Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
soundwaves
soundwaves began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & iPad
Reading Life with side loaded books.

Hi guys! My Kindle has been trodden on by a housemate, and I'm not too keen on Amazon's refurb offer, so I've decided to go for a Kobo. They seem awesome! If I side load books to a Kobo, does Reading Life still work? Are there some awards that are locked to books from the Kobo store? (and, funny question, but I can definitely access the Kobo store in Australia, right? That's what turned me off the Sony mostly.)

thanks guys!
soundwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
parcerita
parcerita began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes, Reading Life works for side-loaded books and based on my experience so far there aren't any awards locked to Kobo store books. I do imagine that you can access the store from Australia since 1) Collins and (for what it's worth) Borders sell the devices there and 2) the main reason for the creation of eReaders is to tie you to a particular ecosystem be it Kobo or Kindle or whatever. In any case you should see if the website allows you to purchase books over there before you buy http://www.kobobooks.com/ Cheers!

Last edited by parcerita; 07-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.
parcerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Yes, you can reach the Australian Kobo store.

But many books aren't there, due to geolocking.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Reading Life works for sideloaded books, but be aware that sideloaded book stats do not sync with the Kobo servers. That means that if you do a factory reset, you will lose the stats (books read, time reading etc) associated with the sideloaded books. Awards are not impacted if they are complete. However, awards that "need" multiple things to happen (like reading X amount of one thing or another) will lose the sideloaded portions until the award is complete.

Last edited by taming; 07-29-2012 at 02:16 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
There *are* awards specific to books purchased via Kobo. For example, there are awards for Pretty Little Liars and Sookie Stackhouse books that will only work if the book is purchased from Kobo and exist in your Library.

Have a read of this thread. It contains info on awards, what platforms support them, and in some cases, how to achieve them.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert