Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
App corruption alert...

I had something happen that has never before:

When having had my Vox connected to my computer, and having had properly unmounted the Vox from the computer BEFORE disconnecting it from the Vox,I have noticed the following.

As you know, when you initiate a master/slave session with the Vox, you get a USB connect screen whereby you have to tap the USB connect on the Vox to initiate the session.

OK...but if your Vox goes to sleep, and you have to wake up the screen, you lose that Vox USB connection screen sometimes (this might be a software bug/glitch), and you re-awake to the Vox desktop.

Now, you are supposed to first unmount the Vox on your computer, and then press the unmount button in the lower middle of the USB Connect screen on the Vox. That would end a normal master/slave relationship.

If you don't do it on the Vox as well as the last step, you might find that some of your Vox informational files (apps, books, etc) could be corrupted. I had Alkido and a game go corrupt on me as a result of unmounting the Vox from the computer, but then having no USB screen to also let the Vox know that there had been an unmount, and to write closing finals from any buffer to the files. I had to reinstall the app and the game.

I guess you need to try and bring back up the mount/unmount Vox screen before you pull the plug on the USB. This might be where some users have found corruption/problems after turning off the Vox and starting another user session, and wonder why 'out of the blue' they now have file problems. Something to ponder....

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 12-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
The last time I physically connected the Vox to my laptop, it did not disconnect gracefully. I can't remember the exact sequence of events. I know the Vox did not go to sleep during the session. But it did freeze. It's not an experience I would care to repeat. I think I did the 'disconnect hardware safely' from my laptop, but I don't remember what happened on the Vox after that. I just remember that it froze.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Hmmm, I was not aware the vox would go to sleep while connected via usb. That seems wrong to me (from a design pov).

That being said, I rarely connect my vox via usb anymore. Between dropbox and es file explorer's lan abilities, there is no need to.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
You can retrieve the "USB connected" screen after the screen blanks. Just wake the Vox in the usual way. You will then see a small symbol for a USB connection on the left side of the top/status line of the Vox. Pull it (the status bar) down, and under Ongoing you will see USB Connected. Touch this and you are back to the standard USB screen to turn off the connection.

Keith
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I did that, and it froze as it did for 49Kat. That's when I started having system freeze issues on a regular basis along with app corruption like Reader Paradice.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarscadden View Post
You can retrieve the "USB connected" screen after the screen blanks. Just wake the Vox in the usual way. You will then see a small symbol for a USB connection on the left side of the top/status line of the Vox. Pull it (the status bar) down, and under Ongoing you will see USB Connected. Touch this and you are back to the standard USB screen to turn off the connection.

Keith
-------------------------------------

OK, thanks Keith for that head's-up. I just read the post below yours that someone also did that, which caused a system freeze. I guess that the best thing then, is to before a master/slave session, go into Sleep settings and make it 'never'. That would work..... Then go back to whatever setting you had previously after stated session....

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #7
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I did that, and it froze as it did for 49Kat. That's when I started having system freeze issues on a regular basis along with app corruption like Reader Paradice.
---------------------------------
Haesslich, then perhaps some of your files that got initially corrupted were system oriented, rather than app...and therefore you get a corrupted system performance from then on. Man..that can HURT!

My two files were discretionary, so once I reinstalled them...no further problems. I think the solution is to turn off SLEEP until you are past the session and out of USB. I'm going to give that a try the next time. I don't need a crash and burn like Pokee had....

Cheers,

Mitch
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
It corrupted my PDF reader when I unplugged after it froze. Then other files got corrupted. Pity the factory reset doesn't wipe it all out - the menu Factory Reset left me with the 20111117 firmware and froze during the initial setup.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
It corrupted my PDF reader when I unplugged after it froze. Then other files got corrupted. Pity the factory reset doesn't wipe it all out - the menu Factory Reset left me with the 20111117 firmware and froze during the initial setup.
-------------------------------------------

Then perhaps the DROP BOX thingy is the better way for interaction. I'm just a tad privacy/CLOUD shy at this time. Too much is is being saved in the new cloud culture (actually...who knows how much and for what reason is being saved!!!)

Ah heck...I'll just keep 'private' lol....and try the NEVER sleep check-off before a USB session. Sheesh...LOL!

Mitch
Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
-------------------------------------------

Then perhaps the DROP BOX thingy is the better way for interaction. I'm just a tad privacy/CLOUD shy at this time. Too much is is being saved in the new cloud culture (actually...who knows how much and for what reason is being saved!!!)
Then use es file explorer to retrieve files from machines on your LAN.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #11
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Mr Nobody means Windows Home Network sharing. That what I do as well. No cables.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Mr Nobody means Windows Home Network sharing. That what I do as well. No cables.
Another option is apps like WebSharing, which allow transfer of files via WiFi using a Web interface on your browser. Highly recommended.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Another option is apps like WebSharing, which allow transfer of files via WiFi using a Web interface on your browser. Highly recommended.
-----------------------------------

Thank you, the three of you for giving me options, other than per CLOUD......most appreciated!

Mitch