Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
lmclean260
lmclean260 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo won't turn off

I am suddenly having a problem shutting down my kobo. When I hold the power button, it doesn't respond. If I release and press it again, the reader restarts and doesn't remember anything from the last session and puts you back to the page you started on.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
lmclean260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclean260 View Post
I am suddenly having a problem shutting down my kobo. When I hold the power button, it doesn't respond. If I release and press it again, the reader restarts and doesn't remember anything from the last session and puts you back to the page you started on.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Are you holding down the power button for a few seconds and expecting the kobo to shut down? From your description is seems you didn't release the power button after a few seconds and wait for the shutdown.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
That was my biggest, actually the only, issue I had with my Kobo - shutting it down. Sooo frustrating! Sometimes it would not 'take', tried again, went to sleep mode, had to power up again (sigh) - And sometimes when it DID shut down - the screen was all messed up, so I had to turn on and shut down again (and it's not like it turns right on like a kindle). It happened quite often too (I read up to the last minute before I have to get off the bus.) Argggh! Just turn off already!! It should not be so difficult!!!
Makes me pretty happy that I can now get library books on my Kindle!
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
That was my biggest, actually the only, issue I had with my Kobo - shutting it down. Sooo frustrating! Sometimes it would not 'take', tried again, went to sleep mode, had to power up again (sigh) - And sometimes when it DID shut down - the screen was all messed up, so I had to turn on and shut down again (and it's not like it turns right on like a kindle). It happened quite often too (I read up to the last minute before I have to get off the bus.) Argggh! Just turn off already!! It should not be so difficult!!!
Makes me pretty happy that I can now get library books on my Kindle!
How about simply setting the time to sleep to something like 10 min.. Then you can just leave it alone and it'll turn itself off. I understand that since eInk readers do not use power unless it is turning pages or the wireless connection that it really doesn't make much difference whether you have it never sleeping, sleeping, or turned off. The only reason I have mine turned off is so that it will always check itself when it powers on.. May take a while to start reading as opposed to never sleeping or going into sleep mode, but it gives me a sense of less stuff going wrong..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
it really doesn't make much difference whether you have it never sleeping, sleeping, or turned off.
Actually, the readers battery lasts about three times longer if shut off rather than put to sleep.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Are you holding down the power button for a few seconds and expecting the kobo to shut down? From your description is seems you didn't release the power button after a few seconds and wait for the shutdown.
A few days after I upgraded to software version 1.9, my Kobo started doing the same thing. Using the previous cersion, I would hold the power button until I got the "Powered Off" screen with the book cover of whatever I was reading.

Now, it doesn't do that. Nor does it go to that screen no matter what length of time I press the power button. All that happens is that it does power off, but leaves the page I'm reading on the screen. When I press the power on )and hold it) again, it powers up normally.

Further, page turns are sporadic. It will seldom turn a page if I press the page turn switch within about 5 seconds of a new page coming up. Pressing the power button momentarily to put it into sleep mode, if it works at all, results in a pause of about three or 4 seconds, followed by about 10 seconds of that little "working" indication in the upper right, and FINALLY showing me the Sleep mode screen. I have taken to either putting up with the sleep delay or leaving it to go to sleep by itself if I can't spare the time to wait for it.

I wanted to either go back to the previous version or reload the 1.9 software, but Kobo is of no help at all, telling me I can do neither. If anyone knows where I can get a 1.8 or 1.9 software file, I'd be grateful.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
verovit
verovit began at the beginning.

I suddently started to have this problem last week. I have used my kobo touch since christmass without any problems but now this is very annoying.

So I tried upgrading to firmware 2.0. Nice firmware, but not much success for the power button.

Anyone has found a solution ?
verovit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
When you say "won't turn off" is this via the button, or the sleep settings?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
verovit
verovit began at the beginning.

Sometimes it powers on alone, sometimes it powers off alone too. This morning for example, it reseted without me even touching it.

And when i use the power button, I have to play with it at leas 4 times before it does anything...
verovit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Keith McMullan
Keith McMullan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
How about simply setting the time to sleep to something like 10 min.. Then you can just leave it alone and it'll turn itself off. I understand that since eInk readers do not use power unless it is turning pages or the wireless connection that it really doesn't make much difference whether you have it never sleeping, sleeping, or turned off. The only reason I have mine turned off is so that it will always check itself when it powers on.. May take a while to start reading as opposed to never sleeping or going into sleep mode, but it gives me a sense of less stuff going wrong..
I'm not sure that sleep mode actually uses no energy as the software is still running...
Keith McMullan is offline   Reply With Quote