Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #16
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wouldn't use any of yours. I would use mine:

1) Her vulnerability, including an inability to tolerate ridicule, had led her to kill another human being.

Another point: You use too many pronouns in one sentence.

By Greg Bell and Don Broyles
Yeah, there are a lot of pronouns in mine. Yours changes the meaning just enough though. Hmm. I don't know. It's all about meaning ultimately.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
No, you're right. They're two different things.
In that case I would put an and not a comma.
Makes more sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
#1.

Write it without the clause and there's no problem:

Her vulnerability had led her to kill another human being.

To add the clause, you need to have both commas.

Her vulnerability, her inability to tolerate ridicule, had led her to kill another human being.

Although I would prefer a small change to

Her vulnerability, an inability to tolerate ridicule, had led her to kill another human being.
Now yours has "an inability to tolerate ridicule" as an appositive phrase.

Interesting in that each tiny change makes a nuance change in meaning.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:51 AM   #19
AnnGirdharry
Enthusiast
AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnnGirdharry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
hello Gregg,

Actually I have a preference for
3) = another way

Her vulnerability, her inability to tolerate ridicule, led her to kill.

because -
The final 'had' hammers the sentence too hard and takes out the immediacy (the reader intuits this is in the past)
human being ?- well, if it's a suspense then the reader will intuit also that she killed a person (and not a dog, cat etc.)

best,
Ann Girdharry
AnnGirdharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:04 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGirdharry View Post
hello Gregg,

3) = another way

because -
The final 'had' hammers the sentence too hard and takes out the immediacy (the reader intuits this is in the past)
human being ?- well, if it's a suspense then the reader will intuit also that she killed a person (and not a dog, cat etc.)
It changes the tense from the pluperfect to the perfect, certainly. Whether or not that is a desirable thing is for the author to decide; as you say, they have different meanings.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Now yours has "an inability to tolerate ridicule" as an appositive phrase.

Interesting in that each tiny change makes a nuance change in meaning.
Ah - I hadn't realise that "her inability to tolerate ridicule" was a different attribute to "her vulnerability". In that case I'd have to suggest that the right wording is

Her vulnerability and her inability to tolerate ridicule had led her to kill another human being.

I don't think the first comma is right at all, if that's the meaning you meant.

It's interesting to have an example where the punctuation really does change the meaning.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I also thought they were the same attribute. Since they're not, I'd lose "vulnerability" altogether as weak and amorphous.

"Her inability to tolerate ridicule had led her to kill." (I agree about the human being v. alien.)
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #23
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnGirdharry View Post
hello Gregg,

3) = another way

because -

best,
Ann Girdharry
Hi Ann. I agree that that ",had" is a big hit on the sentence. "led" is much better.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #24
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

You know what, I have gotten completely turned around with this sentence. I do think that "her vulnerability" and "her inability to tolerate ridicule" are the same thing. When it was suggested they weren't I thought, 'Well, they're not exactly the same thing.'

But let's put it this way: I intended them to be the same thing. That was my meaning.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:03 PM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Her vulnerability and inability to tolerate ridicule had led her to kill another human being.

Kiss (Keep it simple, stupid). The meaning was perfectly clear in the original, but was longer winded than it needed or wanted to be.

IMO the edited down sentence is fine. "There is no greater urge than to edit another person's work."

Last edited by Rizla; 10-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #26
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
"There is no greater urge than to edit another person's work."
Dang! I can't think of a good way to edit that.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post

Kiss (Keep it simple, stupid).
Good advice!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
You know what, I have gotten completely turned around with this sentence. I do think that "her vulnerability" and "her inability to tolerate ridicule" are the same thing. When it was suggested they weren't I thought, 'Well, they're not exactly the same thing.'

But let's put it this way: I intended them to be the same thing. That was my meaning.
In that case, I think you need both commas.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:27 PM   #29
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
In that case, I think you need both commas.
Agreed.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #30
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bit late to the party, but happened to read this thread.

The best way to punctuate the sentence is clearly: 'Her vulnerability, her inability to tolerate ridicule, had led her to kill another human being.'

Has she killed other human beings? Or is this her first and perhaps only? The sentence is ambiguous in that regard, despite the effort to punctuate it correctly.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote