Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
shangrila500@yah
shangrila500@yah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Please Help Me!!!!!!

Please Help Me!!!!
I have an ARC copy of a book that I would like to put on my kindle and read instead of having to sit in front of my computer for the next couple of days reading. I downloaded the python script ineptpdf and used it and it decrypted the book perfectly, but every singel time I try to convert it I run into the same problem. Once the conversion is done i pull up the file and there is a crapload of stuff in it such as the date and the the books name followed by .indd , Is there any way to strip this book so I can keep the same layout and keep the book looking the same way but actually convert it? I have already tried everything I know to do to it like printing it with a program that prints it to another pdf file, I have tried to convert it to another file format then convert it back to pdf to convert in calibre (for some reason my copy of calibre is very select about which doc and rtf files it converts) I have tried to turn it into an html using third party pdf converting software, I have tried converting the original file back to pdf and editing it and that doesnt work, I even asked for the file to be sent throught my free.kindle email address and it converts it the same way calibre does... I have tried many other things too but nothing will work. Someone please help me before I lose my freaking mind.... This is bull@#%$!!!!!
shangrila500@yah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
shangrila500@yah

UPDATE:

Ok I know this is a really weird request but please ladies and gentlemen, I would be extremely grateful for any feedback at all. I am not trying to release this book onto the internet or anything, i just want it converted to read on my kindle.... The best thing I have found this far to help convert the book is PDFtoEPUB, someone had a post up that said they were having problems converting a book and this was one of the suggestions. I am still having a couple of problems with it though, they are no where near as major they are just annoying. It take a lot of the chapters and the actual title to the book and instead of the first letter of each word in the chapter name being capitalized they not..... The original files name is like so, this is just an example, The Lone House. The converter is like this, The lone house.
That is annoying to me but not as bad as the other crap I finally got rid of, please anybody give me suggestions on how to fix this!!!!! btw the only way to convert the file is to convert in into epub
Advert
Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
ARC or PDF, which is it? Because I thought the ".arc" extension is an archive format by some less-than-popular compression software out there.

Hmph.

PDF is always a PITA to convert. It's been discussed countless times before... PDF is an output format. It's always better to go back to the source file (RTF, DOC, ODT, etc).

The way I see it, there's a thorough and time consuming method (but the result is usually of very high quality) and a quick and dirt method.

The quality method is to print screen it, OCR it with ABBYY FineReader or similar, print screen the graphics (and possibly turn them into vector graphics), proof read it, export it as HTML, use Sigil and turn it into ePub. From there you convert it into Mobi or whatever. Then you proof read the final product again, on the Kidney, correcting everything you might have missed the first time - and trust me, there's gonna be stuff you miss. There always is.

The quick and dirt method on the other hand, is to print each page as a JPG or PNG. Most readers have a resolution 800x600. Consult the spec sheet from the package or the Amazon website. It's probably 800x600. There are various printer drivers. I can't help you there, Google can. Last time I used this method was in 2007 or so for converting exam preps (which were in PDF format) to read on my PSP.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If the PDF of the ARC is DRM free have you tried just reading it as a PDF on the Kindle and not converting it (landscape mode usually works best IMO).

The best way I've found to convert a PDF to any other format is to use Acrobat Pro to export to HTML and then clean it up in Sigil and make an ePub (on rare occasion I've gotten better HTML using Mobipocket Creator). Then convert the ePub using either Calibre or Kindle Previewer (Kindle/prcgen). Depending on the PDF it can be quite a bit of work and not always worth it if it's just a book you read once and discard.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
shangrila500@yah

By ARC I mean Advanced Readers copy not .arc format. And it is an adobe editions pdf, that I stripped the DRM off of. I have tried making it a HTML and when I do it turns out worse than when I try anything else, it takes away all spaces between words and a lot of other stuff. When I try to convert it to anything with Mobipocket Creator it turns it into a bunch of symbols and spaces no matter what format i try to convert it into. The only reason I can't read it on my kindle without convert it is because it takes 5 minutes to load each page, I kid you not. The only reason I am going so crazy trying to figure out a way to convert it is because I have to read it and this is the only copy i have to convert, otherwise I would look for another copy of it. Is there any way to convert it and just keep it exactly the way it is with the images under the text and the same letter formats and all?
If not thats fine, I just want to make it all right without hours and hours of work on it\
Also instead of the pdf being the normal 2 mb or smaller this one is 80 mb
Advert
Old 08-27-2011, 06:22 AM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would probably just go with the quick and dirty method and convert it to JPG images, even if it's not that different from a regular book. Heck, people have been reading books without Ctrl+F for centuries now.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
shangrila500@yah

I have no idea how to convert it to JPG images...... And I have no clue what Ctrl+F does either...... I hate admitting that but I am almost a complete newbie. Maybe you can explain that process to me. I have been working with Sigil lately and that seems to be the best way to do it, but I came across a book that when I get it into epub format it is missing entire paragraphs....
I am going to explain to you how I convert the novel into ebook format so maybe you can tell me what to do to fix this.
I found a link for a program called PDFtoEpub on here, and the person who posted the link said it was free for so long so I downloaded it to try it and viola! So I put the book in the program, it loads it up and goes it a page where it lets you trim the pages down so you can cut the header and footer off.
Then it loads a page with the extracted letters and next to the letters it shows the letter it will use in the output format, and it lets you correct them if it didn't put the right letter there of the right letter case.
Once that's done it loads up to a page where it converts it.
5 minutes or so later you are done with your epub to edit in sigil.

I got through this process and it has worked for the past 5 or so books I have put in it, but with this latest book it has cut off a paragraph every so often, and it isn't due to the trim setting I put in for the header and footer. I just can't figure out why its cutting paragraphs out.....
Old 09-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
DSpider
Evangelist

Learn2google "convert pdf to images", "export pdf to jpg", "best easiest way to convert a pdf to jpg" and some other keywords like that. It usually works.

PS: Ctrl+F is the search function. For it to work you'd have to OCR it (OCR = optical character recognition). It means either the text will be under the image, or you could keep just the text, thus substantially reducing the filesize. Obviously you'd have to proofread it, style it, match fonts, etc. It's a lot of work but like I said, the result is usually very high quality.

Last edited by DSpider; 09-04-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shangrila500@yah View Post
...The only reason I can't read it on my kindle without convert it is because it takes 5 minutes to load each page...
I've successfully dealt with some rather "evil" PDFs by generating a new PDF as follows:
  1. Download and install PrimoPDF, a free virtual printer driver that "prints" a PDF file (http://www.primopdf.com/).
  2. Open the problem PDF in any application that will display it well and has the ability to print (e.g. Abobe Reader, ...).
  3. Print the file, selecting PrimoPDF as the printer.

You may need to do a little trial-and-terror experimenting with PrimoPDF's options, but you should be able to get a PDF that the Kindle can deal with adequately.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote