Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
stephanie31802
stephanie31802 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony pocket reader
Philadelphia Library

I am thinking of getting the Pocket Sony in addition to my Kindle so I can borrow library books. My library does not offer a good ebook selection. I am thinking of joining Philadelphia's library for $15. Has anybody here done this and how is their selection?
stephanie31802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I know someone on here has. If you do a search for PA or Pennsylvania library it should come up. I've been thinking about it myself. If you live in PA though, I don't think you need to pay as long as your library card has a PA Access sticker on it (which allows you to borrow from any library in PA).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Bad news for library ebook download to Kindle.

Good news for audiobook download to Kindle.

It takes a bit of looking, but I found this:

Can I transfer Adobe eBooks to an Amazon® Kindle?

No. The Amazon Kindle does not currently support eBooks protected with Adobe DRM.

To get it in the Kindle would take a bit of jumping through hoops. Download and de-DRM the book, before you can read it.

Now if you want to read those ebooks on the computer it's no problem, just not simple on the Kindle.

On the other hand - If you want to download audiobooks and put them into a mp3 player or on the Kindle - Using My Kindle as an MP3 Player

"But then I learned the secret. If I upload my MP3 into the Audible folder I have the option to fast forward, pause, rewind, etc. just like on an MP3 player. Yooo Hooo!"

Of course you can download movies, music, etc.

INFO
The Free Philadelphia Library -- Available to city residents (free), anyone 65 or older (free), residents anywhere in PA with "Access Pennsylvania" library cards (free), and non-residents ($15) Online Registration

DOWNLOADS: audio books, e-books, music, movies, plus. Downloads Download Sampler

Currently I am listening to "Master and Commander" by Patrick O'Brian.

I transfer the audiobooks to a Sansa Clip Plus using Overdrive (the lending mechanism the most, if not all, use. They will tell you that you have 10 days to listen. But once it is on a "dumb" mp3 player "it just don't know". Listen as long as it takes.

I have a double ended cord that I plug into my mp3 headphone jack, and then into the car sterio system. I do a fair (sometimes a lot) amount of driving.

P.S. - Online registration was VERY simple (but then again, I'm in PA). I got my card over the weekend, and started downloading.

Even if you can't get it free, $15 is VERY cheap to get the thousands of dowloads that are available.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 03-31-2010 at 09:17 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I saw the Free Library of Philadelphia mentioned a few days ago and decided to check out their selection. The selection is pretty decent and I was able to find a few titles I have not seen in two of the libraries with whom I have cards. The site which shows their downloadable media is Free Library of Philadelphia. The current ebook breakdown is:

ePub - 873
PDF - 420

I will probably register for a $15 out-of-state card in the next few days as I think I will get my money's worth from their selection.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have one question. Is it available for Non-USA resident? Because perhaps it would be interesting for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I have one question. Is it available for Non-USA resident? Because perhaps it would be interesting for me.
I was chatting with their online help because I couldn't figure out how to register from out of state (you have to print out a form and mail it in).

I asked your question and the person on duty didn't know. She's going to pass the question to someone higher up and email me the answer. You'd have to be able to send them a check in US dollars at the least. Or perhaps they'd take cash.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
stephanie31802
stephanie31802 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony pocket reader
Thank you for all your help. I did end up ordering the Pocket (Amazon has a great price). I think I'm going to read the few books that I am interested in from my library and then get a card for Philadelphia's library. I can't wait to start reading library book on my ereader!cc
stephanie31802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Once you begin to read library ebooks the preferred format is ePub. PDF's have reflow but paragraph breaks will show is odd places and in-book conversations are sometimes difficult to follow.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I was chatting with their online help because I couldn't figure out how to register from out of state (you have to print out a form and mail it in).

I asked your question and the person on duty didn't know. She's going to pass the question to someone higher up and email me the answer. You'd have to be able to send them a check in US dollars at the least. Or perhaps they'd take cash.

-Marcy
Please let everyone (me) know. If you can then it may be possible for me to get a library account in the UK. I realy want to read "Under The Eagle" by Simon Scarrow. Geographic limitations.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
I've been using the Philly library site for quite a while.

They do an awesome job of updating their site and have gone from 1000 books to 1300 books available in 2010, keeping up with new books like "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" and adding a few each week.

If you work in Philadelphia, you can get a card for the library regardless of where you live, you just need to show some proof of that.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
@maggotb0y: I just recently got a Philly library card with intent to use their ebooks, and I have a question: How on earth do you find anything on their eBook site?

Their search appears to be seriously wedged. For example, I can't seem to search for "all downloadable fiction ebooks." Any suggestions or tips?

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

Device: PW3, PW1, Kobo N647, Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-300, various tablets
To get the list of all fiction ebooks:
Start on their Digital media home page http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com
Click on eBooks by Genre
About halfway down the page find All eBook fiction click on Complete list...
That will take you to the list. Currently 1060 ebooks.
colleenFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
The Washington DC public library has an epub and pdf collection of about 7,000 books and lots of mp3 downloads as well. Non-resident cards are $20 per year, but you have to physically visit one of the branches to pick up your card within 30 days of online registration. It is a spectacular collection and very easy to navigate. They also have a large collection of ebooks in French.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
colleenFL
Groupie
colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.colleenFL has never been to obedience school.

I can't log in to check out ebooks this morning. Anyone else having this problem? It worked fine last night.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
colleenFL
Groupie

It was apparently some kind of software issue. It's working now.