Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #10591
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition from Neil Gaiman.

I'm reading in iBooks, I'm in the half of it, so far, amazing.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #10592
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridr View Post
Just finished Nick Spaldings "The Cornerstone".
What did you think?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #10593
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Finished reading Leviathan Wakes (review here). A very enjoyable space opera with a nice mix of noir and horror thrown in.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #10594
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Still reading Ulysses by James Joyce as well as Life and Death are Wearing Me Out by Mo Tan. It seems like I've been reading these two books forever.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #10595
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Still reading Ulysses by James Joyce as well as Life and Death are Wearing Me Out by Mo Tan. It seems like I've been reading these two books forever.
Well, if you combine the two books, you'll get the real book...

Ulysses is Wearing Me Out
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #10596
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Jon, what you and Ulysses may do privately is none of our business.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #10597
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I'm reading Spiderwork tonight.

Her fate was to hold the world together. His destiny was to tear it apart.

Durga was named for a warrior with twelve arms - and she could use them all. After the events of Space Junque, she's chosen by the goddess to rule Red City, home base of the chalices who provide natural-born heirs to kings. Khai, the scion of Luxor, falls hard for Durga, and he isn't afraid to show it. Khai offers Durga the love she never expected - but to accept him is to disobey the goddess.

Jake Ardri is now king of an emerging city-state and desperately wants Char Meadowlark to be his queen. As king, Jake is commanded by the goddess to provide natural-born heirs. Can Char share Jake with a beautiful chalice, trained to take Jake to the heights of sexual ecstasy?

Equivalent to approximately 160 pages in print

It is pretty good, it has a little bit of everything (Science Fiction, Fantasy, Romance)
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #10598
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Currently reading book 2: Anilyia in the Willden Trilogy
Given that I just read book 1 it was a bit tedious to get a lengthy recap of previous events, other than that the characters got humour and we get to follow new adventures.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #10599
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Reading The Second Coming by David H Burton.

Pretty good start. It's quite dark which I like. I'm getting into the writing and the story which is always a good sign.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #10600
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I Have started the Gods themsleves by Isaac Asimov. Have not read anything from Asimov apart from the foundation triology. Its fun read till now.

din
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #10601
BC1130
BC1130 will become famous soon enoughBC1130 will become famous soon enoughBC1130 will become famous soon enoughBC1130 will become famous soon enoughBC1130 will become famous soon enoughBC1130 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook
Was encouraged by my son to read The Dresden File series by author Jim Butcher and just finished the 13th book, Ghost Story. LOVED them all! I did not think I would like that type book but Butcher is a wonderful writer and can effectively hook a reader very quickly. I am now reading his Codex Alera series.
BC1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #10602
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I just finished Dennis Lehanes's Moonlight Mile. Apparently you can go home sometimes.

Twelve years after Prayers for Rain which left Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro in a rather ambiguous state of affairs, Lehane gave fans the satisfying conclusion that they deserved. It took me a chapter or so to find where I left their voices in my head, but I found them and ripped right through the book. While the previous five are completely standalone novels (I read the first two out of order with no difficulties), the last one wouldn't be as good without knowing prior events. Don't get me wrong—everything you need is there to make it a stand-alone, but I wouldn't suggest it.

I only had two small beefs:

1) Interior decorator/Fashion consultant syndrome: Maybe Lehane's done it all along and I just never caught it, but each new chapter/scene starts with a short (but extremely detailed) description of what someone is wearing and what decor they are surrounded by. Brand-names, colors—the works. This would normally piss me off, but Lehane seems to have discovered just how much free reign he can give his (obviously) inner-fashionista before it becomes distracting.

2) The title. In each of the previous novels, the title of the book was used in a sentence by one of the characters at some point in the book. That didn't happen this time (the prologue with a verse from the Rolling Stones' song doesn't count). Kinda-corny, I know, but it's something I always looked forward to. I don't think there's any way that the omission of the tradition from this book was an accident.

Anyway... as always, Lehane's strength is his characters: in all their flawed, beautiful/ugly human-ness. And in his ability to throw out enough clues that you can somewhat predict where everything is ultimately heading, yet still hold just enough back to keep the reader riveted until the very end where: a) you will always discover that you missed at least one important detail along the way. b) the seemingly simple concepts of right and wrong become clear as mud.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #10603
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1130 View Post
Was encouraged by my son to read The Dresden File series by author Jim Butcher and just finished the 13th book, Ghost Story. LOVED them all! I did not think I would like that type book but Butcher is a wonderful writer and can effectively hook a reader very quickly. I am now reading his Codex Alera series.
wow!

that was a neat first post. don't forget to read the harry dresden short story collection, 'side jobs'.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-26-2011 at 11:05 AM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #10604
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool plays poker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I just finished Dennis Lehanes's Moonlight Mile. Apparently you can go home sometimes.
i've read mystic river and shutter island and thoroughly enjoyed both, so i guess i'll have to read this one as well. besides, he plays poker with richard castle!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #10605
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace
that was a neat first post. don't forget to read the harry dresden short story collection, 'side jobs'.
I'm curious... could Side Jobs be read as an introduction/sampler to the series? Or does the reader need to have read the series in order for the short stories to make sense? What about huge massive spoilers contained in the short story collection? How many questions do you think I can ask in a row?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace
i've read mystic river and shutter island and thoroughly enjoyed both, so i guess i'll have to read this one as well. besides, he plays poker with richard castle!
Keep in mind that Moonlight Mile is the sixth novel starring his Kenzie and Gennaro characters. And even though they are all relatively self-contained, Moonlight Mile has some pretty strong connections to Gone, Baby Gone. Enough so that I would personally consider it a pre-requisite. Moonlight Mile should also be considered a series finale (even though it doesn't have to be read as such). If you have any plans of ever reading them all... I'd recommend starting at the beginning.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote