Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: February 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 7 7.87%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë 8 8.99%
Sons and Lovers by D.H. Lawrence 6 6.74%
Lady Chatterly's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 4 4.49%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 4 4.49%
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro 9 10.11%
A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold 8 8.99%
A Room With A View by E. M. Forster 21 23.60%
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen 15 16.85%
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway 7 7.87%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
IMO some of the nominated titles don't qualify as romance, but no one asked me.
I was actually thinking of nominating Gone with the Wind but was put off by the length of the book. So I thought D H Lawrence might be OK.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I was actually thinking of nominating Gone with the Wind but was put off by the length of the book. So I thought D H Lawrence might be OK.

Regards
Caleb
I think the DHL titles qualify because they're primarily about romantic relationships. The Hemingway, not so much.

I absolutely loathe Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, but I won't try to sway anyone's votes.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #18
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I've read two of Dianna Gabaldon's Outlander series. I'm not a big reader but love time travel.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #19
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Considering how poorly the book I voted for is doing in the poll, I should have nominated I, the Jury!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #20
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I went with one of my all time favorites that I can read over and over - Pride and Prejudice. Austen's humor is just infectious.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #21
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:

Regards
Caleb
"Gone with the Wind" was already nominated and was the winner in February 2010.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
"Gone with the Wind" was already nominated and was the winner in February 2010.
Wow - people got through that?

I do have it in Calibre in case I feel like giving it a go one day.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:

Regards
Caleb
I read it in high school. It was actually kind of shocking how much more depth of character you found in Scarlett and Rhett than in the beloved movie version. Both great in thier own way I suppose.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:

Regards
Caleb
Do it! I read it last month and consider it one of the best books I've ever read.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
One of the worst books you've ever read, I'll take your word for it. One of the worst books ever written? There are a whole lot of bad books out there.
It is one of the worst books ever written that has the audacity to be called a classic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Finally voted. Yay for me.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm wondering how anyone can vote for the author of one of the worst books ever written. E. M. Forster wrote A Passage to India. It was and is one of the worst books I've ever read. So reading another book by Forster would be akin to having cut one ear off and then going to cut the other off.
Oddly enough, I quite enjoyed it. The film adaptation happens to be among my top 10 favorite films, mainly for the acting and the atmosphere, which it captured almost perfectly.

Since here is another chance to read/share Forester with others, I voted for Room With a View.
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I started A Room With a View, so I hope it wins.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It seems to me that there's a much larger spread in the votes this month.

Alas, my nomination is running 4th at the moment.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm wondering how anyone can vote for the author of one of the worst books ever written. E. M. Forster wrote A Passage to India. It was and is one of the worst books I've ever read. So reading another book by Forster would be akin to having cut one ear off and then going to cut the other off.
Chevrolet created both the Vega and the Corvette. Non-Americans won't get that.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote