Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Savory potentially damaged my screen?

hey everyone. newbie kindle 2 owner/modder. so i thought i would be brave enough to try savory too. while it was converting a PDF, it seems to just stall so i thought i would just delete the file. i moved the toggle to the left and selected delete. immediately after, the screen faded. i could barely see any text or anything. it looked as if the screen was off but you some black marks making it through. it also looks like the kindle is dying and the ink is just not generating or it doesnt have enough power to get the ink fully through. i refreshed the screen and the text shows up now, but faded still. i mean i can definitely read, but its not the way it was, not even close. i dunno how that could have caused this. i have tried a lot of different things. i tried removing savory, disabling the ss hack, reinstalling the software. nothing. this cant be the end of the kindle for me can it? i should be upset, crying, throwing a fit, but that wont get me anywhere. if someone can help, please let me know. i might try downgrading but i dont know if that is even a possibility. im on the latest version. 2.0.3. thanks!

Ayman
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Software cannot damage the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
ayman07
Ayman

these are some images I took with my iPhone, sorry about the crappy quality. Some show the pic before and after I do a refresh. I tried reinstalling the savory hack and inducing the same problem thinking I could reverse it but it didn't work. maybe i chose the incorrect word to describe the problem, the screen is not physically damaged, but its not working properly as you can see the pic. so what can i do now?

Last edited by ayman07; 06-12-2009 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you've removed all the software hacks, contact Amazon and have them replace the unit. You seem to have a defective unit. There are some Kindle 2 that have a fading screen issue in direct sunlight. Your may have an exaggerated version of the same issue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If you have any screen/Menu functionality, you might try doing a Factory Reset.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
ayman07
Ayman

i appreciate all your replies.

@poohbear_nc, if you mean just going into settings and selecting "Factory Default..." i have already tried that. can this all just be a coincidence? that but i specifically remember this happening IMMEDIATELY after left toggling on the converting file and selecting remove, thats when it all happened.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
jesse
Connoisseur
jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jesse can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I really, really don't think that deleting the logfile during conversion can do this. I've done that dozens of times.
jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
ayman07
Ayman

perhaps its was just a coincidence, but i dunno. its weird how it happened. but i dont wanna risk having it broken again so i proly wont do it with the new kindle; they are shipping me a replacement. thank god for warranty. but i like the whole idea of it. i mean, cant the firmware for the Dx be modified so we can get the amazon built-in converter on our K2?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Why do you need the converter on the Kindle? The ones that run on a pc are easy to use.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
ayman07
Ayman

susan, i hear what your saying. i didnt even hear of calibre until i found this forum a few days ago. it seems easy enough to use but still a little time consuming. it would be nice if your the type who is on-the-go to just download pdfs from the net on my k2 and just convert them in minutes instead of needed to be next to my mac. its just more convenient and i hope one day jesse will come out with a more stable version of savory. this problem, as mentioned, could just be a coincidence but who knows.

jesse, are u sure u know exactly what i am talking about with this problem? u mentioned a logfile, but i am not sure if that is the same thing i am talking about. is the logfile displayed on the home screen while it is converting a book? i know ur the programmer but the logfiles i know are the ones that are usually stored somewhere and recored to a specific file but are not opened unless instructed to open. but i am talking about directly from the home screen, where u see all the books. while in the middle of a conversion, about 1-2 minutes in, highlight the book, toggle to the left, confirm to delete. then i got the screen issue. it should happen immediately after u confirm deletion.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
ayman07
Ayman

i got my new kindle yesterday and the i downloaded a pdf and while it was converting and i deleted it and nothing happened. it wasnt from savory afterall. thanks jesse!