Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
nikoday
nikoday began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 black
Red face Ask for diags & diags_kernel img for k4 black

My k4 black was bricked after one month use.
I followed the instructions in ‘ Guide to debricking Kindle Touch v4’ , but got stuck when entering diags mode.
I used the images from pastebin, flashed all 3 images including diags, diags_kernel and kernel, but got black screen when entering diags mode.
I guess maybe these images are NOT suitable for k4 black?
nikoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoday View Post
My k4 black was bricked after one month use.
I followed the instructions in ‘ Guide to debricking Kindle Touch v4’ , but got stuck when entering diags mode.
I used the images from pastebin, flashed all 3 images including diags, diags_kernel and kernel, but got black screen when entering diags mode.
I guess maybe these images are NOT suitable for k4 black?
Both K4 colors use the same firmware. It should work.

Which images did you download?

What commands did you use to flash them?

Did the images get flashed to the correct locations?

A black screen could happen if you flashed the main kernel to the diags_kernel partition...

On the K4, the main partition uses eink drivers (and other code) similar to the K3. But in diags, a K4 uses code similar to the K5. You can verify this by noticing that K4 main uses the eink_fb driver, while k4 diags uses mxc_fb (the new K5 eink driver).

EDIT: Why did you flash "kernel" without its matching main partition? Where did you flash it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
nikoday

Thanks for the replies.
I followed the steps again to find out where I made mistakes.
1. Download and check Images(4.0.1)
Click image for larger version

Name:	img-files.png
Views:	626
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	96824
2. Switch to fastboot mode
3. Flash images

Name:	flash-img.png
Views:	584
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	96825
4. Reboot

However, after several flashes, kindle screen still turned to total black.
Now I am charging with AC power, update later.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 4.0.1 kernels were know to be bad (too short), and they were removed from the pastebin for that reason.

You should have better success using the 4.0.0 kernels and images... Then after removing the screensaves 800x600 file, and renaming 800x600_ to 800x600 (bad screensaver hack residue in the 4.0.0 main image), you can update to newer firmware...

Someday, I or somebody should download and fix that 4.0.0 main image, then reupload it...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I followed the steps again to find out where I made mistakes.
1. Download and check Images(4.0.1)
Attachment 96824
2. Switch to fastboot mode
3. Flash images
Attachment 96825
4. Reboot

However, after several flashes, kindle screen still turned to total black.
Now I am charging with AC power, update later.
When, where, and what 'main" kernel did you flash to match that "main" partition image?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
nikoday

I download 3 images(v4.0) : main_kernel, diags_kernel,p2

Name:	download-img.png
Views:	587
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	96827
The extracted images:

Name:	extracted_imgs.png
Views:	562
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	96828
Then, flash the images:
Sequence are p2, diags_kernel, main_kernel, as shown :

Name:	flash-imgs.png
Views:	539
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	96829
Finally, the output:

Name:	output.png
Views:	581
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	96830
Old 11-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I download 3 images(v4.0) : main_kernel, diags_kernel,p2
Attachment 96827
The extracted images:
Attachment 96828
Then, flash the images:
Sequence are p2, diags_kernel, main_kernel, as shown :
Attachment 96829
Finally, the output:
Attachment 96830
With the result of showing the "Boy under the tree" screen saver image while in the "diag" mode.

Now which "main" file system image (mmcblk0p1) do you intend to use? (it **must** match the 'main' kernel)

The Kindles are "dual boot" machines, there should be two pairs, a kernel and a file system image in each pair, for a total of four files, not three.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
nikoday

I have not flashed p1, because I cann't enter diags mode.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have not flashed p1, because I cann't enter diags mode.
The image you posted shows that you are in diags mode.
Or at least you where the last time the e-ink display was updated.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
nikoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The image you posted shows that you are in diags mode.
Or at least you where the last time the e-ink display was updated.
yes, I should be in diags mode, but I can't see any text due to display problem
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
yes, I should be in diags mode, but I can't see any text due to display problem
Diags can crash like that (twisted boy under tree) if the diags kernel does not match the diags partition, or if the battery was too low to finish booting to diags.

While in diags mode, there is no screensaver or sleep mode, so the battery can discharge completely (making it appear bricked). It would be good to leave it connected to a charger (or host PC) while in diags mode.

P.S. The "twisted boy under tree" screen happens because the startup code assumes 608x800, but in diags the screen is actually 600x800. This is normal for a K4, but should only last a second or two before the diags menu appears (unless battery is too discharged).
Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
nikoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Diags can crash like that (twisted boy under tree) if the diags kernel does not match the diags partition, or if the battery was too low to finish booting to diags.

While in diags mode, there is no screensaver or sleep mode, so the battery can discharge completely (making it appear bricked). It would be good to leave it connected to a charger (or host PC) while in diags mode.

P.S. The "twisted boy under tree" screen happens because the startup code assumes 608x800, but in diags the screen is actually 600x800. This is normal for a K4, but should only last a second or two before the diags menu appears (unless battery is too discharged).
When the charging LED turned green, I plugged it to usb host and restart, but still got the twisted image.
I am quited confused now.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
When the charging LED turned green, I plugged it to usb host and restart, but still got the twisted image.
I am quite confused now.
As stated far too many times in far too many posts in this forum, you cannot trust the power LED color on a bricked kindle.

Perhaps your battery is charged enough, but your diags kernel does not match your diags partition. Or perhaps your battery is discharged (which can happen rapidly if left in diags, or while frozen partially booted).

Tags
brick, k4 black