Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Maybe Sony Did the Right Thing

In not going with a lighted screen this year. I've been reading the Nook, Kindle & Kobo responses to the Go lights & while some are happy there has been quite a few people not happy with them. Sounds like these readers may need a bit more development.

I did originally order a Paperwhite but canceled it the next day. After reading the reviews here at Mobilread & at the Kindle board I'm glad I did. Once again, I know some are quite happy, but quite a few have blotchy screens.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
In not going with a lighted screen this year. I've been reading the Nook, Kindle & Kobo responses to the Go lights & while some are happy there has been quite a few people not happy with them. Sounds like these readers may need a bit more development.

I did originally order a Paperwhite but canceled it the next day. After reading the reviews here at Mobilread & at the Kindle board I'm glad I did. Once again, I know some are quite happy, but quite a few have blotchy screens.
Kobo Glo owners have not been complaining about blotchy screens, in fact, many have posted on the Kobo forum about how good the screens are. Where did you get that info?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I will say it is nowhere near as bad as the issues with the Paperwhite. But there has been a mention or two of a slightly blotchy screen. I had it all printed out & ready to post & I hit the wrong button & lost the post. Here it is. Still I think the Kobo seems to be a better screen. But I don't know how many Kobos are out there compared to Kindles.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193587
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Remember you will always hear waaay more about the negative things, than the good things. So the relatively few Glo issues that have been out there, is probably just a normal thing. The PW on the other hand.. Wauw!
David Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Me, I'd be happy with just the higher resolution screen, I find the light from my Sony covers to be nice and even and not eye unfriendly. I have seen the Nook Glow, and my eyes hated that. I'm guessing from the pics of the Kindle Paperwhite and the reviews, my eyes probably wouldn't like it any better.

Here's hoping that when Sony does it, they don't just follow the crowd and put out some dubious lighting system. I'd rather wait and see them absolutely nail it.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
... I find the light from my Sony covers to be nice and even and not eye unfriendly ...
Do you find that the lighted cover adds a lot of weight?

At first I was bumming that the T2 didn't have a built-in light, but now I'm wondering if Sony knew that the technology isn't "perfect" yet and decided not to open that particular can of worms (bright spots, uneven lighting, color blotches ...)

I've been thinking about the Sony lighted cover, but if the specs are right, the cover is heavier than the reader itself -- 8 oz for the cover vs 5.9 oz for the reader. Does the extra weight ever bother you?
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I was originally tempted by the Paperwhite, then decided to wait and see, and I'm so glad I did. I decided I'm going to hold out and wait for Sony to do a glow screen and hopefully do it better. I still love my 350s and don't really have any reason to even want a new reader other than the lighted screen to save having to carry around a light. But the 350 with the lighted cover is still smaller than the Paperwhite, so I'm not really saving anything there if I were to switch to a Paperwhite. And after reading all the problems with it, I'm very glad I didn't do an impulse buy.

There's so many reasons I stayed away from Kindles to begin with, I know I'd end up hating the software compared to the Sony even if I did like the lighted screen. I just hope Sony gets rid of the curved bottom, it's something that I really really hate and that would probably prevent me from buying a Sony if it still has it. Yes, I know, I'm really picky. Same with the high gloss finishes, but at least you can put a skin over that to get rid of it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I will say it is nowhere near as bad as the issues with the Paperwhite. But there has been a mention or two of a slightly blotchy screen. I had it all printed out & ready to post & I hit the wrong button & lost the post. Here it is. Still I think the Kobo seems to be a better screen. But I don't know how many Kobos are out there compared to Kindles.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193587
You actually found the one and only post about a blotchy Glo Screen in all the Kobo threads!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Does the paperwhite make the eyes feel more comfortable?

I find the original kindles kind to the eyes. I have trouble reading paper books.

You cannot go to a store and try it out as Kindle has no stores!
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Read post #10 by vxf in this thread about the light:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...95#post2255095

My eyes are real light-sensitive, so I'm not sure how comfortable it would be reading at night on a glow light screen for me. Another reason I'm happy to wait for Sony to do it and hopefully do it better than Kindle did.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Do you find that the lighted cover adds a lot of weight?

I've been thinking about the Sony lighted cover, but if the specs are right, the cover is heavier than the reader itself -- 8 oz for the cover vs 5.9 oz for the reader. Does the extra weight ever bother you?
It is not bothering me, and I am sometimes bothered by holding heavy hard cover paper books.

Naturally it would be nice to have a solution contained within the reader itself, less weight being better, but until such is perfected, the lighted cover solution is fine by me. More important to me is that my reader remains eye friendly.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Its Hard to weigh the Good & Bad about Any Product. No one post Good about anything! And All New products have gliches.... To me its about Customer Service! IF the Comapny has a Great rep on CS I tend to give it a try! If Not Forgetaboutit LOL
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Thanks graycyn! This is helpful. I usually have good light where I read, but there are a few occasions when I need extra light and it sounds like the lighted cover may be a good solution.

It does seem as if Sony made a calculated decision to forgo the built-in light (at least for now) and focus instead on perfecting the reads-like-a-paper-book experience. I think they've succeeded in this, especially with the T2, which is very paper-like (imho) and a joy to read in good light.

Was this the right business decision on Sony's part? Hard to say. On the one hand, they may have saved themselves from the Kindle Paperwhite color-blotch nightmare, the Nook easy-to-scratch/bright-spot headache, and even the Kobo Glo is getting a few reports of bright pixels and pinholes(?).

On the other hand, if I frequently found myself in low-light situations, I would be tempted by the Kobo Glo.

I'd be curious to know whether B&N sells more of the Nooks with Glow Light or the straight Nooks with no light.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 10-14-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: accuracy
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #14
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
You actually found the one and only post about a blotchy Glo Screen in all the Kobo threads!
That's about it. Kobo Glo user reviews have been almost entirely, if you'll pardon the pun, glowing.

Still, that means only 1/3 companies have got it right. That means the majority haven't. So maybe the OP's suggestion that the odds were against Sony is actually valid. After all, so far Kobo seems to be the *only* company who's got it right.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Kobo seems to have gotten it right. Kindle has maybe had a bad first batch. Sony got I wrong because despite not having light tech its the same price as the other readers. If they had come out with their T2 for only 69.99. Then I could see how they might have made a wise move until waiting until light tech was more fleshed out.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote