Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #91
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question Custom Views Plugin

I have an idea for a plugin if it is possible. I currently like to have different field columns visible when completing different tasks, such as editing metadata for new books, editing series info, and selecting books for reading. I have installed the manage series plugin (although I have not sat still long enough to figure out how to use it) but I was wondering if it is doable to have a plugin that would save the visible columns to a list that the user could select in order to hide/show columns. For instance, if I only wanted the Author, Title, Series columns visible for editing and the Author, Title, Pages (custom column) tags columns visible when selecting books to go in my reading list or Author, Title and Tags visible when working with my kindle collections. I tend to show/hide columns and move them around when doing different tasks and it would be really nice if I could just select a saved view to pull up when working on the different tasks. If this is doable, it would be nice if the list could be at least 4 or 5 different views.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #92
Loeffel
Connoisseur
Loeffel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Hi,

I have books for a wide area of sources. Unfortunately the filename isn't setup the same way on every file. The metadata is mostly a pain, author and title exchanged, sometime both in one field, no series and so on. So I decided, to take these information from the name of the file.
Ok, until this point no problem, I've defined different regex strings for importing. Now it would be usefull to have an

Import plugin
  • choose the files to import
  • import single, multiple files or the content of a whole folder
  • select import regex (best with descriptive names)
  • select if name and surname should be exchanged

It would be fine if it could be build into Calibre as option to switch on and off, but I think a plugin would be better as this wouldn't be interesting for many people.
I would write it by myself, but I have never programmed in Phyton and it would need some time to learn so I could program such a plugin.
Loeffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #93
ptom
ptom began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hi,

I'm trying to build sth. like a advanced catalog of my ebook collection. So if someone else (like girlfriend whatsoever) is curios what I have interesting to read the one could just scroll through this list. Like in old days checking the shelf in a friends room.

So instead of just a boring excel-list with titles, it would be splendid to have something like a .jpg, with the cover on the left half and the book description as plain text on the right side of this picture. And this for every book which is marked. So one could take those .jpgs, put them on a ~cheap electronic frame or build a website, where others can flip through your collection.
I know, I could just use the calibre screen, but then you need a laptop running and so on.

I don't know, if s.o. else could use sth. like that, or if it's already possible to create sth. like this. All the information is already in calibre, but it's a bit tedious to create it by hand. I just couldn't figure out. So maybe it's worth a shot here^^.
ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #94
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Loeffel - all of that you can do in Calibre currently. You can choose single files or an entire folder using the Add button dropdown. You can easily switch between named regexes using the Quick Preferences plugin, as well as toggle the "Swap author firstname and lastname" feature. What there isn't however currently is a way to select specific files out of a folder (however you can instead just drag/drop your selected files from the folder rather than using the Add function).

Does that not cover everything you need?
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #95
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ptom - have you looked into the various types of catalogs that calibre can create (in the Convert books menu). Try the Calibre Catalogs subforum for further information. I don't use it myself, but it is possible to produce more "interesting" things than just csv files with it. So for instance you can produce an xml file and use that as the basis for a web-driven approach with links to the covers etc. I would suggest you explore some options down that route first, if the "catalog gurus" can't come up with something that suits I would be surprised.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #96
Loeffel
Connoisseur

I don't know the quick reference plugin and as I wrote (and perhaps not stated clearly enough) I have different regex and can switch between them, but everytime select
preferences => import => choose what I want => close => close = import and start again from the beginning is just a pain in the a... You need more time switching name settings and regex than importing the files.
The other thing is, the regex can't be named, something that is indeed disturbing as they look similar and if you're not looking exactly, you choose the wrong one.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #97
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Loeffel - the Quick Preferences plugin solves exactly those issues - they were precisely why I wrote it. Put it on your toolbar so you have one click access to the menu to switch options, or even assign keyboard shortcuts to them.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #98
Loeffel
Connoisseur

Where is my post???
I've tested the Quick Preferences plugin, is it possible to push up the number of menu entries up to 10 instead of four?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #99
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Loeffel - I moved your post into the Quick Preferences thread where it belongs (with my answer). I don't want this thread to get filled up with feature requests for existing plugins.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #100
Loeffel
Connoisseur

Ok, sorry!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #101
garcle
Connoisseur
garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garcle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
Content Server Status Plugin

Hi, this is an idea to have a plugin for indicating maybe with a red/green icon, when the content server is running and when it isn't. And also ideally .. a counter which shows the number of current users in session with the server.

I thought it best done as a plugin as not everyone uses the content server.
garcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #102
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@garcle - without trying it myself the first part of your idea sounds relatively trivial (the icon to indicate whether content server is running). Would probably be even easier if a few additions to the code were made to allow hooking into an event signal when the content server is started/stopped rather than having to poll it on a timer.

However I don't know if there is any way to even know how many users are connected? One for the devforums, my guess would be not possible but that is pure speculation.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #103
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I have an idea for a plugin if it is possible. I currently like to have different field columns visible when completing different tasks, such as editing metadata for new books, editing series info, and selecting books for reading. I have installed the manage series plugin (although I have not sat still long enough to figure out how to use it) but I was wondering if it is doable to have a plugin that would save the visible columns to a list that the user could select in order to hide/show columns. For instance, if I only wanted the Author, Title, Series columns visible for editing and the Author, Title, Pages (custom column) tags columns visible when selecting books to go in my reading list or Author, Title and Tags visible when working with my kindle collections. I tend to show/hide columns and move them around when doing different tasks and it would be really nice if I could just select a saved view to pull up when working on the different tasks. If this is doable, it would be nice if the list could be at least 4 or 5 different views.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

Nyn
Sorry Nyn, I didn't reply to this earlier. I agree it would be a nice idea. However I would take it one step further to make it even more useful - the ability to specify a sort order associated with each view.

We have the ability to set a complex sort order on Calibre startup. However if you change your sorting while using Calibre (as I often do such as when I have drilled into an order and want to see by publication date or whatever), there is currently no easy way in Calibre to "restore" your previous sort order. Instead you must do your various clicks on the column headings in the right order to set it back to your desired default. A keyboard shortcut or menu driven option via a plugin such as this would be a faster and more reliable alternative.

I'll take a look into it...
Old 04-10-2011, 04:25 AM   #104
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Compare two different books using a diff tool?

Here's an idea for a plugin:

When comparing editions of ebooks, I frequently want to do a diff between the two books to see what the differences in the actual text are. Sometimes you'll come across one edition with nice formatting, but another edition with better proofreading. Other times I'm trying to look to see if there are differences between ebooks claiming to be from significantly different print editions.

An example is the Arthur Conan Doyle books discussed in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52#post1447252

The problem here is you can't just use a diff tool on the raw html, you'll never get anywhere that way.

The solution that seems to work the best is to convert both books to text (enable 'smarten punctuation' to normalize punctuation differences). Then you can load the two editions of the book in a visual diff tool and get a very decent idea of the differences between the two editions.

There's a lot of manual steps to be done here, and it seems like an excellent workflow for a plugin. Basically highlight the two books you want to compare, and the plugin runs those two files through the conversion pipeline, outputs to temp files, and calls up the diff tool of your choice.

The most complex bit is figuring out how to pass multiple arguments to the diff tools, I imagine this varies from platform to platform and I'm not sure if this is something that can easily be done/configured by the user. Most of them seem to support this by using terminal/shell commands - can a plugin launch an external app this way?

Last edited by ldolse; 04-10-2011 at 04:29 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #105
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@nynaevalan - I've gone ahead and created the View Manager plugin which hopefully should do what you need. Please give any feedback on that thread.

@garcle - Kovid has accepted a patch of mine for Calibre which will display a different icon for the Connect/Share menu option on the toolbar when you are running content server (the three balls go green instead of their blue default). There is no way to get the count of connected users. So hopefully that should suit your purpose without requiring a plugin. It will be available in the next Calibre release (0.7.55).

@idolse - the diff viewer plugin idea sounds interesting but I shall leave it to you or someone else to implement it should they want to. I usually just do a quick visual scan in the ebook viewer to compare versions of a book, I haven't had the need to go quite as far as using a diff viewer but I can understand what you are looking for. In answer to your question, absolutely a plugin can launch an external app with command line arguments, tthat is exactly what the "Open With" plugin does...

Tags
chatbot, epub fix, epub-fix, google books, metadata calibre title, pdf, pdf and calibre, plugin development