Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Johneltin
Johneltin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Paragraph Spacing changes from 'word'

After pasting my work to Sigil I spend hours having to delete the extra space between EVERY paragraph.

The original paragraphs in 'word 2007' only had a single space. My naughty Sigil adds the extra space.

Any advice appreciated - and no HTML please! thanks.
Johneltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I am a bit lost here. What is the problem? In code view there will always be a space between paragraphs, but that is not an issue. That is purely cosmetic and will not show.
If you have it in the bookview, than you need to change your stylesheet. If you come from Word, I think it is likely you use the HTML export function of Word (filtered or not). That is not a good source... That code is awful and can cause a lot of issues.

Sigil does not add spaces out of thin air.

If you want to fix these kind of things in Sigil, you need to have at least the basic grasp of HTML and CSS. If you don't want to, look for something else than Sigil. You will not have the same level of flexibility though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You could try my Word add in. It will generate an ePUB with a standard stylesheet. It should give you a better base to start from.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're not pasting into Book View are you?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Johneltin

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
You're not pasting into Book View are you?
Yes - exactly - I am highlighting in 'Word' - copy - paste into Sigil. It all works fine except for the extra line space.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneltin View Post
Yes - exactly - I am highlighting in 'Word' - copy - paste into Sigil. It all works fine except for the extra line space.
Are you making spaces between paragraphs in Word using an extra paragraph instead of setting the paragraph spacing in the style?

If so, the extra paragraph will (of course) show up in the copied text in Sigil.

In Word (with the "Show/Hide formatting marks" set to "Show") the Word source should look like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1374007724

and definetely NOT like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1374007724

Regards

Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong-word.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	108303   Click image for larger version

Name:	right-word.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	108304  

Last edited by elibrarian; 07-16-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Corrected samples screendumps
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Switch over to code view and look at how paragraphs begin (and end.) Switch back to book view and do what you are doing to get rid of the extra space on one paragraph. Switch back to code view and see how your paragraph differs from all the others.

Then you can do a search and replace in code view to get rid of the extra element, probably a <p> &nbsp;</p>. Just replace the extra element with nothing, making sure to save a copy of your document beforehand in case your bright idea goes astray.

Copying into book view will nearly always introduce extra spaces and line breaks. The issue is whether is annoying enough to use a macro like Toxaris' to clean it up or whether it is easier to just search and replace.

If you are copying a pdf, doing this can be very useful, as it often will work when other methods won't, at the expense of some clean up.

Last edited by mrmikel; 07-16-2013 at 06:46 AM.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Johneltin

I copy from my 'word' doc that has only ONE space and paste the chapters into Sigil - a blank html file in 'book view' - and get TWO spaces between paragraphs.

Thanks again - I will try your suggestions tomorrow - bedtime in South Australia. J
Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
In Word (with the "Show/Hide formatting marks" set to "Show") the Word source should look like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1373975430

and definetely NOT like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1373975430
I think you have those samples the other way around.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I copy from my 'word' doc that has only ONE space and paste the chapters into Sigil - a blank html file in 'book view' - and get TWO spaces between paragraphs.
You should check in Code View that you aren't getting doubled-up </p><p> tags.
Also edit your stylesheet in Sigil so that a .p tag does what you want it to in terms of text-indent, margin-top etc.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I think you have those samples the other way around.
Oh c... - I think you're right - that they're wrong

I've corrected the blunder ...

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

Thanks again - I will try your suggestions tomorrow - bedtime in South Australia. J
When you say you get "two spaces," do you mean two paragraphs? An "empty paragraph" that leads to a blank line, or do you mean that in BookView, you see an empty blank line between paragraphs?

You can try pasting directly from Word to BookView in Sigil, but it doesn't work that fabulously. What you will get are opening and closing Office namespace tags that look like this: <o> </o> in every single paragraph. If you used styles to create any italics, bold, etc., you'll also get spans inside the paragraphs. To manage all this, you'll need to work with CSS to get the look and feel you really want.

For example, if you only mean that in BookView you see a blank line, where you think one should not be, it likely means that Sigil is using the default paragraph styling, which gives the impression of a blank line between paragraphs, but is not really there. If you have the paragraph styles named, you can easily find the styling in the stylesheet and fix (either the top or bottom) margin for the paragraph, so that you no longer have that illusion. Do you understand what I mean?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 AM   #13
Johneltin

Wasted a whole day and still can't solve the extra space between paragraphs problem. Thanks for the advise on the HTML codes but the bit I deleted only changed that ONE paragraph - I want to find the magic button that will do all my 30 files and HUNDREDS of paragraphs. There is not even a mention of the word 'paragraph' in the Sigil format options.

The problem is not in my word file - when I deleted the SINGLE space between two paragraphs and pasted into Sigil book view I got my one desired space automatically. However, I want to keep my single spaces in 'word' and I'm buggered if I can work it out. IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE!!

I do not have time to learn all about HTML so any other advice would be appreciated please.

I think some people are misunderstanding my question anyway so here it is again: I copy my file from word, it has just one space - one blank line between paragraphs (with or without formatting) and when I paste into Sigil book view, Sigil ADDS an extra space. Then I have to go through the whole document and spend HOURS deleting the extra lines. HELP! I'm goin' blind from it!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
That is why you use search and replace. Find the bad part, put in the find search area and in the replace part put nothing, then replace all, making sure it is set for all HTML files.

It should look something like this in code view:

....last few words of paragraph.</p>
<p>This is the start of a new paragraph. And it continues on.....

Anything else will add the extra line and should be deleted using search and replace.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Johneltin

Thank you Mr Meikel - problem sol -VED! Yippee!!!
Good bless you from an atheist!