Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
bigmat1201
bigmat1201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
best kindle case?

I just bought a kindle and I was looking for a case. I was looking at a few different ones: like this one, or this one. Which one would you recommed including any others that you know about?

I'm also looking for a book light, which one would you recommend?

Also what is the largest SD card that it will except (unofficially)?

Thanks
bigmat1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
geko29
geko29 began at the beginning.

I, and many others on here, have the previous version of this case and love it. I've never taken the pack-in case out of the wrap. The version I linked is designed to also hold this light, which makes carrying both simple. I have this one, which I like quite well, but has to be carried separately and attached to the case each time you want to use it.

I think people have tried 16GB SD cards. I know for a fact that this 8GB card works like a champ, because I have my 50MB collection on it.

Last edited by geko29; 12-10-2008 at 10:15 AM.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Octochick
Zealot
Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Octochick has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I have heard those silcone type covers can be hard to get it on and they trap dirt and get a little nasty. You might want to try a skin, they look great and will protect your K from getting dirty. Then a good cover to protect even further and make it easy to read.

I have heard good things about the M edge as mentioned above but I have this one which comes with a light. It is slim and light weight and l like it a lot but just switched to an Oberon which was a gift and is pretty amazing but pricey.

There are several post already on this board on skins and covers... look through and I am sure you will be able to choose what you need.
Octochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
bigmat1201

So the M-edge Leisure Jacket is not a very good case? Its made by the same company as the other case you all recommended. The only problem with it is I've read some reviews that said sometimes it push's the page buttons on accident, which would get annoying.

Is there any physical store that sells M-edge products so I could try it out before I buy it?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
My three Kindles all have homemade cases, created from a Franklin Covey DayOne appointment notebook.

It was important for me to have a case that provided a lot of protection as well as a zippered closure.

At the time I made mine, no one sold much of anything that I liked.

I would be very cautious in purchasing any of the commercial cases. If someone says they use a particular case, ask them why they like it and how they use their Kindle. Have they ever dropped it?

Good luck finding something that you really like and that protects your Kindle.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
DawnOfChaos
DawnOfChaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, WM PDA phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
My three Kindles all have homemade cases, created from a Franklin Covey DayOne appointment notebook.
I saw on another thread that one of your cases had a notepad on the opposite side of the Kindle. Do you find that provides enough screen protection, or do you have any other types of screen protection on any of your diy notebooks?
DawnOfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #7
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
I, and many others on here, have the previous version of this case and love it.
I agree with your comment here! We bought our three children (27, 25, and 17 years old) Kindles for Christmas. We bought these new Medge covers for each of them, except we chose the Black leather, the Mocha and Chocolate, and a Blue one so that each would have their own special cover. They are very nice!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #8
bigmat1201

Ok I just had a thought, I'm a student and I live with a backpack on my back all day, so if I had case that could attach to my backpack with a carabiner (one of those snap hooks) then I wouldn't have to carry it, and run the chance of leaving it somewhere, or stick it in my backpack and have to stop and take my backpack off to get it out. But the case needs to have some sort of loop that I could attach it to, I haven't seen a dedicated kindle case like that. Have any of yall, or have any thoughts about a case that would do the job?

Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmat1201 View Post
Ok I just had a thought, I'm a student and I live with a backpack on my back all day, so if I had case that could attach to my backpack with a carabiner (one of those snap hooks) then I wouldn't have to carry it, and run the chance of leaving it somewhere, or stick it in my backpack and have to stop and take my backpack off to get it out. But the case needs to have some sort of loop that I could attach it to, I haven't seen a dedicated kindle case like that. Have any of yall, or have any thoughts about a case that would do the job?

Thanks
Um, the case would need more than a snap hook to attach it. It would also need to be 'bang proof'. Otherwise, one good bump and your Kindle is an expensive door stop.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #10
bigmat1201

Is there any case you would recommend?

I don't expect to get too banged up, but yes it could happen.

why would it need more than something to attach a snap hook to, I mean yes it would be free floating but the place I was going to attach it to on my backpack would only allow it to bump me in the chest, so it would be bumped around but it shouldn't be to bad. But I am used to my electronics being well made, like my macbook pro which is just about indestructible.

How fragile is the Kindle?
Old 12-13-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmat1201 View Post
Is there any case you would recommend?

I don't expect to get too banged up, but yes it could happen.

why would it need more than something to attach a snap hook to, I mean yes it would be free floating but the place I was going to attach it to on my backpack would only allow it to bump me in the chest, so it would be bumped around but it shouldn't be to bad. But I am used to my electronics being well made, like my macbook pro which is just about indestructible.

How fragile is the Kindle?
Its the screen you have to worry about. And about how fragile?
Just depends on how its hit. The info video shows it being drops from like 30" without harm........but some have complained about screen harm after leaning on it, or dropping it from a lessor height.
I haven't done any research on 'hard' cases, but that's one I'd want if it were being transported loose.....I have mine in the M-edge leather case, and I love it..but when 'we' go anywhere, its in the middle section of my purse.

The Kindle is not built like your mac book pro.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Hard Shell

Maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Carrying-Elect...9205517&sr=8-1

anyone else ?
Old 12-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
bigmat1201

I saw that one, but as far as I could tell, it didn't have any way to attach it with a snap hook to my backpack. Any Ideas?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
MonaLS
Groupie
MonaLS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Gen 1), Kindle DX, Kindle Fire, LG Enact
I think Kindle is too fragile for something like that. You would need something with some serious protection.
MonaLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
I think Kindle is too fragile for something like that. You would need something with some serious protection.
I think you're right.

Any idea where a true hardshell case could be found? I've checked on Amazon.....