Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
butterbescotch
Enthusiast
butterbescotch began at the beginning.

Device: none
Arrow How to change font size and font style?

So, I'm guessing I have to put some codes.
So where do I put it and what code are they?

butterbescotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

you can see how t font size is defined from your picture - just add it / amend it for other styles. look at book code to see what styles are being used & where.

I don't use font-types : command but it has similar syntax - google font-type css
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You may not want to specify the font or the base size, as then you might not be able to modify it on the ereader or app. If this is for just your own use, then fine, but if potentially for other users, leave it to be adjusted by the user.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
You should be able to see font-size on each of several different classes in your css. Different classes may possibly have different size text. chaptertitle may have a size of 1.5 while "normal" text may be 1. Depending on what text it is you're wanting to change, how many classes your epub had, where and how they're used, you may only need to modify one or a very few classes or you may need to modify many. You'll need to look through the epub to determine that.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

most e reader devices replace all fonts with their own built-in fonts anyway - certainly both Kindle & Sony readers do - so focus mainly on font sizes,

there is in HTML / EPUB an option to use "simple" font sizes of small , large etc rather than precise measurements. also text in header tags will default to being larger than text in paragraphs without you specifying it in detail.
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
also text in header tags will default to being larger than text in paragraphs without you specifying it in detail.
If you choose to "allow" this, that is.

You can set your own size/weight/color/whatever for your headers. I rarely like how large some of the larger headings get so I set my own size.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
If you choose to "allow" this, that is.

You can set your own size/weight/color/whatever for your headers. I rarely like how large some of the larger headings get so I set my own size.
I am with you.
I have specified size for headers. Some of this is to allow nested TOC entries based upon H#, and to keep the size down to fit a 5" device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
butterbescotch
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

-------------

there is in HTML / EPUB an option to use "simple" font sizes of small , large etc rather than precise measurements.

Where do I get this option?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbescotch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

-------------

there is in HTML / EPUB an option to use "simple" font sizes of small , large etc rather than precise measurements.

Where do I get this option?
It is a part of the CSS 2 specification.

How well it is supported on your (and other) readers ?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
butterbescotch
Enthusiast

Oh thanks.

-------------

But editing format in Sigil is a tedious work especially there are many styles.
Can I do the formating in a word processing program and still have the same results?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Oh thanks.

-------------

But editing format in Sigil is a tedious work especially there are many styles.
Can I do the formating in a word processing program and still have the same results?
That is how you got 'Many styles' in the first place
Word processors tend to make trashy conversions

There is no reason a simple book should have more than 10 styles.

Body
cover style
titlepage style
Chapter title block style
First Paragraph (optional), dropcap (optional)
regular paragraphs (can be default body stle. so redundent
scene break style
fine-print style (copyright, raves)
Old 03-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
butterbescotch
Enthusiast

But which is better in formating Sigil or Word? In terms of ePub and PDF.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But which is better in formating Sigil or Word? In terms of ePub and PDF.
Neither

PDF is a PAPER Print format, NOT a re-flowable, 'reader' format, therefor TERRIBLE for ebooks on smaller screens.

WORD is also for creating documents that have NO LAYOUT RESTRICTIONS.
EPUB is a special set of XHTML.
The minute you include a an 'illegal command' in your Word document, your perceived formatting advantage is blown
Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

my sony prs650 had in issue with a font name & style arial italic bold font.

I was reading a tweaked book, which looked fine in sigil & in calibre, but on the sony my chapter titles had vanished!
I checked the CSS and the chapter titles were explicity set , with a style of arial and also of italic , as well as being tagged as <h2>

once I removed the font name from CSS ,and also removed the italic for good measure, & re-sent to sony all was well again.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
my sony prs650 had in issue with a font name & style arial italic bold font.

I was reading a tweaked book, which looked fine in sigil & in calibre, but on the sony my chapter titles had vanished!
I checked the CSS and the chapter titles were explicity set , with a style of arial and also of italic , as well as being tagged as <h2>

once I removed the font name from CSS ,and also removed the italic for good measure, & re-sent to sony all was well again.
all you need is to add a 'fall-back' name(s) to the list. If the font is not on your device, the next will be tried (Ariel is a sans-serif family of fonts)