Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire
johnnycb began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Aluratek Libre Review if you're looking to buy one!

Well from reading a bunch of your posts Ive been thinking about getting one! so today I went to the local NCIX and purchased an on sale $139.99 Aluratek Libre, then rushed on home !

The first thing I did was put a few PDF's in well.... the pdf's I converted to apparently pdf's were already PDF's and it made the files look crappy!

I was seriously getting cold sweats at that point regretting my purchase of my $139.99 calculator

I then updated my Libre firmware and it made a huge difference! everything is extremely fast compared to the official firmware it comes with!.

I opened it up and started to charge it, I loaded a couple self converted epubs from one of sam kieths novels! Scratch - Im not really a comic reader like at all but I was pleasantly surprised once I turned off that reflow feature and turned it widescreen! I could read it perfectly fine 100% awesome!

threw some music and animation model sheets on it - both work great!

then the ultimate test! threw on a 35mb walter stanchfield animation pdf on it! and what can I say.......... What a Brilliant machine! - worked flawlessly!

Im 100% positive that this machinene was well worth the money!

the screen is a calculator tone but alittle bit lighter and definately more advanced! the sony ereader is alot whiter of a screen!

if your looking for an E-reader that actually has a reasonable price tag, go with this Aluratek Libre!

Does any one know when we will be getting font support or how we can change the font to something alittle more interesting?

"just becuase its an old B&W tv doesnt mean it cant play dvds "

thanks guys and Im also new here

Hello everyone
johnnycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycb View Post
Well from reading a bunch of your posts Ive been thinking about getting one! so today I went to the local NCIX and purchased an on sale $139.99 Aluratek Libre, then rushed on home !

The first thing I did was put a few PDF's in well.... the pdf's I converted to apparently pdf's were already PDF's and it made the files look crappy!

I was seriously getting cold sweats at that point regretting my purchase of my $139.99 calculator

I then updated my Libre firmware and it made a huge difference! everything is extremely fast compared to the official firmware it comes with!.

I opened it up and started to charge it, I loaded a couple self converted epubs from one of sam kieths novels! Scratch - Im not really a comic reader like at all but I was pleasantly surprised once I turned off that reflow feature and turned it widescreen! I could read it perfectly fine 100% awesome!

threw some music and animation model sheets on it - both work great!

then the ultimate test! threw on a 35mb walter stanchfield animation pdf on it! and what can I say.......... What a Brilliant machine! - worked flawlessly!

Im 100% positive that this machinene was well worth the money!

the screen is a calculator tone but alittle bit lighter and definately more advanced! the sony ereader is alot whiter of a screen!

if your looking for an E-reader that actually has a reasonable price tag, go with this Aluratek Libre!

Does any one know when we will be getting font support or how we can change the font to something alittle more interesting?

"just becuase its an old B&W tv doesnt mean it cant play dvds "

thanks guys and Im also new here

Hello everyone
If you are interested, in my local Costco at Port Coquitlam, Libre 's price was reduced from $159 to $139 last week I think this is the second reduction for the last month.
I like JBL better and I got it from NCIX for $119 last Wednesday.
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

"Does any one know when we will be getting font support or how we can change the font to something a little more interesting?"

.epub formats with embedded fonts work well, just need to find .epubs that have them. ( or build them yourself with Sigil )
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperger View Post
"Does any one know when we will be getting font support or how we can change the font to something a little more interesting?"

.epub formats with embedded fonts work well, just need to find .epubs that have them. ( or build them yourself with Sigil )
I am wondering about the same question, I was actually going to ask that aswell !

but whats really interesting is my libre says I can connect to the computer through wifi on the box and the serial numbers add up! but I have nowhere to click to find the feature on it right now!

maybe with a new firmware update their could possibly be a new browser option? - they just havent mentioned it!

if you want to center and make a folder always be at the top do this!

------ Johns PDF's ------

copy and paste that foldername then just change the text

Last edited by johnnycb; 04-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by valcho View Post
If you are interested, in my local Costco at Port Coquitlam, Libre 's price was reduced from $159 to $139 last week I think this is the second reduction for the last month.
I like JBL better and I got it from NCIX for $119 last Wednesday.
That's how much I bought the libre for $139.99 this morning! I didnt expect it to run huge pdfs becuase people were talking like its extremely slow or something! mine has little to no lag while reading huge pdfs! like the "Animators Survival kit". - this little machine is pumping out some tunes right now

I bought mine in the burnaby NCIX!
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Welcome, johnnycb!

I picked up the Libre a few months ago because it had more formats than the Sony I was considering, and I'm still very happy with my purchase.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

"(...)says I can connect to the computer through wifi on the box"

I'd keep that box, now all you need is a good lawyer to make them back up that claim
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Welcome, johnnycb!

I picked up the Libre a few months ago because it had more formats than the Sony I was considering, and I'm still very happy with my purchase.
yea Im actually extremely impressed because from what Ive got from browsing here people with other more expensive readers are saying this device is slow for huge pdfs! and it certainly is not!

not to mention its mp3 player is perfect and has most of the options a normal mp3 player has like shuffle songs and repeat once and play! its perfect!

- to what ever beast spawned this! you did a good job at not ripping us off!

Last edited by johnnycb; 04-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperger View Post
"(...)says I can connect to the computer through wifi on the box"

I'd keep that box, now all you need is a good lawyer to make them back up that claim
Now that I think about it heres the quote!

"Aluratek's "Libre" connects to any computer with an internet connection for easy access to the most recent books that are published as well as access to free timeless classics"

maybe just wrong choice of wording from the language barrier!

it should really say the libre can connect to any computer for easy access to most recent books!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
johnnycb
PlaysWithFire

The earphones you get with it are actually not that bad either better than the crappy ones I got with my third sony gig mp3 player! yeah they all died the last I hade was made in china and thats the last sony mp3 player im buying

I like sony alot, but their mp3s are either totally impressive or made in china and crappy! too bad we arent all rich but I think we deserve alittle quality