Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
cosmic_joke
cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle voyage
Does ANY eReader allow me to search for tags

I want to be able to search for tags that I have made in calibre on the ereader. Like if I added the tag time-travel when i was doing the metadata on calibre that on the reader itself I can search for time-travel and all the books with that tag show up. Not sure any ereader even if jailbroken can do that and if it can please let me know which one.
cosmic_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Kobos form a collection for each tag. You can't search tags, but you can go to 'Collections' and each tag will show in alphabetical order, so you can page through your collections.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Sonys also do that. My Calibre tags show as collections on the reader and that at least groups them together.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Kobos form a collection for each tag. You can't search tags, but you can go to 'Collections' and each tag will show in alphabetical order, so you can page through your collections.
Sorry, the device doesn't do that. It is done by configuring the driver in calibre to maintain collections whenever connected. And it can use tags or just about any other column in the calibre library to create the collections.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Sorry, the device doesn't do that. It is done by configuring the driver in calibre to maintain collections whenever connected. And it can use tags or just about any other column in the calibre library to create the collections.
Ah, OK then. I've been using Calibre so long I'm sometimes not aware what Calibre is doing and what the various devices are doing.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2016, 01:24 AM   #6
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_joke View Post
Does ANY eReader allow me to search for tags

I want to be able to search for tags that I have made in calibre on the ereader. Like if I added the tag time-travel when i was doing the metadata on calibre that on the reader itself I can search for time-travel and all the books with that tag show up. Not sure any ereader even if jailbroken can do that and if it can please let me know which one.
Yes, SOME eReader allows you to search for tags. For example, for iPad and iPhone, you can install an app called MapleRead. It has the most sophisticated tag search and management support I've ever seen on an ereader. Not only can you search, say, for "time-travel", but also search for "time-travel" OR "space travel" just by checking the corresponding tags in a list. It's really cool. See this image on their website.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #7
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_joke View Post
Pocketbooks do.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Get an android e-ink reader and install calibre companion on it. That will allow you to see and search all your calibre metadata not just the tags.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
cosmic_joke
cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cosmic_joke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Get an android e-ink reader and install calibre companion on it. That will allow you to see and search all your calibre metadata not just the tags.
Didn't know those were a thing. I am looking into them now. Thank you
Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #10
cosmic_joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Looking into them. Thank you
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
You can use function "Create catalog" on Calibre from all the books you have tagged as "on device". The Catalog is an e-book in epub or mobi format that lists all the authors, series, titles hyperlinked to book descriptions, tags, covers ...

This is what I do.

As previous posters said, there are quite a few Android based e-ink readers and you can use Calibre companion.

You can also use the built in browser, that is nowadays on every e-ink reader that has WiFi and connect to your Calibre on your PC.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem I have with Pocketbook is that any of their eInk Readers larger than 6" is not using a Carta screen. Once you go Carta, Pearl just does not cut it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
um, so, I'd never heard of pocketbook before........

is the pocketbook cover-reader a real thing?!?!
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:31 AM   #14
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
um, so, I'd never heard of pocketbook before........

is the pocketbook cover-reader a real thing?!?!
Seems to be sold-out here in Europe.
There are some youtube videos demonstrating cover-reader, mostly in Russian. I am not sure how many of those they sold.
You see ... it was brought to the market some 3 years ago.

Have a look at this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44#post3412744
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem I have with Pocketbook is that any of their eInk Readers larger than 6" is not using a Carta screen. Once you go Carta, Pearl just does not cut it.
And the trouble we have with you, Jon, is that you always think everyone wants what you want. But don't worry, we like you nonethe less

Most people want a 6" screen and Pocketbook does have the Pocketbook Touch HD, which has a 300 ppi Carta screen.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, searching, tags