Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #76
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
A number of Asian fonts are distributed as TrueType collections (.ttc files) - multiple OpenType fonts in a single file structure. For instance, the standard Windows fonts MingLiU / PMingLiU, MS Mincho / MS PMincho, and SimSun / NSimSun are distributed as TrueType collections.

It seems that ADE and Sony Reader do not support embedded font collections in EPUBs.

Have anyone tried embedding TrueType collections into EPUBs?
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #77
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I tried several ttc fonts on my XP, including "Cambria.ttc". It seems ADE does not accept embedded TTC font, but EPUBReader (a Firefox plugin) does.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #78
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Thanks for info. The present version of Atlantis Word Processor does not embed TTC files. TTC embedding can be easily implemented. But since only a Firefox plugin supports embedded TTCs, I am not sure that embedding them makes sense.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #79
Boomstick
Boomstick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Would someone please take a look at this thread, read post ten and tell me if what I want to achieve, is possible.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Boomstick; 01-06-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #80
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomstick View Post
Would someone please take a look at this thread, read post ten and tell me if what I want to achieve, is possible.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Opening the main TOC menu opens up a list with:

Title Page
Mains: Meat
Mains: Fish
Mains: Vegetarian
ETC
ETC
And so on
And so forth

Is it possible to set each of those options as a TOC? So clicking on Mains: Meat would open another TOC menu listing all the recipes under that section, then I can utilise the buttons down the right hand side of my eReader as each button would link to a specific recipe.
You can certainly create a hierarchical TOC. Set meat, fish, vegetarian etc to be h1, then set the recipes in each section to h2. Use the 'heading1' and 'heading2' styles in AWP.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #81
Boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
You can certainly create a hierarchical TOC. Set meat, fish, vegetarian etc to be h1, then set the recipes in each section to h2. Use the 'heading1' and 'heading2' styles in AWP.
I'm not sure what you mean by h1 & h2.

This is the layout I have currently:

------------------------
Recipes (TOC Title)

[TOC 5]
Mains: Pasta
Mains: Pies
Desserts: Cakes
Desserts: Ice-Cream
Desserts: Cheesecakes
Desserts: Crumbles
Desserts: Tarts
Desserts: Pastries
Soups: Meat
Soups: Fish
Soups: Vegetarian
Snacks & Sides
[/TOC 5]

[Page Break]

[Heading 5] Mains: Meat [Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Mains: Fish [Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Mains: Vegetarian [Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Mains: Pasta[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Mains: Pies[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Cakes[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Ice-Cream[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Cheesecakes[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Crumbles[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Tarts[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Desserts: Pastries[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Soups: Meat[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Soups: Fish[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Soups: Vegetarian[Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

[Heading 5]Snacks & Sides [Heading 5]
Hyperlinks to recipes
[Page Break]

Recipes

[Page Break]
[List of recipes linked into the above via bookmarks & hyperlinks]
------------------------------------

What I'm trying to accomplish is that clicking on Mains: Meat from the above TOC opens another TOC with all the meat dish recipes listed. Clicking on Mains: Pasta opens another, separate TOC with all the pasta dishes linked and so on & so forth.

If this is what you mean already, can you tell me exactly what I need to change (or if I need to rebuild the whole thing from the ground up) because I'm pretty stumped thus far

Last edited by Boomstick; 01-06-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #82
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you're using AWP, just set the style of your main headings to heading1 (in the Format menu) and use the heading2 style for the recipes.

Have you tried that?
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #83
Boomstick

I have tried that now.

After selecting "update entire table" within Atlantis, the file now looks like this:

------------
Recipes: [TOC Title]

[TOC 1]
Snacks & Sides[/TOC 1]
[TOC 2]
All Recipes[/TOC 2]
----------------------

The recipes aren't selectable from their own sections but are all listed under Snacks & Sides. What else do I need to change?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #84
awp
Addict

Did you mean the document structure as in the attached Recipes.rtf?
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Recipes.rtf (42.7 KB, 445 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #85
awp
Addict

I am also attaching the corresponding EPUB generated by Atlantis Word Processor from Recipes.rtf.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Recipes.epub (3.9 KB, 397 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #86
awp
Addict

By the way, you do not necessarily need to include an inline TOC in the source document in order to have a NCX TOC in eReader for your EPUB book (please see attached files).
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Recipes (no inline TOC).rtf (34.1 KB, 395 views)
File Type: epub Recipes (no inline TOC).epub (3.3 KB, 408 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #87
Boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
By the way, you do not necessarily need to include an inline TOC in the source document in order to have a NCX TOC in eReader for your EPUB book (please see attached files).
Thank you ever so much. This is exactly what I want.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #88
awp
Addict

I would personally use a 3-level heading hierarchy.

Level 1: Mains, Desserts, Soups, Snacks & Sides.
Level 2: Meat, Fish, Vegetarian, etc.
Level 3: Recipe #1, Recipe #2, Recipe #3, etc.

Please see attached files. You might like this 3-level structure more.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Recipes (3-level TOC).rtf (32.8 KB, 471 views)
File Type: epub Recipes (3-level TOC).epub (3.4 KB, 424 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #89
Boomstick

I would like to retract my previous post. That^^ is exactly what I'm after.

Thanks again.

Edit:

If it's simple enough, how would I go about splitting the Cheesecakes section? Is it possible to do this "on the fly" without having to rewrite the template each time as there might be other sections I need to split at a later date.

Edit II:

Am I correct in assuming that I just create a heading4 style, set that as the recipe heading (obviously changing all recipe headings in the process) then make any necessary changes to the heading3 style and insert that between the "Cheesecakes" heading and any relevant recipes?

Last edited by Boomstick; 01-07-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #90
awp
Addict

It is very simple. You actually do not even need any template. You only need to remember a few simple things:

Any paragraph in your source document should be either a "heading" or a "body text" paragraph.

A "heading" is a paragraph associated with one of the "Heading N" styles. You can have up to 9 "Heading N" styles in your document: "Heading 1", "Heading 2", ... "Heading 9". The N number in a style name corresponds to the outline (hierarchy) level of this style.

A "body text" paragraph is a paragraph associated with any style other than "Heading N".

All the "heading" paragraphs from your source document get included in the TOC (Table Of Contents) of the eBook. So when you want a paragraph to be included in the TOC, just format (associate) it with a "Heading N" style of the corresponding level.

Adding "body text" to your document is very simple. Just type any text, and make sure it is associated with a non-"Heading N" style.

Before adding "headings" to your document, it is preferable to decide how many heading levels you will have in your document.

The "Recipes (no inline TOC).rtf" document (attached to one of the above posts) has headings of 2 levels. The level-1 headings are associated with the "Heading 1" style. The level-2 headings are associated with the "Heading 2" style. "Body text" paragraphs in "Recipes (no inline TOC).rtf" are associated with the "Normal" style. So only 3 styles are used in this document.

"Recipes (3-level TOC).rtf" has headings of 3 levels. The level-1 headings are associated with the "Heading 1" style. The level-2 headings are associated with the "Heading 2" style. The level-3 headings are associated with the "Heading 3" style. "Body text" paragraphs are associated with the "Normal" style. 4 styles are used in "Recipes (3-level TOC).rtf".

But you said that you like the 2-level structure more. In this case you only need 3 styles in your document: "Heading 1", "Heading 2", and "Normal". You can easily apply one of these styles to any paragraph in your document (even when you create a document from scratch). The Ctrl+Shift+S hot key in Atlantis Word Processor displays a list of the paragraph styles available in the active document. When you need to apply a different style to the current paragraph, just press Ctrl+Shift+S, select the desired style with the arrow keys, then press Enter to associate the selected style with the current paragraph. So when you want to make the current paragraph a "heading", just press Ctrl+Shift+S, and choose either the "Heading 1" or "Heading 2" style, then press Enter.

Breaking, moving or merging chapters is very simple when you understand the purpose of these 3 styles, and how to apply them to individual paragraphs.

When to use the "Heading 1" style? In your case, level-1 headings (I mean headings associated with the "Heading 1" style) correspond to a group of related recipes. The following paragraphs in your document should be associated with the "Heading 1" style:

Code:
Snacks & Sides
Each "Heading 1" paragraph should have multiple associated recipes. Each recipe should be preceded by a "recipe name" (or "recipe title", or "recipe heading") paragraph. The recipe text should be associated with the "Normal" style. The "recipe heading" paragraph should be associated with the "Heading 2" paragraph. This will allow to have the following outline structure of the document:

Code:
Mains: Meat (Heading 1)
	Recipe #1 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #1 text (Normal)
	Recipe #2 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #2 text (Normal)
	Recipe #3 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #3 text (Normal)
Mains: Fish (Heading 1)
	Recipe #4 heading (Heading 2)
		Recipe #4 text (Normal)
	Recipe #5 heading (Heading 2)