Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #1
g1v
g1v began at the beginning.

Device: none
Broke my PRS 505

What is wrong with me!!!

I broke my camera 4 days ago and just this evening dropped my reader on the floor. It fell face down from a height of about 5 feet. I had it in its case with the cover folded over in my left hand and was putting something up on our sideboard, the case slipped and I just watched as it hit the ground right in front of my wife. She looked at me with that "what is wrong with you look". I turned it on after the drop and the screen is blank except on the left side which is one solid black line. I tried resetting it but have the same problem.

I have used the reader just about every day for about 2 to 3 hours each day since I purchased it back in November/December (don't remember the exact date) 2007. I normally take very good care of my electronics. Usually I upgrade an item for a feature that I want and not due to breakage. But this last week has been very odd.

I'm actually feeling a little depressed about this. There's no $ in the budget so soon after Christmas to buy a new one. My wife was actually very understanding because of my history with electronics, now she won't let me touch her camera or our laptops!

Well I'll stop by the Sony store in San Francisco tomorrow and see if she'll let me get a new one.
g1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I'm so sorry to hear that g1v. I also had my Sony since December 2007. I actually purchased it online on the 1st and received it on the 6th. It had problem holding charges and I returned for warranty service on December 1st 2008 (talking about cutting it close), on December 12, I received a brand new reader from Sony and they charged me $29! So now, my reader is only 2 months old! Call Sony and see if they'll replace it for cheaper then buying a new one. Also, the internet is cheaper then Sonystyle stores. Good luck
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Wow. That hurts just thinking about it. I bought my reader at Target and even though I never buy the extended warranty on anything, I did on the reader. I still hope I never need it.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi g1v and welcome to the Forum. Bummer about your 505. Like HistoryWes, I never get the extended warranty on anything but made an exception on the 505. So far, fingers crossed, I haven't needed it.

Anyway, be sure and let us know if, and when, you get a replacement
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh no!! I'd be crying if I did that! I dropped mine once, but it fell on the corner and just took a small chunk out of the case but didn't affect the screen.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I would cry. Big fat baby tears. I hope you get it replaced (preferably at a not-full-price rate) soon.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
g1v
g1v began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey all thanks for the kind words.

I went to the Sony Style store today and checked out the PRS 700. I do like the UI, integrated light and the speed of the page turns. However I am so accustomed to the screen on the 505 I don't know how easily I could adjust to the 700 screen. I'm not very patient when it comes to purchasing some items. I know I could get a better deal online but I normally just buy whatever it is from a local store so I can have it immediately.

The good news is my wife said I can buy a new one in 2 weeks. She said it would be ok to use my credit card but we're almost completely out of debt and I would rather just wait until I have the cash on hand. So I'll probably order online since I have to wait. I'll let you know when I get one. Until then its back to my Handera 330 and Palm TX for my daily ebook fix.

~g
g1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Since you're in SF bay area and want to buy in a store, check out Frys. They have 505 for $270, everyday low price. 700 is also in stock, but the price is the same as in SonyStyle.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1v View Post
Hey all thanks for the kind words.

I went to the Sony Style store today and checked out the PRS 700. I do like the UI, integrated light and the speed of the page turns. However I am so accustomed to the screen on the 505 I don't know how easily I could adjust to the 700 screen. I'm not very patient when it comes to purchasing some items. I know I could get a better deal online but I normally just buy whatever it is from a local store so I can have it immediately.

The good news is my wife said I can buy a new one in 2 weeks. She said it would be ok to use my credit card but we're almost completely out of debt and I would rather just wait until I have the cash on hand. So I'll probably order online since I have to wait. I'll let you know when I get one. Until then its back to my Handera 330 and Palm TX for my daily ebook fix.

~g
Good for you for getting rid of that debt! If you pay cash it'll be that much sweeter.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Very wise move. You'll appreciate your new 505/700 knowing you're not paying outrageously high interest.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1v View Post
What is wrong with me!!!

I broke my camera 4 days ago and just this evening dropped my reader on the floor. It fell face down from a height of about 5 feet. I had it in its case with the cover folded over in my left hand and was putting something up on our sideboard, the case slipped and I just watched as it hit the ground right in front of my wife. She looked at me with that "what is wrong with you look". I turned it on after the drop and the screen is blank except on the left side which is one solid black line. I tried resetting it but have the same problem.

I have used the reader just about every day for about 2 to 3 hours each day since I purchased it back in November/December (don't remember the exact date) 2007. I normally take very good care of my electronics. Usually I upgrade an item for a feature that I want and not due to breakage. But this last week has been very odd.

I'm actually feeling a little depressed about this. There's no $ in the budget so soon after Christmas to buy a new one. My wife was actually very understanding because of my history with electronics, now she won't let me touch her camera or our laptops!

Well I'll stop by the Sony store in San Francisco tomorrow and see if she'll let me get a new one.
ut oh, thats 2. one more thing is set to break on you.
this happend to me a few months ago. Xbox 360, VID card and PSU in my PC, PRS 500 sat on.. all in all I was out 400 bucks.

bad luck always comes in threes.. get an old cell phone or Ipod and go break it before you break something expencive.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

If you're daring, I'd open it up to see if anything came loose.

It might (if you're lucky ) of just knocked the internal connection loose.
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
sheppy124
sheppy124 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Put it on ebay, saying dropped etc, somebody will have it off you, a bit of extra cash for the new one.
sheppy124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I had a close call yesterday when the reader bounced off the arm rest of my lounge and landed on the carpet . Lucky it hit the bottom edge and the cover absorbed the impact and no damage.
Though probably unrelated it was acting weird all day. First I couldn't delete books from the reader when I press the Mark button but bookmarks would work OK then I couldn't turn it off with the power switch and it wouldn't go into sleep mode after an hour but everything else was working normally apart from an abnormally high drainage of the battery.
Sanity was restored to the reader after recharging it and hard-resetting it.
Quite strange
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote