Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My library went back to only epubs

This is the State of Illinois ebook site. It URL says axis360. And they were pushing that format (which you cannot transfer to an ereader). But most books came in both formats, and the ones that didn't, I decided I could live without. But just recently, they got rid of the choice of formats. If you check out a book, your only option is download to ereader, and it downloads to Adobe. I have read many stories about the axis360 format being pushed on more and more library patrons. Anyone else notice it going in the other direction? Or is this just a distraction before they go all axis360 (yes, I really am that paranoid. I am a Cub fan, after all).

Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
This is the State of Illinois ebook site. It URL says axis360. And they were pushing that format (which you cannot transfer to an ereader). But most books came in both formats, and the ones that didn't, I decided I could live without. But just recently, they got rid of the choice of formats. If you check out a book, your only option is download to ereader, and it downloads to Adobe. I have read many stories about the axis360 format being pushed on more and more library patrons. Anyone else notice it going in the other direction? Or is this just a distraction before they go all axis360 (yes, I really am that paranoid. I am a Cub fan, after all).

Debra
I'm lucky; all of my libraries use OverDrive and none of them use axis360.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
The Cubs need to figure out their relief pitching.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #4
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
I thought suffering was what it was all about for a Cubs fan. The bats have saved them again in the late innings. Maybe the September weather will be kinder to relief pitchers.

Now to be on topic, my local library uses Overdrive. No sign of axis360 yet.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post

Debra
Speak for yourself, Debra. Epub format ebooks transfer quite happily to virtually any ereader not made by Amazon. Given a bit of help from Calibre, you can transfer them to your Kindle. Looking at the news, quite a few library systems have moved from Overdrive which supports Kindle in the U.S.A to competitors which do not support Kindle. At this time, it appears the vast majority of library ebooks are being read on iOS and Android devices where most of the reading apps are quite happy with epub.

Before we get all paranoid, my local library system does not support Kindle format ebooks for one reason only and that was/is the cost to add Kindle support to their Overdrive setup. Their current estimate is that ~7% of their ebooks are being checked out to be read on eInk ereaders while >80% are being read on iOS or Android devices so the chances of adding Kindle support in the future is pretty close to zero.

As for being a Cubs fan, we all have our burdens to bear.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
Joe Bailey
Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.Joe Bailey has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle
Our libraries are thankfully still Overdrive here.

Although I have found if I click the wrong link I actually buy the book through Amazon rather than get it for free through the library... A government plot to get Amazon Affiliate dollars?
Joe Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My main library switched from Overdrive to 3M almost 2 years ago now, and I had a big rant about it at the time. Luckily I could still join the old Overdrive consortium for my region for free. That library has Axis360 in addition to Overdrive. It had both EPUB and Axis360 format. Then when Axis360 updated their app it went to Axis360 format only.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote