Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you schedule your reading time?
Yes 7 12.50%
No 49 87.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm generally an ad hoc reader - but I always read in bed before I go to sleep (does that count as scheduling?).

(I haven't voted yet pending adjudication.)
Sounds like you have a schedule for when you usually do your reading "before bed"... so I would say it is a "soft" yes. But, you're the one voting.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
heh, depending on the decision, i may have to change my vote.
If it comes back a 'yes', I can vote 'no' and help Daffy out.

Update - I see the panel has decided it's a 'yes', so I'll vote 'no' then.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
If it comes back a 'yes', I can vote 'no' and help Daffy out.
or, you can vote "yes" and daffy and i can swap.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Pfft... it's not all that important.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Oh, now I'm dithering ... I'll vote 'yes' then, not 'no' now.

I have now voted 'yes'!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I voted "no" before reading the thread. Like Sparrow, I read in bed each night before I turn off the light. I also read when I'm in the car. Most of the time, my hubby is driving and I've got a reader or paper book in my hands. On those rare events that I'm alone in the car and thus must be the driver, I "read" audio CDs. I read on airplanes. So although some of these events are scheduled, they're not scheduled for the purpose of reading, so I think I'm sticking with "no".
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I try to read at least two fiction book every week so that can often steer my decisions. But it is not scheduling as such.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I don't schedule a specific time because I read whenever there is time -- and I don't watch TV at all, so there is no competition for my time. I usually sit with a cup of green tea (I love the People's Republic of Tea's Daily Green Tea) in my recliner after dinner and read for a few hours during the work week. On weekends, because my wife is a painter and is preparing for an upcoming show, I get to laze around some more and read.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It has come to my attention while looking at my Kindle home page there are alot more to-read books on their then my reading time seems to allow me to get to. Through consideration I also know that I spend alot of time doing other things, perhaps through lazyness like watching the tube or spending alot of time on sites like twitter and facebooks.

So, I have been considering setting aside a specific time to read... or at least a goal. I was thinking of starting with something simple like, read at least 2 hours per day (in one block) on Saturday and Sunday.

Anyone else do something like this? Anyone else have DEAR (drop everything and read) time at their house hld?

BOb
I don't. But I should!

In my holidays, I've read in 5 days what usually takes me 2 or more months to read. And no, I didn't do reading marathons (well, one when I had to be inside a plane for 10 hours. I might have read about 5 non-straight hours then).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I voted yes because I read every day on the train going to, and coming from work. It's not really scheduled, but I get my 2 hours read a day nicely that way.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #26
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I am scheduled for sure every Saturday and Sunday morning. My husband and I take a minimum of 10 -17 mile bike ride, then we go to a coffee house and read for a couple of hours.

The people in the coffee house call us "the bike people". ahah

I usually read before bed also. That is shorter. I confess I cannot always stay awake.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Getting rid of my cable TV left me with a lot of time on my hands. Naturally, I gravitate towards reading. I don't "schedule" time for reading, but my reading does seem to follow a schedule: lunch hours + 2-3 hours in the evening.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I don't strictly "schedule" time to read, but I do look at what's on my calendar for the day and tentatively plan a good slot of time for reading.

So I voted Yes.

If I didn't slot reading into my calendar, I'd do nothing but work work work write work work work write.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I don't schedule a specific time because I read whenever there is time -- and I don't watch TV at all, so there is no competition for my time.
Same here. I rarely, if ever, watch TV despite HTPC's being a hobby. I read whenever I get free time (at least when I'm not futzing around with my computers). I think I've developed insomnia due to too much reading. I read in bed saying it's just until I go to sleep, but more often than not, it keeps me awake until the wee hours of the morning.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 AM   #30
hnoto
Groupie
hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hnoto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I don't schedule, per se, however I know that during the summer I will have more time for reading than during the school year. (Teacher) I also know that I have trouble putting down a new book once I've started reading it. (Too many late nights, work left undone, etc.) So, as EOY comes around, when things are busiest, I will buy the new books that come out but not read them until school is out. I look forward to the first few weeks of summer vacation every year as a time I can read most every day without too many distractions. (Ok, I have kids, and they usually want food a couple of times a day, but otherwise...)

This summer, I got roped into teaching summer school for the first 2 weeks, and my very last class for my Master's degree was the first 5 weeks, so I'm only NOW, TODAY officially on summer break and have started reading.

hmmm....that was longer than I thought.

Meaning, I don't really schedule, but do plan sometimes.
hnoto is offline   Reply With Quote