Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Search from clipboard plugin

*** This plugin has now been moved to it's own thread - download from the link below ***
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118765

This plugin offers several shortcuts to execute a Calibre search using whatever text is on the clipboard. Windows shortcut keys shown.
Ctrl+S - Execute a wide search (no quotes around clipboard text)
Ctrl+Shift+S - Execute an exact search (adds quotes around clipboard text if none existing)

I mostly use it when browsing the web and spot an author or title that I want to see if I already have in Calibre. Copy the web text to the clipboard, switch focus to Calibre then hit ctrl+S (or it's alternative). I find this more convenient than selecting the existing search text in the search box, pasting in the clipboard and hitting enter.

It can also be handy when resolving duplicates within Calibre as you can select the title of the book and do ctrl+c, ctrl+s to execute a search on it (the Calibre built-in "Similar search" option does not include titles as an option). Likewise if you do a wide rather than narrow search (i.e. without quotes) it can also offer a fast way to help find authors that differ in minor ways such as spaces between initials, names reversed etc.

Special Notes:

I have not tested this plugin on anything other than Windows. If someone running Calibre can feedback success or failure on other platforms it would be appreciated by others I am sure.

Installation Steps:
  • Follow steps as per first post above
  • I don't bother adding this item to my toolbar/context menu as it's intent is as a fast keyboard shortcut. It is however possible to do so.

Last edited by kiwidude; 01-27-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Moved to own thread
Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@kiwidude: You can hit / and Ctrl+V to achieve the same thing without the plugin
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #18
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@kiwidude: You can hit / and Ctrl+V to achieve the same thing without the plugin
I was aware of that shortcut thanks but it doesn't do quite the same. / just moves focus to the search box, but the selection cursor is placed at the end of whatever text was in it. You still have to clear the search text before pasting in your new selection and hit enter. And the "exact" search option I coded with ctrl+shift+s putting quotes around the text isn't available either. So it turns a minimum of 4 and 6 keystrokes respectively into one that is by far more convenient (I can do the whole sequence with my left hand not moving and right can stay on the mouse). Handy when you are checking a bunch of books one after another switching between the browser/Calibre.

As an aside I would propose that it would be a nice minor improvement to Calibre if the search box behaved more like web browsers and many apps in that when focus is shifted to it via that shortcut all of the current text is selected ready for over-typing? You are less likely to have shifted focus away from the search box unless you had found what you wanted and now want a different search. The user can always hit "End" or a cursor key if they want to refine the text in there, but holding backspace down or pressing shift-Home for the most common case of a new search (for me anyways) gets a bit repetitive and puts both hands back on the keyboard. Also a keyboard shortcut to execute the action for that "Reset Quick Search" button would be nice too? I'll add these to the tracker and perhaps patches for your consideration, changing my local copy anyways.

Last edited by kiwidude; 11-29-2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Search the Internet plugin updated

Not that many people can try it yet until Calibre 0.7.32 is released (or you run from source) but I have updated the zip for the "Search the Internet" plugin to support multiple row selections. Handy in particular if you have a bunch of books without ratings and want to look them up on Amazon to find some.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #20
Coleccionista
Connoisseur
Coleccionista began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
The "Search from Internet" plugin with a customizable site list sounds like a godsend, too bad I am finishing the metadata editing of my library the old way

Anyway I am amazed at the speed calibre keeps getting better and since Kovid implemented 2 enhancement request I filed a few days ago I am waiting impatiently for 0.7.32
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Awesome ideas! I love the first plug in, especially. Thanks for your hard work on this, and I can't wait til 7.32 to try them!
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
This plugin was designed to allow quick navigation from the selected book/author in Calibre to a choice of websites in your browser. By default websites such as FantasticFiction, Amazon, Google and Wikipedia are configured, however you can add/remove your own to this list via configuration. I mainly use this to look for better quality metadata than that available from the default Calibre sources, however it is also useful to get detailed reviews, identify missing books in a series, accurate publication dates etc.
I am using WinXP sp3 calibre 0.7.32

I have added this plugin but even after restarting calibre the menu doesn't reflect the Search the internet option. The plugin says Search the internet (1.1.0).
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I am using WinXP sp3 calibre 0.7.32

I have added this plugin but even after restarting calibre the menu doesn't reflect the Search the internet option. The plugin says Search the internet (1.1.0).
Did you add it to the menu in the preferences? You need to do that as well. It works for me with the same configuration, by the way.

I have a minor suggestion for the Calibre UI: After selecting the plugin file to add in the plugins dialog, the text field gets updated with the path. But after clicking "Add plugin", nothing happens, although the plugin is added successfully. I think there should be some form of feedback, I would suggest clearing the text field again.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Did you add it to the menu in the preferences? You need to do that as well. It works for me with the same configuration, by the way.
Thanks I didn't do that.

I followed the directions in the Search the internet post and expected to see the option to search in the right click menu. Having it in the top menu is going to take some getting use to.

I figured it out and put it in the context menu. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #25
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I have a minor suggestion for the Calibre UI: After selecting the plugin file to add in the plugins dialog, the text field gets updated with the path. But after clicking "Add plugin", nothing happens, although the plugin is added successfully. I think there should be some form of feedback, I would suggest clearing the text field again.
I would second that suggestion - if not clearing the text then at least give some sort of feedback, even a "Plugin installed" message box or something. Right now you tend to click the button a few times "just to make sure". Alternatively perhaps if the list above automatically expanded and scrolled to the new node that it adds to the list rather than as a user doing a bit of a hunt (if you aren't sure what plugin type it is).
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ticket please
Old 12-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #27
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
There you go.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #28
TMF
Enthusiast
TMF began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sigil

Thanks Kovid for this great new feature and Kiwidude for the very useful Internet search plugin! (Works fine for me on Win Vista on 0.7.32.)

I would love it if somebody with Python skills could code up a quick "open EPUB in Sigil" plugin. That would be faster than having to open the book directory and launching Sigil from there.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #29
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
Thanks Kovid for this great new feature and Kiwidude for the very useful Internet search plugin! (Works fine for me on Win Vista on 0.7.32.)

I would love it if somebody with Python skills could code up a quick "open EPUB in Sigil" plugin. That would be faster than having to open the book directory and launching Sigil from there.
and a thankyou from me too... the Internet Search Plugin works fine on my Ubuntu box. Plus I have added tweaks to add different searches of B&N and also to search "books by isbn".
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #30
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
here is what it looks like on my ubuntu box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	62296  
Closed Thread