Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: How Many iPad Publication Subscriptions Will You Pay For?
1-2 7 21.88%
2-4 7 21.88%
more than 4 1 3.13%
none - I'll find free content 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Financial Times hasn't updated their iPhone app for the iPad yet, but I would subscribe to that if they charge for it... can't think of anything else I would want off the top of my head. Maybe Food and Wine.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #17
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
With Zinio I have about 8 subscriptions. Macworld, Tatoo, iPhone Life, Home Theater, Esquire, Nat'l Geo, Nat'l Geo Traveler, Elle.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #18
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I guess, with about 60% stating they would not purchase any subscriptions, the iPad is hardly the savior of the publishing industry, as some apparently hoped. Especially with prices higher than online or print....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Hardly a representative sample though as the membership here seems more to be novel/book readers than magazine readers. Never seems to be a lot of interest in magazines in threads where they come up--seems to be more saying they'll stick with e-ink as they only read novels and not magazines, comics etc.

Though you're right that prices need to come down from where they are currently if the iPad and other tablets are going to be any kind of boon for the magazine and print industries.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #20
calica
calica began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
No Kindle Magazines

I'm VERY disappointed I cannot subscribe to Kindle Subscriptions with the Kindle App. Apparently, the only work the Kindle hardware. I had a handful of mags selected before I got my iPad. Amazon could make a killing with the appstore's inflated prices.
calica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 04:26 AM   #21
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
A two year subscription to the hardcopy Esquire currently goes for $8.00, or 33 cents an issue.

http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/d...?terms=Esquire
You can't buy individual copies for that price though, it doesn't seem that unreasonable for them to start out buy just being competitive with the newstand price since initially their audience is likely to be a more casual one with people trying out digital editions for the first time. In time it will make sense for them to be more aggressive on pricing subscriptions, but they don't need to rush into that.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 AM   #22
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I live in germany, but come from the uk then I would seriously consider buying quite a few magazines digitally if the prices were reasonable, currently my options for magazines I used to buy regularly are to subscribe, just by them every few months when I am back in the uk or paying at least 50% premium on the cover price to buy them locally with none of those options being exactly ideal.

One thing I would also consider is trying new magazines if the prices were cheap enough e.g. imagine publishing release some of their magazines as iphone/ipad apps and at least some of them are under £1.50 and for that price I'd give them a go for sure, so by pricing like that they could easily end up gaining readers.

As far as drm or being a proprietary form, that just wouldn't be an issue for me as I don't tend to hoard magazines and chuck them in the recycling once I am done with them.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully a lot of magazines will start giving free trials on iPad like many do on the Kindle so people can try them out and decide it it's worth buying etc.

Right now it's just a no way thing on the iPad with a lot of magazines being $5 an issue etc. I would't pay that for an e-version of a magazine I read regularly, much less to try out a new one.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 AM   #24
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hopefully a lot of magazines will start giving free trials on iPad like many do on the Kindle so people can try them out and decide it it's worth buying etc.

Right now it's just a no way thing on the iPad with a lot of magazines being $5 an issue etc. I would't pay that for an e-version of a magazine I read regularly, much less to try out a new one.
use Zinio, and pay 10 bucks for a year subscription.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #25
Crowl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Depends on the magazine with zinio, the subscription prices vary by quite a lot.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I wasn't impressed with the demo magazines in the Zinio app.

Not optimized to fit the screen so you have to pan around, zoom to get text big enough to read etc. The pages load slowly etc.

I don't want PDFs of the print versions, I want magazines optimized for tablet devices much the way the NY Times app is a newspaper optimized for the device etc. Fit the screen, slick navigation, fast loading, include videos, audio etc. to take advantage of the medium.

That's how magazines can get me interested again, vs. the current situation where their websites are superior to the print magazines in most cases.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I will happily buy a few science and a few art magazines that I buy regularly now. I'd much prefer electronic copies, to cut down on storage.

In terms of future proof, I fully agree. I bought at least $400 dollars worth of books for my sony reader, before I really "got" the point everyone has been making about drm here at MR. I still really like my 505, but the realization that I probably won't buy another when the 505 fails, and will lose all the books, sours the milk.

I spent two days researching online how to remove the drm, but have given up - it was too technical for me to figure out. But..No More Sony Books for me.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote