Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Collaborative iPhone/iPod Touch eReading Guide

Original title : "Don't turn around.... the Kommisar is...."

Okay, in order to better organize the vast amounts of information that exist relating iphones/ipod touches into reading devices, it seems a bit of an activity is in order.

This is what I'd like to see. Each of us goes out and brings back concise, useful information about the various ways that the iphone/ipod touch can be used as an ereader of books or news We need options for each sort of format, ways to get them on the device, what does the best job, etc.

Hopefully this makes sense.... if not, perhaps just focus on working these questions out. If I can get some help collecting the sources, I can promptly put together a universal document regarding the issue for everyone.

I just got my girlfriend: (Exhbit A) a ipod touch for her anniversary and graduation present. She's not a huge reader, but I want to set it up so if she wants to be she can! But I think she's a good example - lots of people are evidently reading on the iPhone, et al. (though not as many who have downloaded the app, I bet!) but are not necessarily tech savy.

Whatcha think?

Exhibit A:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n177700034_9602.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	29317  

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 05-20-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Nice looking lady!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Hmm.. changing the subject heading didn't fix it. That's too bad. I was crazy on ambien when I made the post.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Oh, and thanks! I have no idea why I included a picture
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Hmm.. changing the subject heading didn't fix it. That's too bad. I was crazy on ambien when I made the post.
i kind of like the title as it is (so intriguing i read the thread to find out what / who the kommisar is...) but if you *really* *really* want to change the title, i can do that.

(if i do change the title i'm going to add the original title to the first post as some sort of surreal non-sequitur though. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

It is funny, no doubt... I'm just not sure it'll fulfill the need of the post - getting people to cooperatively get some resources compiled.

So maybe change it, but feel free to keep my madness on display!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
how's that ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Most excellent, thank you!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
This is what I'd like to see. Each of us goes out and brings back concise, useful information about the various ways that the iphone/ipod touch can be used as an ereader of books or news We need options for each sort of format, ways to get them on the device, what does the best job, etc.
Hope I got this post right.

I have been playing around with an old itouch for a for weeks now.
The best and most flexible reader I have found so far: textReader.

http://code.google.com/p/iphonetextreader/

Its free and supports loads of formats.
But needs a hacked iphone/itouch. Since mine is 1G and old, didnt have any issues with that.

-Just install it via cydia.
-Then use the iphonebrowser to copy the docs into the itouch.
http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/
Preferably someplace under the /private/var/mobile/.
-textReader allows you to browse the file system and select files.
-Just read off. I found it quite good to use.

I havent figured out how to use stanza yet as I dont have convenient wifi access to pair it with the desktop stanza or calibre.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Assume that since you have a Kindle, you will want to get the Amazon app for her iTouch if you haven't already and register her iTouch on your Kindle account. The recent software upgrade did make reading easier on the Touch. And fortunately, using it is really straight forward and easy.

The other ebook app that I like is Stanza now that it mates with Calibre. This, of course assumes that your ebooks are not DRM'd. Only Epub formated books are readable on the iTouch, but Calibre will do the conversions. There are really good instructions posted here at MR about 3 months ago. If you need any more detailed instructions on either software, give a shout.

One other app that I use alot is the USA today app, free from the Apple store. Since I travel frequently, this allows me to keep in touch with headlines in the U.S.

Hope she loves her iTouch as much as I do mine. For a small package, it has an enormous amount of functionality.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You should create a wiki page with your results.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote