Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I hate it when things like this happen.

As everyone knows, from long experience with their lousy customer service, I am not a Sony fan. Their reader is very pretty, but still NOT a Sony fan.

Also NOT a fan of KitchenAid. Really, just not. And for exactly the same reasons. Most of their products seem to break down early on, and the customer service is crap.

So, when this KitchenAid dishwasher (that came with the house ... I would never in a million years have knowingly picked that brand) died after four years of use, I wanted to pick something (anything) that was not KitchenAid.

Went to the store, saw a Maytag dishwasher that looked really good. It was supposed to arrive tomorrow. I got a call about an hour ago from KitchenAid (WTF??) telling me my order would be delayed two days.

Right ... turns out Whirlpool, Maytag and KitchenAid are all the same company. It's like really hating Sony customer service, purchasing a Kindle, and the first time you call customer service for Amazon, you hear the operator answer "Sony Customer Service, may I help you?"

I really need a new dishwasher. Now I have to decide if I should cancel this order, and try to find someone online (where, sadly, I won't be able to get a good look inside the thing, which really matters when you are mostly washing a bazillion small cat food bowls every day and the worst thing that can happen is that they slip through the grid and down into the mechanism).

Erk. What to do, what to do?? Perhaps the resident religious academic will have some sage thoughts to get me through this. Other than calling me a "pig" I mean.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
My daughter raves about the LG brand.

Kinda pricey, but I know her 'over the stove' microwave is so quiet I barely hear it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
My daughter raves about the LG brand.

Kinda pricey, but I know her 'over the stove' microwave is so quiet I barely hear it.
Actually, I looked at the LG brand dishwashers, they were about $500 LESS than the Maytag model.

Unfortunately, their grid has HUGE gaps in it .... gigantic. Like three or four inches between wire sections. In addition, it is impossible to adjust the dish holders, which are much bigger than the bowls I use.

Between the size of the grid and the size of the holders, it's a disaster waiting to happen .... all for about $800 (not including the cost of installation).

The NICE thing about this dishwasher (aside from the insane price .... which is not nice ... almost $1400) is that it has two drawer style washing bays which allow you to do two loads at different temperatures. So, I could wash my plastic (which would melt in a hot wash) at a cool temperature at the same time that I put the cat bowls through a sani-wash. Rather than doing two or more loads.

Also, I could stack a large number of the stainless bowls in the top drawer without any worry about then dropping into the water rotation mechanism (the grid spaces are only about one inch square). Being able to wash as many as say 70 bowls in a small load that uses less water is a big plus in my book.

The only HUGE downside is that it's really KitchenAid and I freaking HATE KitchenAid. We're talking about a company that refuses to send parts to an end user. You are not "allowed" to make your own repairs. Even when it is no longer under warranty, you simply MUST use a certified KitchenAid repair person .... and of COURSE they charge extra for driving all the way out here from Austin. I finally had to drive into Austin, bluff them into believing that I was picking up a part for some other company (yes, I paid for it ... don't be silly), and put it in myself. Stupid part was almost $300, and a new unit would have only have been $450 .... if I got another KitchenAid, which I had vowed never to do .... and here I find myself with one on order.

Keeeerap!!!

Oh look .... my new eggs have hatched ....
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
justlizz
Connoisseur
justlizz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Re the smallbowls I have a rubber cloth thing with holes in it and I use in dishwasher when I have a lot of small items to wash( it is a cut of bit of groundsheet)it works very well in stopping things slipdown
lizz
justlizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to be a dyed in the wool Sears Kenmore consumer. Nothing else would ever do. Their appliances were always the best, bar none. Now? Not so much. Like everthing else, appliances are built with a "lets see how fast we can make them replace" it attitude. The Kenmore brand is Whirlpool, GE, and probably others.

Is it the parts? The assemblers? The workplace? The attitude? The design?

All I know, is that a $5.99 toaster I bought 5 years ago just quit. I think I got my moneys worth. Went and bought another, different brand, same price. Okay, it had gone up to $6.33. Meanwhile, bought my daughter a $90 Cuisinart 4 slice stainless steel toaster 2 years ago, and the piece of crap has never done a good job, and IT just quit. Told her to buy one like mine, and if she didn't like what it looked like (kinda ugly, like my Kindle ) she could put a nice cover over it..........
Advert
Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Cover up

Quote:
Told her to buy one like mine, and if she didn't like what it looked like (kinda ugly, like my Kindle ) she could put a nice cover over it..........
Just like those stove elements? I hope you unplug yours before you cover it up.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Just like those stove elements? I hope you unplug yours before you cover it up.

yeah, well, whats a few singe marks?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

yeah, well, whats a few singe marks?
Depends where they are and who put them there.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Depends where they are and who put them there.
which is why I' learned the hard way never to cook bacon nekkid!

In my youth!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
which is why I' learned the hard way never to cook bacon nekkid!

In my youth!!!
Is it true, that the older you get, the harder it is to cook bacon nekkid?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Is it true, that the older you get, the harder it is to cook bacon nekkid?

Nah, you just don't think about it as much........
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My wife seems to think that I'm a pretty good dishwasher.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Up until recently, we've had ASKO dishwashers. They used to be where you'd hide out from a nuclear blast (even better than a bad Indiana Jones movie), but I think they may have declined a little in quality. Still, we'd probably get another. We bought an LG recently, and I hate the mongrel-bastiche thing - the "adjustable plate racks" on the bottom always "adjust" flat whenever you try to put bowls in them, the wine glass bit up the top holds wine glasses, as long as you're willing to give up an extra row where you'd like to put glasses, the wine glass stem holder must be down even when not being used (unlike the "delicate cutlery" rack on the other side) else the dishwasher won't close, which rules out tall glasses along that side, its plate-holder up top is set so that putting large items up there is an exercise in puzzled Rubikscubism, and if you load it up with plates on the bottom, you have to be quick and firm wheeling the bottom rack back in over the "canyon" between the door and the dishwasher proper otherwise the wheels drop into the abyss, it all tilts up, and the bottom rack's pouring its contents into the dishwasher). Other than that though, it works.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Up until recently, we've had ASKO dishwashers. They used to be where you'd hide out from a nuclear blast (even better than a bad Indiana Jones movie), but I think they may have declined a little in quality. Still, we'd probably get another. We bought an LG recently, and I hate the mongrel-bastiche thing - the "adjustable plate racks" on the bottom always "adjust" flat whenever you try to put bowls in them, the wine glass bit up the top holds wine glasses, as long as you're willing to give up an extra row where you'd like to put glasses, the wine glass stem holder must be down even when not being used (unlike the "delicate cutlery" rack on the other side) else the dishwasher won't close, which rules out tall glasses along that side, its plate-holder up top is set so that putting large items up there is an exercise in puzzled Rubikscubism, and if you load it up with plates on the bottom, you have to be quick and firm wheeling the bottom rack back in over the "canyon" between the door and the dishwasher proper otherwise the wheels drop into the abyss, it all tilts up, and the bottom rack's pouring its contents into the dishwasher). Other than that though, it works.

Cheers,
Marc
We have ASKO washer and dryer and the SUCK. And now my mom is stuck with them, because she had a piece of marble custom fitted on them.

And despite all of your complaints Ricky, I still desperately want a Kitchen Aid Mixer.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
We don't have a dishwasher - there's not really any space in our kitchen, and there's only two of us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
And despite all of your complaints Ricky, I still desperately want a Kitchen Aid Mixer.
I have one in yellow - and a blender. Had both about 6-7 years and never had a problem with either (and yes, they do get used ) However, I probably wouldn't buy a large appliance from them.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote