Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 AM   #1
Nabodita
Connoisseur
Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Question Newbie Question: Which Kindle Do I Have?

I just bought a Kindle Fire HD from a local retailer - not directly from Amazon. I'm located in India.

The purpose of buying this Kindle was to jailbreak and install custom fonts. There are excellent wikis here on how to do that. unfortunately, I can't figure out which hack I need - there are different hacks for Kindle 2 / 3 / 4 and I don't know what that means or what I have.

My Serial No. is D059 A0A0 2422 0DRH

If someone could please point me in the right direction, I'd be immensely grateful!

Thanks
Nabodita
Nabodita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There are two Kindle Fire HD's. The newest one lacks a front webcam. If yours has a camera, it is the older one. Comparison table here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindle_Fire_HD

I would check xda-developers.com to find out about jailbreak/rooting, though if you want to install custom fonts for the Kindle reading app, I'm not sure that's something anyone has bothered to do. There are several Android reading apps that let you use custom fonts without any rooting, and if you are building your own ebooks, another option is to embed fonts.

Hacks for Kindle 2/3/4 have absolutely no application to Fire HD.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
Nabodita
Connoisseur
Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.Nabodita has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad
Right. I have the front camera, so its the older one.

Yes, I'm building books and I've already tried embedding fonts. Unfortunately, its a little more complicated than that. I'm creating books in Bangla, an Indic language, which Kindle doesn't support.

I have to find a workaround to install / embed and render it correctly, but that's fodder for another thread which I will be starting soon. I'm getting the feeling I should probably discuss this a bit on the forum before I actually root my Kindles.

Thanks for the prompt response, Tomsem.
Nabodita is offline   Reply With Quote