Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Well, I still haven't heard anything official about my combo subscription, placed on 12/23, but I got another email saying the offer was up again, for January 8 and 9 only. If anyone wants to give it a go, the combo offer is <HERE>. This time the email came from Penny Publications, not Barnes & Noble, but specifies that the offer is available through B&N.

They may not have all the kinks worked out, but this is a very good deal!
That is a very good deal. I just wish is was available in the UK! I'm currently paying over $70/year for my subscriptions to those two magazines. $29.90 per year for both is amazing. As good or better than the best deal I ever got through Fictionwise.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #17
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
It only seems to apply to Asimov's. It doesn't look like Analog is part of the deal.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
It only seems to apply to Asimov's. It doesn't look like Analog is part of the deal.
It's definitely both: "Asimov's Sci-Fi & Analog Science Fiction and Fact Combo"

Note also that in the subscription sections, the current issue bit lists both Asimov's and Analog.

The single issue puchase is only for one or the other.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Sorry, didn't notice the title. Thought it was going to be select two mags for the price of one from the original e-mail.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I got rid of my nook readers.

Can I download these to my Ipad Air? (I have a nook app on it)

Or perhaps download them to my Kindle Fire (using a nook app, which I have)?

Or is there a more elegant solution?

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

You could download them to a nook app on your Kindle Fire, or you could download them to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, after which removing the DRM and converting for reading anywhere is pretty simple.

They're just ePubs with Adobe DRM applied.

And you have 14 days to test that you can read them easily where you want to. If it doesn't work, you can cancel before then and pay nothing.

As I've said before: if I could get this offer, I'd take it like a shot.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #22
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Well, I still haven't heard anything official about my combo subscription, placed on 12/23, but I got another email saying the offer was up again, for January 8 and 9 only. If anyone wants to give it a go, the combo offer is <HERE>. This time the email came from Penny Publications, not Barnes & Noble, but specifies that the offer is available through B&N.

They may not have all the kinks worked out, but this is a very good deal!
I did the same thing: canceled the individual subscriptions and subscribed to the combo at the yearly rate. I got the initial issue of Asimov's (duplicating the one I already had from the individual subscription). I noticed a couple of days ago that it said the order couldn't be processed to contact support. I did and after they transferred me several times they said it was ok and I should get future issues. I suspect one of two issues or both: the 14 day trial period, and the 12 back issues of each magazine included with the deal (since I already had most of the back issues).
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #23
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You could download them to a nook app on your Kindle Fire, or you could download them to Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, after which removing the DRM and converting for reading anywhere is pretty simple.

They're just ePubs with Adobe DRM applied.

And you have 14 days to test that you can read them easily where you want to. If it doesn't work, you can cancel before then and pay nothing.

As I've said before: if I could get this offer, I'd take it like a shot.
Actually, magazines are not available to download outside of nook apps, unless you use the Alternative Download GreaseMonkey script. Most of B&N's magazines are DRM-free already. Some of the more glossy magazines are only available on their tablet devices (nook color, tablet, HD, and HD+) and the Alternative Download, if it works at all, only gives you the slimmed down "article view" version (I'm assuming Alternative Download is the link for eink devices). The good thing is that Analog and Asimov's only have the one version for all devices since they're primarily text.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #24
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Actually, magazines are not available to download outside of nook apps, unless you use the Alternative Download GreaseMonkey script.
I was only talking about Analog and Asimov's, and last time I took out a trial subscription with B&N for one of them I had no problem in downloading the magazines.

But that's the good thing about a trial period - one can check.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I might be interested in the 2 for 1 sale if they allowed me to choose the two magazines I wanted. I see some magazines I want, but the other offer is for a magazine that I am not interested in.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #26
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Thanks.
I download them with the Nook App on my PC, then drag the files into Calibre. (With the de-DRM plugins.) At that point you can convert them or do whatever you want to them. You'll also have a local backup, just in case they stop being available in the future. I do this for every ebook I buy though, both from Amazon and B&N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I did the same thing: canceled the individual subscriptions and subscribed to the combo at the yearly rate. I got the initial issue of Asimov's (duplicating the one I already had from the individual subscription). I noticed a couple of days ago that it said the order couldn't be processed to contact support. I did and after they transferred me several times they said it was ok and I should get future issues. I suspect one of two issues or both: the 14 day trial period, and the 12 back issues of each magazine included with the deal (since I already had most of the back issues).
They told me it was because of the trial. Because it won't try to charge your card yet, the system interprets it as a charge failure that needs help from support. But they said not to worry, it would go through normally after the trial was over. Glad it was simple, but they really should fix that.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:16 AM   #28
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
This deal is back on.

Barnes and Noble Nook is having a double-magazine subscription sale through October 12th that again includes the Asimov's/Analog bundle at $2.99 a month. The offer also includes a $5.00 gift card with purchase.

Details on all magazines/gift cards at this link or click the link above to go directly to the Asimov's/Analog bundle.
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #29
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Thanks. Alas, not available in the UK.

Then again, given that B&N seem to have changed their DRM scheme for new/changed accounts, I wouldn't buy anyway.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 AM   #30
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Magazines at B&N could never be downloaded through the browser through conventional means. The fabled Greasemonkey script allowed it, and still does. Analog and Asimov's were never encumbered by DRM before, but I don't know if that's changed now that B&N is battening down the hatches. My next issues are due later today, so I may be able to give a fuller report later.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote