Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Barns and Nobels and Books a Million

Do you think that Barns and Nobels and Books A Million will reamin in business for the forseable future?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
B&N yes. Their ebook and online divisions are doing well.

I have no idea about books a million. They don't have an ebook store and they don't really look to have much of a digital strategy...
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
B&N yes. Their ebook and online divisions are doing well.

I have no idea about books a million. They don't have an ebook store and they don't really look to have much of a digital strategy...
Actually, they do sell ebooks. They also sell Nooks. But they have their own iOS app ('BAM', a private-label version of Bluefire Reader, which also links to BAM's storefront. I have no insight as to what the apparent relationship with B&N is, I.e. why do they sell Nooks? Aren't they competitors?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
BAM seems to be diversifying. They just opened up a location at one of the old Border's near me, and it is entirely comics, movies, old action figures, and old video games (their PS2 section alone was bigger than most gamestops).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
I'm interested...BAM has its headquarters in my city. B&N also has stores here, and yes, they are competitors. I keep hoping B&N would merge or buy out BAM. B&N's sticks and bricks stores are so much better, and I would have a store within 10 min. from my house. Right now I have to drive 30 min. to the nearest B&N.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Do you think that Barns and Nobels and Books A Million will reamin in business for the forseable future?
Yes....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
BAM is a fun fiendly book store. They have a huge humor section at the one in Hoover, Alabama. As much cool merchandise as books. And Joe Muggs coffee, where you can get the best Kenya AA beans that I have ever had. Yummy. Gosh, I'm homesick now!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No BAM stores out west, so I've never been in one. But then, I've never been in a B&N store either. The first time I ever set foot in a Borders store was during a store closing to get a cheap Sony 350.

I stopped going to book stores when I stopped going to malls; sometime in the late 90's.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I've noticed a bit of a right-wing bias at my local BAM store. The 'Islam' section is filled with virulently anti-Islamic books, for example. The religion section is nearly entirely evangelical Christian with some Jewish books thrown in as an after thought. The Science Fiction section is decent, however, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they carry the Monthly Review.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
I've noticed a bit of a right-wing bias at my local BAM store. The 'Islam' section is filled with virulently anti-Islamic books, for example. The religion section is nearly entirely evangelical Christian with some Jewish books thrown in as an after thought. The Science Fiction section is decent, however, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they carry the Monthly Review.
I have noticed a similar bias at especially our Hastings store, not so much BAM. I live at the edge of the bible-belt so I would expect sales to dictate the stocking choices rather than being the result of a general store-wide policy. Most stocking these days is done blindly by computer based on what moves and what doesn't. I would expect bias to differ in various sections of the country. I certainly hope these stores aren't stacking the deck ...
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Yes. B&N more-so, however, becuase both their store and online presence are strong, whereas Books A Million has been losing stores, but seems to have a stable online presence.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I went into my local Books a Million today. It is amazing how the store no longer makes an effort to keep their books alphabetized. It was pathetic how out of order they were.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote