Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Shut Down expends no battery energy.

I charged my Kindle Fire to 100%. Then I used Shut Down Mode for 10 hours.

When I awakened the Fire, the Bettery Meter still registered 100%. Thus, there was no noticeable energy expended on the boot up.

Some have claimed here that using Shut Down Mode expends energy. It does not and the test is readily duplicated by anyone.

Sleep Mode is simply more convenient since it takes less TIME to activate the Fire. Thus, it should be used when the user is awake. However, when the user is asleep, Shut Down Mode saves the most battery energy.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

When I awakened the Fire, the Bettery Meter still registered 100%. Thus, there was no noticeable energy expended on the boot up.

Some have claimed here that using Shut Down Mode expends energy. It does not and the test is readily duplicated by anyone.

Sleep Mode is simply more convenient since it takes less TIME to activate the Fire. Thus, it should be used when the user is awake. However, when the user is asleep, Shut Down Mode saves the most battery energy.
When done properly in sleep mode it doesn't take any battery either.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I didn't think any electronic device would use energy when off.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't think my sleep mode uses the battery. It doesn't seem to go down when it's in sleep mode at least.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

You are not taking into account the juice sucked in the power down and power up sequences. The screen is full on during those, and it is certainly the biggest juice sucker in the device.

Say your screen uses 500mA, and your fire in sleep only uses 4mA. This means that the time it takes to shut down and power up (say, 90 seconds), would be equivalent to 11250 seconds of sleep time (or about 3 hours). For 2mA in sleep, you get 6 hours.

So, there's a cut-off of a certain amount of hours - if you plan to keep the device off for that long, then a power off is beneficial, otherwise it is better to put it in sleep mode.

Of course, I'm pulling these figures out of my ***, but they're in the ball park.

Last edited by afv011; 12-20-2011 at 04:05 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You are not taking into account the juice sucked in the power down and power up sequences. The screen is full on during those, and it is certainly the biggest juice sucker in the device.

Say your screen uses 500mA, and your fire in sleep only uses 4mA. This means that the time it takes to shut down and power up (say, 90 seconds), would be equivalent to 11250 seconds of sleep time (or about 3 hours). For 2mA in sleep, you get 6 hours.

So, there's a cut-off of a certain amount of hours - if you plan to keep the device off for that long, then a power off is beneficial, otherwise it is better to put it in sleep mode.

Of course, I'm pulling these figures out of my ***, but they're in the ball park.
ZERO juice is sucked. I started my test at 100% and after re-activating it 10 hours later the battery was still at 100%. If 0.001% was sucked, so what?

That's why I ran the test. Others claimed LARGE amounts of juice were sucked in the Shut Down and boot up.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
ZERO juice is sucked. I started my test at 100% and after re-activating it 10 hours later the battery was still at 100%. If 0.001% was sucked, so what?

That's why I ran the test. Others claimed LARGE amounts of juice were sucked in the Shut Down and boot up.
The battery meter may read 100%, but it does not mean 0 juice was sucked. I can guarantee you that the device uses hundreds of times more current on use than on sleep.

Saying that "ZERO juice is sucked" by power cycling the device is simply a fallacy. It may be a small amount (which anyway would account for hours of sleep), but certainly not ZERO.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
meso123
meso123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
When done properly in sleep mode ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
When done properly in sleep mode it doesn't take any battery either.
Blossom -
Can you explain what "when done properly" means?
Thanks,
meso123
P.S. Thanks for your very helpful posts. I have learned a lot.
meso123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

I tried an experiment and took a battery reading at 7:08 PM tonight at 75%. I left the Fire in Sleep Mode until 9:49 PM. Then I activated it and the reading was 73%.

Thus, with only Badass Battery Monitor and WiFi running the Fire expended 2% in almost 3 hours in Sleep Mode.

As I stated earlier in Shut Down Mode not even 1% was drained in 10 hours.

Anyone here can easily run these tests on their own to verify the results.

When the Fire is activated for the day, when one is awake, it should be left in Sleep Mode with WiFi on to receive and send syncs of eBooks and upgrades to Apps. If WiFi was left off, none of those Syncs would be possible.

However, at night, when one is asleep, it should simply be Shut Down to conserve battery power when one is not using it in any event.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by meso123 View Post
Blossom -
Can you explain what "when done properly" means?
Thanks,
meso123
P.S. Thanks for your very helpful posts. I have learned a lot.
With WiFi off and no apps running in background now you might have QuickOffice and Pulse running that's okay. If you have Calengoo that will be running as well in the background. You shouldn't see any changes while in sleep mode if so very little.
I get 3 days on one charge on mine using this method.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote