Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Encypted Embedded Fonts in ePubs

I'm starting a new thread for this.

I now have working Python scripts for encrypting the fonts in ePubs, one for the Adobe method and one for the IDPF method.

Since the code is very similar, I'm pretty sure I have the code for the IDPF method done correctly.

My Adobe code produces ePubs that ADE will read, but which are obfusticated sufficiently that operating systems can't read them.

My IDPF code produces ePubs that look right, but that ADE will not read.

So at the moment it looks like going the Adobe route is best.

I still need to add a bit to my code a bit, (currently I have to add the encryption.xml file by hand), but it should be available by the end of next week.

Does anyone know of any ePub reader that will read IDPF obfusticated fonts? I'd like to test both

I'm also pondering whether it would be possible to include /both/ encryptions in some way. Anyone got any ideas?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Does anyone know of any ePub reader that will read IDPF obfusticated fonts? I'd like to test both
Not yet... but I'd be glad to add the option to my epub2pdf and epub-read scripts.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there a way to know which obfuscation method is used by a particular ePUB, other than trying both and seeing which one works (gives correct font files)?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure that your epub to pdf script should convert fonts that are encrypted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Is there a way to know which obfuscation method is used by a particular ePUB, other than trying both and seeing which one works (gives correct font files)?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm not sure that your epub to pdf script should convert fonts that are encrypted.
Why not? They'd only be stored in a temporary directory (which is deleted upon termination) and subset-embedded in the final PDF.
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I see what you mean. I suppose that would be OK.

(Having just got a good response from one font company I don't want to jinx anything!)

Quote:
Why not? They'd only be stored in a temporary directory (which is deleted upon termination) and subset-embedded in the final PDF.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Of course, it would be possible to "hack" into the temporary directory to get the un-obfuscated font, or to copy the code that un-obfuscates it... but I guess someone willing and knowledgeable to do that, would also be able to write the code or to get it from somewhere else. After all, the obfuscation does not prevent anything but trivial copying of font files.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

You are right, of course.

Quote:
Of course, it would be possible to "hack" into the temporary directory to get the un-obfuscated font, or to copy the code that un-obfuscates it... but I guess someone willing and knowledgeable to do that, would also be able to write the code or to get it from somewhere else. After all, the obfuscation does not prevent anything but trivial copying of font files.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Because they are going to be stored (even temp) unencrypted, it's going to be fairly easy to get at them. So unless you can deal with the fonts in memory only, don't do it.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Well, it turns out to be surprisingly simple to obfuscate/deobfuscate fonts with just with bash and xxd, provided one has the key:

Code:
for line in $(xxd -p -c 20 -l 1040 $file); do
  for i in $(seq 0 2 39); do
    if [[ ${line:$i:2} == '' ]]; then break; fi
    printf "%02x" $(( 0x${line:$i:2} ^ 0x${key:$i:2} ))
  done
done | xxd -r -p - $file
That's for the IDPF scheme, the ADE scheme would be similar, I guess.

As for including the code in epub2pdf or similar scripts, I'll probably not distribute it but I don't think there's any (legal or moral) problem in doing so.