at my new toy" threads as well

Speaking of obscure and superfluous... anyone have an idea for a standard format for cookbooks?

but I agree that if word of the day is not off topic it is at least not "news", It belongs in a side column or somewhere else.

but I do love new words.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes, actually. Here is an example:

So much for that window of opportunity. It's curtains for the punsters, eh? You'll just be sitting on the window silliness waiting for a chance to be a pane?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
So much for that window of opportunity. It's curtains for the punsters, eh? You'll just be sitting on the window silliness waiting for a chance to be a pane?
Oh, that was really paneful, Jason. You're so bad!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Danny Fekete
Electronic Education Buff
Danny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the endDanny Fekete knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, iRex DR1000s, Sony Reader PRS 650

For folks what're interested, one of the more common (and hilarious) academic uses of defenestrate and its forms is The Defenestration of Prague, which can be learnt about here. The second example is the famous one, and involves doot.

- Danny

Last edited by Danny Fekete; 12-21-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Danny Fekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
philpalm
philpalm began at the beginning.

Device: sony clie tj-37
Some of the "avoid the fluff" reminds me of a library, where the librarian shusses everyone. Then again book readers are good at separating fluff from real meaty topics, its just that the topic was highlighted at 1src and I came to see the word of the day. I suppose if there were a lot of dial up internet folks then topics like this might be a waste of time....

Anyway if you have the broadbandwith, I say fill it up, hopefully the moderators spend time separating the spam out of it...

Don't defenstrate the baby out with the bathwater....
philpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I find that visualizing a word's meaning often helps me to remember it. So here is one and here's another for you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote