Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
How do text files look on your kindle?

I'm just curious what text files look like on the kindle. I'm currently building my collection in anticipation of receiving my K3 soon, and was wondering if I should keep the collection in txt or mobi format. So, do the paragraphs look decent in txt format? Can the font/size, etc be changed? Thanks for your help!
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.mobi is far superior, because it has formatting. .txt just starts a new line wherever the line wraps in the file.

The font size can be changed, just like a book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
I'm just curious what text files look like on the kindle. I'm currently building my collection in anticipation of receiving my K3 soon, and was wondering if I should keep the collection in txt or mobi format. So, do the paragraphs look decent in txt format? Can the font/size, etc be changed? Thanks for your help!
From my experience, the only difference between mobi and txt files is that on the home screen, the author is not labeled on the right side for txt files. Only the title is available.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Ok, thanks (and quite a quick reply!). I've been trying to avoid putting any pdf or txt books in my collection because the formatting sucks when I change it to mobi. I guess I'll have to continue that. It just seems that *everybody* is storing their books in pdf. How irritating.
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
As long as the formatting is decent then text files look fine. But, they look really bad if there's a New Line marker at the end of each line. If the files are already in mobi, or if that's a conversion option, then that's what you should go for.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert