Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
Smile New firmware coming for US Story HD Wi-Fi

After only 3 weeks I got a response from my emails to iriver concerning the lack of info on version 1.25 on their website and a request for a larger font on the dictionary function.

Their reply:

Dear iriver customer,

Thank you for contacting iriver customer support.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

1. The 1.25 US firmware version for the Wi-Fi model has a minor error which is currently being worked on to be fixed. A new firmware version will be released soon. When it is released, we will make sure to put up information regarding the new updates with the latest firmware.
2. The font adjustment with the dictionary is unavailable at the moment. We will submit a request to see if font adjustment with the dictionary is possible or not.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please email us back at any time.

Thanks & Regards,

Customer & Tech Support
Jonathan Cho
iriver Inc.
Tel: 949-336-4540/4541
www.iriverinc.com
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Device: none
firmware wishes

Maybe it would be a good idea to collect users' wishes for the new firmware?

If we do it one-by-one they won't sound statistically important:

e.g. for me a must is having a list of recently read books, for easier switching (I don't think I am alone in reading several books at the same time?) instead of a single "reading now" book.

And in my layman opinion, it should not be too difficult to implement
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckz View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to collect users' wishes for the new firmware?

If we do it one-by-one they won't sound statistically important:

e.g. for me a must is having a list of recently read books, for easier switching (I don't think I am alone in reading several books at the same time?) instead of a single "reading now" book.

And in my layman opinion, it should not be too difficult to implement
That's what I use the Favorites feature for. And if you keep the main menu in the "recent" category, it bumps the books you are currently reading to the top. So if you are reading 4 or 5 books at a time they will all be right there on the first page. But I don't disagree that it would be a nice feature.

I'm glad I'm not holding my breath for the new firmware. I thought it was eminent but realize now that was simply what i wanted to believe.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's an 1.29 for the US Wifi now (released 2nd February 2012). It's tagged as dev version though, not sure if it's already available for OTA upgrade. Not sure about the exact changes; the patch contains a new kernel image, a "p {font-size: 1em}" css property for whatever reason, a new font, and updated files for the book and comic viewers (no idea what's actually been changed for those). Maybe someone who owns the US device could check if their reader downloads an update already or not and if they can make out any changes.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
CJJ
Zealot

No OTA update yet. Still states 1.25 as latest firmware. Nothing updated on site yet either. Hell, they still haven't put 1.25 on their site. At least it means they're working on it-I guess.

Where are you seeing this? Just curious, not brave enough to try it.

Last edited by CJJ; 02-03-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: add text
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today the same thing appeared for the German wifi model (1.29 dev version). So there is progress, yes?

It doesn't include the odd p font-size 1em property the US version has (doesn't make sense to me anyway), otherwise it's pretty much the same. The new font is a CJK font so not particularly useful for english/german, probably related to the korean version of the Story HD. There's a new GUI image called "half indicator" so it indicates the half of something, of what, who knows.

Quote:
Where are you seeing this?
The reader downloads an XML file when it checks for updates, which contains version information and download links to the OTA patch files.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
CJJ
Zealot

wow frostshutz, you are quite the under-the-hood mechanic aren't you. Interesting stuff as always.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
chuckz
Enthusiast
chuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watchchuckz is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ View Post
That's what I use the Favorites feature for. And if you keep the main menu in the "recent" category, it bumps the books you are currently reading to the top. So if you are reading 4 or 5 books at a time they will all be right there on the first page. But I don't disagree that it would be a nice feature.
I don't see the Favorites feature at all. Where do you find it?
Pressing Option does not show anything like that.

I have the USA version 1.25

The iriver site shows only download for the 1.21 (Story HD Wifi)

A while ago I sent E-mail asking about that - they said: don't worry, as soon as the firmware is available it will download automatically to your device when connected to Internet.
I checked today - nothing (it did download when I bought the device in December though - meaning that the online update works in general but where is it?).

It's all sound confusing, like the site and the support are not being managed as they should.

Anyway, as cheap as the e-readers are becoming, I might become tired of lack of features and would be ready to switch if nothing happens. Basically, I am only attached to the Story because of the higher screen resolution.

Last edited by chuckz; 02-10-2012 at 01:27 PM.
chuckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
If you have it on Collection View instead of Folder View (although I don't know why anyone would), then you can mark favorites with the space bar, and there is a menu tab for Favorites.

1.25 is still the most recent firmware for the USA Story HD Wi-Fi. When a newer one is available, it will download when connected as you were told. I don't know why they've never put it on the website, though.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

1.29 should be out now for the US version
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I just installed 1.29. I went to check, and found that moving from one jpg to the next in the directory works again. Yay! And this update didn't mess with my time settings. Even if nothing else was changed I'd be happy with it.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote