Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Win81 Update Coming April 8

Windows Update/Microsoft Update (WU/MU) will begin pushing down a Windows 8.1 Update that includes additional features for keyboard and mouse users starting April 8th. The update will go to all Windows 8.1 users, and will be the minimum basis for updates moving forward.

This update, which is already available on MSDN Subscriber Downloads, adds relatively minor features, but ones that do improve the user experience for keyboard and mouse users. Some that I've noticed already:
  • The Taskbar is visible on the Start (Tiles) page.
  • Metro apps can be put on the taskbar. (And the Store app is put there by default)
  • There's an X button on Metro/ModernUI apps to close it!!
  • When you go to the Start page, you can see how many apps have been installed recently, and they're highlighted in the Apps page.
  • You can shutdown or log out without having to use the Charms menu.
  • There's a Search icon on the Start page.
I'm sure there are others that I haven't noticed yet, but all of these are useful little additions.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sound like useful enhancements - thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Windows Update/Microsoft Update (WU/MU) will begin pushing down a Windows 8.1 Update that includes additional features for keyboard and mouse users starting April 8th. The update will go to all Windows 8.1 users, and will be the minimum basis for updates moving forward.

This update, which is already available on MSDN Subscriber Downloads, adds relatively minor features, but ones that do improve the user experience for keyboard and mouse users. Some that I've noticed already:
  • The Taskbar is visible on the Start (Tiles) page.
  • Metro apps can be put on the taskbar. (And the Store app is put there by default)
  • There's an X button on Metro/ModernUI apps to close it!!
  • When you go to the Start page, you can see how many apps have been installed recently, and they're highlighted in the Apps page.
  • You can shutdown or log out without having to use the Charms menu.
  • There's a Search icon on the Start page.
I'm sure there are others that I haven't noticed yet, but all of these are useful little additions.
Just made the update on 2 of my systems.
I don't see all the updates you mention, though:
[*]The Taskbar is visible on the Start (Tiles) page.
I don't find it?
[*]Metro apps can be put on the taskbar. (And the Store app is put there by default)
Okay.
[*]There's an X button on Metro/ModernUI apps to close it!!
In which Metro app, for example? I don't see it on the Microsoft ones (weather, news, ...) for example.
EDIT: Ah, I see. The "x" only is visible when moving to the upper corner via your mouse.
[*]When you go to the Start page, you can see how many apps have been installed recently, and they're highlighted in the Apps page.
Not tested yet.
[*]You can shutdown or log out without having to use the Charms menu.
Okay.
[*]There's a Search icon on the Start page.
Okay.

Last edited by mgmueller; 04-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure why you're not seeing the taskbar on the main Tiles page. It's certainly here on mine. Ah, but only when you enter the tiles menu from the desktop. Not when you enter it from a Metro/ModernUI app. Makes sense, I guess.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'll probably download it in the next few days; the servers are probably overloaded now.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'll probably download it in the next few days; the servers are probably overloaded now.
It was about 800MB on my Surface Pro 2 and about 450MB on Venue 8 Pro. No biggy, downloaded both within less than 30 minutes.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Not sure why you're not seeing the taskbar on the main Tiles page. It's certainly here on mine. Ah, but only when you enter the tiles menu from the desktop. Not when you enter it from a Metro/ModernUI app. Makes sense, I guess.
I see it now. Same as with the "x" for closing the app: It only works with a mouse, not with the stylus. Should have thought of that, since the update was mainly aiming for users of mouse and keyboard. Still a bit strange though, for tablets...
Frankly, I don't see the benefit of this feature. The task bar disappears, it doesn't remain permanently or reappears (for example when moving the mouse to the bezel).
Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I see it now. Same as with the "x" for closing the app: It only works with a mouse, not with the stylus. Should have thought of that, since the update was mainly aiming for users of mouse and keyboard. Still a bit strange though, for tablets...
Frankly, I don't see the benefit of this feature. The task bar disappears, it doesn't remain permanently or reappears (for example when moving the mouse to the bezel).
Instant access to programs I'm currently running (including Metro apps, I might add), and those programs I've added permanently to the taskbar. Big deal for me. Makes me more willing to use a metro app.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Mine comes and goes. Sometimes I can make it appear and sometimes I can't. Haven't yet been able to determine exactly what triggers it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #10
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Win81?

Woah, I seem to have missed 73 versions.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Win81?

Woah, I seem to have missed 73 versions.
"Win81" is an entirely normal way of referring to Windows 8.1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Mine comes and goes. Sometimes I can make it appear and sometimes I can't. Haven't yet been able to determine exactly what triggers it.

Dale
Mine only appears once, directly when switching from the desktop to the Metro view. The only use I see for that, would be switching back immediately to one of the desktop apps I've added to the taskbar. But as soon as I do anything else in Metro, the taskbar is gone and never returns.
I'd see the benefit, if it would remain permanently. Then you more conveniently could see all the active apps, Metro and desktop alike. But since it immediately disappears after the very first single action, I find it a bit strange.

In general, I've got mixed feelings about the update.
I've never had any problems with the "separation" of desktop and Metro. Quite the contrary. For me it was kind of "Metro = gadget", "desktop = business/professional".
Bringing both worlds together to me seems like an effort to match the toys (iPad, Android) to which Windows 8 never should compete in the first place.

Actually, I even think they should have hidden the desktop more deeply into the system.
The Metro UI (with the exception of the sheer number of apps which is way more massive on iOS or Android) is perfectly fine as a touch friendly GUI.
The desktop, at least to me, is kind of a "separate island". Some may not even need it at all and never should be confronted with it.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
The taskbar will be shown in metro (modern) style when you move your mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen. Only if you use mouse, and not stylus or touch.
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #14
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post
The taskbar will be shown in metro (modern) style when you move your mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen. Only if you use mouse, and not stylus or touch.
Doesn't work for me.
The taskbar appears once, when switching from the desktop to Metro.
After a single action, the taskbar is gone and I can't make it appear again.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Something that had me freaked with the update: I have the taskbar set to autohide and when I upgraded I couldn't get it to come back up on the desktop with a tap at the bottom of the screen, which made autohide unusable. I discovered by accident that if you turn OFF the "Show Windows Store Apps in taskbar" option in the taskbar properties it works properly again. Not sure why this is, but my taskbar autohide is working properly so I'll live with is. This is on an Acer Iconia tablet.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote