Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
yolle
yolle began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR 1000
CHM file not working in FBreader

I thought I would post my message here since I got no replies from the FBreader thread:
I have a some medical books in chm format and cannot get them to open in fbreader on DR 1000S. The file sizes are rather large - 100 to 150 Mb. When I want to select them in fbreader nothing happens. I can open some of the books, but just a few.
Does anyone have the same problem? Has anyone found the solution? Is size the problem? I have tried to convert them to various format using different programs including Calibre but the conversion failed.
Thanks!
yolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolle View Post
I thought I would post my message here since I got no replies from the FBreader thread:
I have a some medical books in chm format and cannot get them to open in fbreader on DR 1000S. The file sizes are rather large - 100 to 150 Mb. When I want to select them in fbreader nothing happens. I can open some of the books, but just a few.
Does anyone have the same problem? Has anyone found the solution? Is size the problem? I have tried to convert them to various format using different programs including Calibre but the conversion failed.
Thanks!
I'm definitely not a FBreader expert, but I believe size matters. My understanding is that FBreader tries to load the entire CHM into memory. So large files can potentially cause a memory problem.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
You can also try decompile the chm file first using (on Windows) "hh -decompile <in.chm> <target dir>" and copy the <target dir> to your DR800, although I prefer FBReader if it works.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As Shaggy said, FBReader reads the entire ebook into memory - so large CHMs don't work. You could try adding swap space - I don't know how to do this on the DR1000S but see Swap on iLiad. Adding enough swap to allow 150 MB CHMs may not be practical though.

Calibre has just recently added a (beta) CHM input option. So try CHM -> MOBI using Calibre. If it does not work, post a ticket to Calibre (which is very good at responding to issues). The built-in MOBI reader does not read the entire ebook, so this might work. The downside is that the next DR1000S firmware will drop MOBI support.

Another option might be someone porting a GTK+ based CHM viewer to the DR1000S.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-22-2010 at 07:38 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
I have been thinking of doing a chmsee port (using webkit) for the v3.0 but it will be late-ish April before I get any free time
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolle View Post
Thanks!
You are in same situation like me. I had a lot of medical book like 150mb size. The best soution is to buy ABC amber CHM converter and convert it to pdf. It works for me very good. Just find the right settings for paper size and font size
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
yolle
yolle began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR 1000
I've tried to convert it to mobi and other format using Calibre, but nothing works...
The "swap file" solution is out of my computer-knowledge-reach.
Don't really know what GTK based chm viewer means but I guess I'm interested :-)
Thanks for all the answers.
yolle is offline   Reply With Quote