Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #46
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Yeah...i was meaning the releases before version 6. Basic things such as text resizing have never worked in the newer versions. It's disappointing to see lrf abandoned in this way mainly due to the 505's inability to handle epub properly but until i start paying the creator a salary, i really have no right to complain.
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #47
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***If it works perfectly for you, dont upgrade. Keep an eye on the list of new features and only if something compelling to you comes along, upgrade***

Thanks for the advice, Kovid. The old idea of not fixin' somethin' 'less it's broke is pretty sound. Will keep watching for tempting new Calibre features, though. Very best and thanks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The only thing that bugs me about Calibre is that the version I downloaded six months ago works so darned perfectly for me (mille thanks to Kovid and members here who recommended his excellent programme) that I'm scared to update. Here's more Karma to ya. Hoots. Neil
I save the old install files so if I ever need to go back, I can
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pars_andy View Post
Yeah...i was meaning the releases before version 6. Basic things such as text resizing have never worked in the newer versions. It's disappointing to see lrf abandoned in this way mainly due to the 505's inability to handle epub properly but until i start paying the creator a salary, i really have no right to complain.
Please don't spread such blatant misinformation. The 505 does handle ePub properly. If it didn't, I would not be using it.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #50
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Pars_Andy. I'm with JS on this. My entire Calibre library is now in ePub and the books present beautifully on my PRS-505. Maybe the snag's your end. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Hi Pars_Andy. I'm with JS on this. My entire Calibre library is now in ePub and the books present beautifully on my PRS-505. Maybe the snag's your end. Good luck. Neil
I think it works fine on his 505. It's that he doesn't like it left justified.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #52
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Than it is time to upgrade to PRS-900
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #53
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't spread such blatant misinformation. The 505 does handle ePub properly. If it didn't, I would not be using it.
It depends on what you mean by "properly".

As far as I am concerned, EPUB rendering on PRS-505 is unsatisfactory. So it is not "proper" in relation to my needs.

Also, EPUB rendering on PRS-505 has many flaws that violate the specifications. That also makes it "not proper", though in a different context.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
It depends on what you mean by "properly".

As far as I am concerned, EPUB rendering on PRS-505 is unsatisfactory. So it is not "proper" in relation to my needs.

Also, EPUB rendering on PRS-505 has many flaws that violate the specifications. That also makes it "not proper", though in a different context.

I disagree with your assessment. My 505 handles epub just fine as far as I'm concerned. Never an issue.

Please feel free to enumerate in detail the flaws that violate the specification.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #55
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

This discussion is sort of pointless. You will just have to accept that LRF is not and will not be actively supported in calibre any longer. You could give substantial donation to Kovid and thus induce his motivation to fix some bugs but that choice is up to you.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #56
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I disagree with your assessment.
My assessment was that PRS-505 EPUB rendering is unsatisfactory for my needs. I take it you disagree, that is, PRS-505 EPUB rendering is well suited to my needs.

Quote:
Please feel free to enumerate in detail the flaws that violate the specification.
If you like... Add this CSS specification to your book and see what happens:
Code:
* { font-style: italic; }
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #57
kiklop74
Guru

That is related to the Adobe DE implementation. The fonts shipped with version of DE used on Sony reader do not have support for italic style.

You could do this for a change (applies only to Sony readers):

Code:
@font-face {font-family: "serif1";src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf)} 
body{font-family: serif1,serif; font-style: italic}'
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #58
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
That is related to the Adobe DE implementation. The fonts shipped with version of DE used on Sony reader do not have support for italic style.
I'm pretty sure that Pepak is aware of that (just search for his contributions regarding ePub in the forum), though does it really matter? Italics doesn't work on the PRS-505 out of the box, you have to embed fonts. How would an average reader do this with his DRMed eBooks?

What about the 300KB hurdle? What about full justification? What about oeb-page-head (and all other oeb-styles as well)? There are so many unimplemented details on the PRS-505...i just can't count all.

Anyway, Sony could release a FW-Update including the current version of Adobe's Mobile Reader SDK (which is a different thing than Adobe DE, DE is just the desktop software). Sony doesn't release such an Update. Neither for the PRS-505 nor PRS-600 or PRS-700. Unsatisfactory. End of the story - well, from the viewpoint of an average reader.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #59
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
If you tried it before responding, you would know that this simple rule will make your Reader reboot. I am pretty certain that's not in the specifications.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
My assessment was that PRS-505 EPUB rendering is unsatisfactory for my needs. I take it you disagree, that is, PRS-505 EPUB rendering is well suited to my needs.

If you like... Add this CSS specification to your book and see what happens:
Code:
* { font-style: italic; }

And so then you are saying the EPUB Spec requires this to be supported?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lrf, right justify