Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
PRS-T1 Requires OS 10.7 on Mac ?!

I keep thinking this must be a typo or my eyes aren't working properly, but under the Tech Specs for the PRS-T1 on Sony's site, does it really say System Requirements: Mac OS X 10.7?

What does this even mean? Why would the T1 need 10.7? If you use USB to plug the T1 into a Mac running less than 10.7, will the Mac not recognize it?

Even weirder, the new Reader for Mac software appears to work with 10.5.8+ 10.6.6+ and 10.7+ So why wouldn't the T1 be the same?

Here's the Sony Store link for T1 Tech Specs: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

And here's the link to with System Requirements for the new Reader for Mac software:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
I suspect that this is Sony being ultra-conservative with their testing on the Mac side of things. They don't want to spend the money testing the T1 with pre-10.7, and so they don't support it, even if it works. But it means if bugs appear, they won't fix them either.

While I could be wrong, I don't see why the T1 would show up as anything other than a mass-storage device on either Mac or Windows. If that's the case, you'd be able to use Calibre or anything else to manage it. And you can authorize the device for DRM content without attaching it to the computer first (a la the 900/950).

If you want to be extra cautious, then you can wait for someone else to be the guinea pig. I'm a Mac user myself, with a pre-order, so I can report back when I receive mine what the exact deal is.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
The Mac App v 3.3 doesn't seem to play well with Lion's new features. I can't even resize the window, let alone go full-screen with it. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if T1 really requires Lion.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not really written against the Mac APIs, but rather "QT" which is a cross-platform framework. I'd highly doubt it ever supports Mac-specific features now or in the future.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I noticed that since I'm still using Leopard and not planning to upgrade to Lion in the near future. I agree with Kolenka's posts.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
The Mac App v 3.3 doesn't seem to play well with Lion's new features. I can't even resize the window, let alone go full-screen with it. It will be interesting to see how that plays out if T1 really requires Lion.
I also checked:

The latest reader software does resize on Lion. But it's like all Lion windows where you resize from the edges. Full screen can be brought up in reading mode, but it doesn't support Lion-style full screen mode.

I haven't used the 3.3 software, well, ever, so I can't really compare. I'm not terribly surprised that resize was completely borked though, as these cross-platform frameworks do weird things sometimes.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Jane, if it works on Lion, I'd imagine will also work on Snow Leopard and Leopard as well.

Hopefully this is an oversight on Sony's part in the documentation, this is a deal breaker for me if this is the case.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Jane, if it works on Lion, I'd imagine will also work on Snow Leopard and Leopard as well.

Hopefully this is an oversight on Sony's part in the documentation, this is a deal breaker for me if this is the case.
I agree on all counts. As I wrote, I keep thinking this must be a typo or my eyes aren't working properly, because I can't imagine why a T1 wouldn't work with Snow Leopard and Leopard -- especially since the new desktop software (Reader for Mac) apparently works with Snow Leopard and Leopard.

Thanks in advance to Kolenka and anyone else who's planning on getting a T1 and is willing to report back on this issue.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I also checked:

The latest reader software does resize on Lion. But it's like all Lion windows where you resize from the edges. Full screen can be brought up in reading mode, but it doesn't support Lion-style full screen mode.

I haven't used the 3.3 software, well, ever, so I can't really compare. I'm not terribly surprised that resize was completely borked though, as these cross-platform frameworks do weird things sometimes.
I have sparkly new hardware, so both Lion and Reader Library 3.3 are fresh installations without any prior version upgrade baggage. When I drag Reader Library's corner, the double-headed resize arrow moves, but the application window remains unchanged. The green + doesn't do anything to the window size, either. It's OK if I'm just organizing my library or returning borrowed books, but browsing the store requires such an annoying amount of vertical and horizontal scrolling that it's easier to just use my phone to look for new books.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
volivas
volivas began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Muse Frontlight
It looks like the Sony PRS-T1 will not be compatible with the PowerPC Macs, only Intel. Or am I wrong? will calibre 0.7 support that, is it just like any other PRS? I have no idea how that sort of thing works...
volivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Won't know for sure until we have the hardware in our hands. I could speculate and blow hot air, but that doesn't actually do anyone any good in this area.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Jane12
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Won't know for sure until we have the hardware in our hands. I could speculate and blow hot air, but that doesn't actually do anyone any good in this area.
Now that the T1s are out, has anyone tried it on a Mac running OS 10.6? Any problems?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

It is still a USB Mass Storage device.

Worst case you need to register it for DRM over Wifi and use Calibre (or manually manage books on it). I haven't had a chance to test it far enough along to see if the software/driver from Sony like it or not.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have OS X 10.5.8. My Mac recognizes my T1 just fine in Finder and in Reader for Mac.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #15
Jane12
Groupie

Thanks! The T1 is getting harder and harder to resist :-)