Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2014, 05:52 AM   #211
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know about that. What is the cost of the hardware for their $199 phone? I know the labor is probably in the neighborhood of $4 or $5 a unit (if that).
According to IHS, about $201.

Quote:
The BOM of the Amazon Fire Phone equipped with 32 gigabytes of NAND flash memory amounts to $201, according to a preliminary estimate by the Teardown Mobile Handsets Intelligence Service at IHS Technology. The cost of production rises to $205 when the $4 manufacturing expense is added.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #212
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
According to IHS, about $201.
I guess I'll take their word for it -- but I'm a bit skeptical.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #213
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess I'll take their word for it -- but I'm a bit skeptical.
They do make a living tearing products down and selling detailed reports of components and costs.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #214
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
They do make a living tearing products down and selling detailed reports of components and costs.
Yeah, but do they take into account the volume involved and the fact that costs drop as the components age? I.e., are these costs per unit (as you and I would buy them) or cost per unit in the volumes Amazon would buy?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #215
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yeah, but do they take into account the volume involved and the fact that costs drop as the components age? I.e., are these costs per unit (as you and I would buy them) or cost per unit in the volumes Amazon would buy?
I'm sure they do; otherwise, they'd lose their corporate customers. This is a billion dollar corporation.

Do you think it costs Amazon less to produce this phone?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #216
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I'm sure they do; otherwise, they'd lose their corporate customers. This is a billion dollar corporation.

Do you think it costs Amazon less to produce this phone?
I think the labor involved into the phone from start to finish is a lot higher - the assembly might cost $4, but don't all the components need to be made as well? Would be interesting to know (interesting to me) how much all labor is.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote