Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@twobob: well, what am I to say... dankeschön!

(no icon for tea, I'm afraid... but many icons for other... ummm...
more interesting beverages: )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #47
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@twobob: Thanks for your input. I've began typing my previous post right after @Ixtab reply to my first question, but didn't finish/post it for next 30+ minutes So I didn't see your's 'till after I've posted mine.
Now that I've read it I can see that pre-edited .jar file don't work on KK fw 3.4.

So I'll try pulling files and unpacking them in a couple of days. My USBnetworking hack works over WiFi,and I don't want to be autoupdated to fw 3.4 (waiting to see how the Calibre generated .apnx files problem with azw3 turns out ) when I turn WiFi on on my Kindle,so.. this will have to wait.
Or probably I should wait for someone else who has already setup-ed debricking & custom kernel with recovery to try this modification on KK with fw 3.3/3.4 ...

p.s. I know that I could just pull phone/ADSL cable from my rauter/modem ,but I need my internetz Downloading stuff...
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #48
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@twobob: Thanks for your input. I've began typing my previous post right after @Ixtab reply to my first question, but didn't finish/post it for next 30+ minutes So I didn't see your's 'till after I've posted mine.
Now that I've read it I can see that pre-edited .jar file don't work on KK fw 3.4.

So I'll try pulling files and unpacking them in a couple of days. My USBnetworking hack works over WiFi,and I don't want to be autoupdated to fw 3.4 (waiting to see how the Calibre generated .apnx files problem with azw3 turns out ) when I turn WiFi on on my Kindle,so.. this will have to wait.
Or probably I should wait for someone else who has already setup-ed debricking & custom kernel with recovery to try this modification on KK with fw 3.3/3.4 ...

p.s. I know that I could just pull phone/ADSL cable from my rauter/modem ,but I need my internetz Downloading stuff...
Or
You could firewall the Kindle from Amazon updates in your router;
Or
You could firewall the Kindle in its own rules, of the 3.3 image you are going to install, before you install it.
Or
You could apply one of the "disable OTA update" hacks to the 3.3 image you are going to install, before you install it.

All of the above described here at MR.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #49
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Err. then just amend your autoupdate script thusly...

Line 42 - 47 /usr/bin/process_update

Quote:
# Start updatewait in background and exit
# ${_UPDATE_WAIT} &
# msg "Started ${_UPDATE_WAIT}" I
msg "Auto updates are disabled, exiting..." I
exit 0
fi
AFAIK that does the job...
Manual updating would still work should you choose to.
Nothing else would be affected AFAICT.

Then simply revert if you want to go back to autoupdates.

Enjoy.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #50
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@shamanNS: The Calibre APNX + KF8 + FW 3.4 thing will be fixed in Calibre's next release.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #51
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: My Kindle is already on fw 3.3.

Also, I could "firewall" using Windows hosts file

@twobob Any kind of file editing (outside of "USB partition") requires USBNetworking, which works over WiFi in my case. Anyhow, I currently don't have time for editing and SSH-ing ( ), so no need for firewalling and disabling auto update.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #52
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the record, I "hot-edited" mine (on one 3.3 device) in exactly the way you describe just the other day. The edit took what? 20 seconds? It's a big update compared to that.
As it happens the update wasn't actually pushed down for quite a while.

I have ZERO Idea of their update scheduling, : )

Also... just one tip:
I could "firewall" using Windows hosts file, no, you couldn't, well you could but it wouldn't do zip, but... moving on.

Perhaps catch you when you have a bit more space for the project.
Laters...

and I'm glad you are enthused about the prospect of being a hack author

Last edited by twobob; 09-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #53
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Oops!

Oops!.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-15-2012 at 02:26 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #54
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@alansplace: Not necessarily the right place (or, more exactly, thread), but:

If they're mine, you should have stuff with the right info in the linkss/info.txt file on your Kindle. That should point you in the right direction (and, in the case of my stuff, you can safely use the uninstallers from the latest version, they handle all previous versions fine).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #55
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Re: Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@alansplace: Not necessarily the right place (or, more exactly, thread), but:

If they're mine, you should have stuff with the right info in the linkss/info.txt file on your Kindle. That should point you in the right direction (and, in the case of my stuff, you can safely use the uninstallers from the latest version, they handle all previous versions fine).
I saw that and removed it here and put it as a new thread like I believe I should have done in the first place while you were replying, sorry. See you there, ok?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #56
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@twobob: well, what am I to say... dankeschön!

(no icon for tea, I'm afraid... but many icons for other... ummm...
more interesting beverages: )

There will always be Tea

Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #57
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
In my case I have 3.2.1 firmware on DX, and I did this hack for my device. I don't have any other devices.

I wrote the steps how I did that hack in my instruction. So now everyone can make same things with his device.

What is the difference between my device and yours? The difference is the fact that your version of MobiReader (java app which is resonsible for rendering book on screen) may be different. The jar files in your case will have different resource classes with different names in comparison to mine, and those classes may have different array fields.

So, you have first to find where are those arrays that have to be changed.

I would suggest you to search for them in following way:
1) copy all jar files that you find in \opt\amazon\ebook\booklet\ and \opt\amazon\ebook\lib\ directories to your disk.
2) download JAD and put it to PATH
3) for each jar file which you found and which you suspect that it will have that array that should be changed, do following steps:
4) create a powershell file

get-childitem C:\Projects\MobiReader\ -include *.class -recurse | foreach ($_) {jad.exe -d $_.directory -s .java $_.fullname}

(MobiReader dir in my case is the dir where I unpacked MobiReader.jar)
this will decompile you all classes recursively and will create .java files for every .class file. This is for Windows machine (I am windows programmer). If you have Linux - I don't know how to automate it to avoid running jad.exe eachfile.class for every file separately.

5) in Far Manager (or any other tool you like) do search for "font.size.list" or for "17,18,21" in all java files you've just made. The latter string I made by looking at what sizes are set in FONT_SIZE parameter written to \mnt\us\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\rea der.pref file after I increase font size one by one - IN YOUR CASE FONT SIZES MAY BE DIFFERENT.

In case of Kindle DX with 3.2.1 firmware there are 2 such files that are responsible for font sizes:
\opt\amazon\ebook\booklet\MobiReader.jar
and
\opt\amazon\ebook\lib\framework-api.jar

In your case with different firmware and device, you may have different set of jar files and different classes that contain a (hardcoded) array.

But you'll have to find it on your own.

6) after you find it, follow my instruction to modify it, recomile, jar and put back to your device.
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #58
ihor
Enthusiast
ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ihor understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I've just made an experiment - and it works. There can be a choice of not 8 but more font sizes. I've made 11 options:

For this I modified the array
\framework-api\com\amazon\ebook\framework\resources\UIResourc es_en.java
like this:
"fontmenu.default.font.size.list", new int[] {
21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
}
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.png
Views:	552
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	92407  
ihor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #59
twobob

I wonder if you could find an option for "Words Per Line" and ditch that gutter...

Like "Max!" "Normal" "Useless"

I would heart that oh newly-crowned master of text tinkering : D
Old 09-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #60
shamanNS
Guru

@ihor: Nice work. Only if it head different/modified icons, that indicate size it would be perfection

@twobob: Yeah, permanent margins change would be awesome...