Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Does resetting to factory defaults?

Since some of us are trying to update to 2.5 from different version number starting points, I was wondering if resetting to factory defaults rolls back the version number on your Kindle. Can anyone shed light on this?

CORRECTION
Apologies for the title: it should read Does resetting to factory defaults downgrade the version number on your Kindle?

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-15-2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Incomplete subject
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
FrozenRiver
FrozenRiver began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Since some of us are trying to update to 2.5 from different version number starting points, I was wondering if resetting to factory defaults rolls back the version number on your Kindle. Can anyone shed light on this?

CORRECTION
Apologies for the title: it should read Does resetting to factory defaults downgrade the version number on your Kindle?
No, it does not... I tried reseting kindle to factory default immediately after upgrading to 2.5 (because I could not make any collections), hoping that I will be able to use 2.5 to its full. No help at all. I am still left with 2.5 without collections and password protection. Instead of getting more capabilities out of 2.5, I lost all files in my kindle DX. So you might want to take note of that.

Last edited by FrozenRiver; 05-15-2010 at 05:48 AM.
FrozenRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
A reset to factory only does a user disk formatting and deleting all temporary and configuration files (it formats another internal partition) and puts the Kindle as completely empty of content and configuration.

But it does nothing with firmware itself, that is installed in a 3rd partition marked as read-only. If the firmware is bad installed it will continue bad.

A factory reset is when some work files get corrupted for any reason.

I thing there will be a option for a full reflash, but it seems it's done via hidden serial port (you need some soldering) and AFAIK none knows how to do it.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Thanks for this important info. What's increasingly clear is the extent to which Amazon is a major control-obsessed corporation!
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
A reset to factory only does a user disk formatting and deleting all temporary and configuration files (it formats another internal partition) and puts the Kindle as completely empty of content and configuration.
It should be noted that this will also de-register the device.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #6
JasonMcMullen
JasonMcMullen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Kobo Wifi Image?

Can someone please send me a copy of the Kobo wireless image please?
JasonMcMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMcMullen View Post
Can someone please send me a copy of the Kobo wireless image please?
Jason--I think you probably meant to post this in the Kobo forum...
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote