Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Who wants a Kindle?

A good sign that ebook readers are becoming more popular. They are subject to parody.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15751...ts-kindle.html
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
McDoof
McDoof is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Kindle gets cracked

I'm sure many of you have seen this spoof Kindle ad already, but even though I'm a Sony ebook reader reader, I found myself feeling a bit defensive...

I am indeed guilty of having too many ebooks on me at all times, but I think it's comparable to my other irrational habit (that no doubt many people who scoff at ebook excesses have as well): bringing most of my CD collection (80GB) with me wherever I go. I certainly don't NEED all those tunes (and the Bible/Richard Dawkins swipe is a literary analog to my own Bill Monroe/Dead Prez MP3's).

I'd love to hear some reactions to the film from ebook readers and MP3 junkies like me. They make some points, but I think the target they chose is an easy one for snarky web freaks with an aversion to lengthy texts.

I'm willing to concede that my media consumption is decadent, but I think it's healthier than meth, am I right?

Off to read Don Quixote. BRB

Last edited by McDoof; 12-14-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: fine tuning
McDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
A good sign that ebook readers are becoming more popular. They are subject to parody.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15751...ts-kindle.html
That was good
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Two threads have been merged.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm a book junkie and I make no bones about it. I'm counting on my Kindle to allow me to retain more books in my "Permanent Collection" than I could keep as paper books. But, the majority of my books are on back-up media, not on the Kindle itself. I'm paranoid about losing my data, so it's backed up 3 levels -- not only my eBooks, but my digital scrapbooking supplies, photos, and e-mail archives!

The MP3 story is quite different. A couple of Christmases ago, my hubby gave me a video iPod, so I used iTunes to put 3 or 4 of my favorite albums on the iPod. Hubby kept encouraging me to put more on it, but I didn't want to take the time and I was happy enough with what was there. (After all, each car had a 12-CD changer with MP3s on each disk, and there was a stack of additional MP3 CDs ready to go into the single CD slot.) Comes a time in early March and I had a business trip out of town. I returned to discover that my iPod now had 450 albums on it and hubby had built 4 or 5 custom playlists. We now refer to the iPod as "Dad's iPod'!

What I *would* be interested in, however, is putting an audible book (unabridged only) onto a portable device such as the iPod or my Kindle. I know the Kindle will play MP3s, but I haven't figured out if I can create a playlist to make sure that the tracks get played in the right sequence.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
No, no playlist. Sorry. You would have to download just one file at a time. The Kindle insists on playing mp3's randomly. Now, if you buy things from www.audible.com, that is apparently a different audio format. You download that to a Kindle dir called "Audible", not "music". That has a control panel for backing up a bit (if you weren't listening due to a distraction), etc. You might search in these forums for the word audible and kindle together.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
What I *would* be interested in, however, is putting an audible book (unabridged only) onto a portable device such as the iPod or my Kindle. I know the Kindle will play MP3s, but I haven't figured out if I can create a playlist to make sure that the tracks get played in the right sequence.
There isn't a playlist (yet). But what you can do is put the mp3s in the Audible folder instead of music. If you do this the mp3s will show up as audiobooks. Then you can use the Audible menu to play them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
This is something that the iPod is still FAR better at than any eBook reader. I use my iPod primarily for audio books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote