Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Pretty sure jail breaking is more frowned upon than using a fake name. Not that IGAF, but I did use my real name etc. And what would they do if I didn't? Refuse me some abysmal customer service? I could probably factory reset and reregister.

And of course you know that it is pretty simple to upgrade the firmware without connecting to Kobo at all. Of course you would then miss out on all the delightful adverts they send you, but that is what a junk mail folder is for.

Helen

You can turn off the option for promotions in Settings under Reading Life and Notifications. I've never had this turned on and have no idea what the promotions actually look like. On the other hand, if you are talking about reading recommendations, I usually dismiss this tile as soon as it appears. I'm sure there is some kind of hack that permanently eliminates it.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
You can turn off the option for promotions in Settings under Reading Life and Notifications. I've never had this turned on and have no idea what the promotions actually look like. On the other hand, if you are talking about reading recommendations, I usually dismiss this tile as soon as it appears. I'm sure there is some kind of hack that permanently eliminates it.
No I was talking about email from Kobo. Promotions, coupons etc. I don't actually connect to Kobo any more.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I use fake names for registration in a zillionty different places, including those who supposedly don't "allow" it, and am yet to be TOSed for it from any of them. (In addition, my government positively encourages this as a cyber safety behaviour.) It's really not an issue.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No I was talking about email from Kobo. Promotions, coupons etc. I don't actually connect to Kobo any more.
There is an option for turning off the email in the account settings on the web site.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:

Helen
And at the bottom of those emails you can unsubscribe to Kobo email.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher0815 View Post
@Quelch
I'd probably pick one too, but having to recharge it that frequently is something I just can't get myself to feel comfortable with. Having to recharge a tablet some time during a 10 to 12 hours reading run is a total immersion killer Granted, I don't do it that often, but it happens.
Well, I suppose if you read on your tablet for that long (I have to admit that seems very intensive to me), then maybe charging might be an issue with the Nexus 7. However, if you read 30 mins-2 hours everyday, recharging isn't an issue. I can easily go a couple of days before recharging my Nexus 7 again (and that's with reading, playing games and sometimes watching streaming video). I have to recharge my Galaxy SII everyday and sometimes twice a day depending on how much I use it. So, charging a device every couple of days isn't an issue.

Honestly, you probably will not be able to find a reading device that meets every bullet point on your list. You'll have to make a compromise and decide what is really important to you and what you can live without.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #22
Preacher0815
Preacher0815 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 301+
I have arrived at a point where I'm thinking since there's no solution I'm head over heels falling in love with, perhaps its best to hold out for a little while longer. Xmas is just around the corner. Maybe a couple of new devices will be sold by then or shortly after. It would also give me some time to refine my search parameters better.

Thanks everybody for your participation and insight. Although I'm not going out of this with "the reader" for me, you guys have provided a lot of food for thought. Your help is greatly appreciated.

@faithbw
Yeah, it does seem quite excessive. I was pretty shocked myself when it first happened. The weekend, a silent room, comfortable chair, a couple of good serial books, and the clock just went on. Only thing that kept calling for attention was my bladder.
Preacher0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Hi,
I've gone through an evolution of laptop, eink reader and then Android tablet for reading ebooks. What I've decided now is to have an eink reader for solely long-length reading activities (fiction/non-fiction books) and a tablet for internet text consumption (blogs, newspapers, magazines).
Like you, I'm looking for the best next ereader with just functionality for reading books. Due to age, I want an 8inch eink screen for epubs and key factors for reading epubs are:
- can load in own font (APHont, Droid Serif)
- 10+ font sizes
- variable line spacing and margins
It must meet the "easy to throw in bag for commutes / short trips" factor so I'm not going bigger than 8inches (My Samsung tablet has proven too large at 8.9inches)
Candidates to appear to date are Icarus and Bokeen, but I'm going to wait and watch the 8inch ereader space.
Paul
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote