Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Is anyone else having problems with the "Time to Read" feature of the PW?

I find that it tends to say I have much less time than I actually do. It will often say I have 1 minute remaining while I still have to advance several pages (which takes me more than 1 minute.) Is anyone else experiencing this?
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
I find that it tends to say I have much less time than I actually do. It will often say I have 1 minute remaining while I still have to advance several pages (which takes me more than 1 minute.) Is anyone else experiencing this?
Yes. Not on the PW no more, though. While it is displaying "learning reading speed" it is important to not "read" too fast by playing around. Give it some time, eventually it will relearn and adopt to your reading speed. When I upgraded my KT to 5.3.2, it never showed "learning reading speed" and the Touch thought I could finish a chapter in a minute, a whole book in 5. Just ignore it until it fixes itself, or reset like here.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
The only thing that happened to me on the last book I finished was that it was stuck on 5h 44m for hours, which I thought was odd, as this had never happened before.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Yes, I've been having problems lately with unrealistic low estimates that I wish I could actually accomplish - such as reading a 30-page chapter in 7 minutes! My TBR list would be MUCH shorter if I could actually do that!

I realize the time remaining function is only an estimate, but hopefully Amazon will be able to resolve the error, as it is useful information at times.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Does anyone know if the estimates are established separately for each book, or does it average your speed across all the books that you read? I read much faster with some authors/genres than others, and I am hoping that this is accounted for. Otherwise, the whole feature is somewhat pointless.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting question. I bet it's a per-word average over all books, but I fear it may actually be a "page-turn rate" average that doesn't take font size into account. It's an irrational fear with no basis in reality.

Recently, I loaded up a "Complete Sherlock Holmes" file, and it could not come to a conclusion about how long it thinks it will take me to finish that. I'm wondering if the length of that book sort of threw a wrench in the system. It's been since adding it that I've noticed these problems.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jupstin, not sure what is wrong with yours. I just loaded the Complete Sherlock Holmes (the one that is free from Amazon) out of my cloud and it shows 40 1/2 hours right away. That is right around the same time to read it says for Lord of the Rings: One Volume with LotR showing 3 hours more. Have not checked if they are both about the same size (reading wise).
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
jupstin
Groupie

What was happening with Sherlock Holmes was that every time I'd turn the page, it would update the total estimated reading time. It would vary from around 40 hours to 55 or more.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It gets more accurate near the end of the book - which is all I really care about. I find that in the last half hour it's pretty much spot on. I use it all the time when I'm reading in bed, to decide whether to finish the book or not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
jupstin
Groupie

I was hoping it would give me accurate estimates of chapter length for a very similar reason - sometimes I'm not sure if I should just go to sleep or push through for a couple more minutes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
It averages your speed over time. If you always read at the same pace, it will get very accurate. If you skim some books and slow read others, it will never be accurate.

I slow read all my books and the time left in the chapter is very accurate.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Mine works pretty well. I do sometimes see a separate issue though, I assume based on the book itself. For example, I just started reading Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions. My PW is telling me I have 9 hours and 20 minutes left in the book and 9 hours left in the current chapter. For reference, the book is divided into actual chapters so I am not sure what data its looking at to calculate.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Mine works pretty well. I do sometimes see a separate issue though, I assume based on the book itself. For example, I just started reading Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions. My PW is telling me I have 9 hours and 20 minutes left in the book and 9 hours left in the current chapter. For reference, the book is divided into actual chapters so I am not sure what data its looking at to calculate.
That depends on _how_ your chapters are done. I have seen one of my side loaded books have the main part of the book as one chapter in the external TOC. So time left in book equals time left in chapter. It doesn't matter how the book looks while reading, but how the chapters look externally - e.g. on the GOTO page. Pretty sure you will see Beginning, End, Cover, and something inbetween.