Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
scottklarr
scottklarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Suggestions for Calibre development

I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears. Here are a few improvements that I think would really add to Calibre's usefulness.

1. Latest import view. List of books imported in this session. A nice addition feature would be to have items removed from view if they get edited.

2. Highlight & note manager. First off, the calibre viewer needs to have the ability of saving notes and highlights (if it already does, how?). These notes should be manageable & exportable, and you should be able to import from kindle mbp files (the current 'get annotations' feature is pretty much useless for anybody who makes more than just one or two highlights)

3. Function to search within ebook to auto-discover ISBN.

4. More user friendly cover image scraper? Perhaps give the user a list of multiple cover versions found online and allow them to select the best/right one.

5. A book cover browser that is more functional and less flashy than the current 3d flipbook cover browser. A simulated bookshelf would be 92133735463 times better.

6. Global search with paragraph context results. It would be amazing if Calibre could index all the ebooks so that you could quickly search your entire library and get search-engine styled results with the text surrounding found keywords.

Last edited by scottklarr; 06-16-2010 at 07:59 PM.
scottklarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottklarr View Post
1. Latest import view. List of books imported in this session. A nice addition feature would be to have items removed from view if they get edited.
I'm not against this idea but this workflow is easily accomplished via use of the tags and custom columns. I'll let others fill in the process details.

Quote:
2. Highlight & note manager. First off, the calibre viewer needs to have the ability of saving notes and highlights (if it already does, how?).
This might be a nice feature, you can put in an enhancement request. Personally I think given limited time of the developer and the fact that calibre is mainly a book management program that efforts toward this feature would be way down the priority list. Of course if you develop the code it could go way up on the list.

Quote:
These notes should be manageable & exportable, and you should be able to import from kindle mbp files (the current 'get annotations' feature is pretty much useless for anybody who makes more than just one or two highlights)
Since there is no standard for notes between devices it is amazing that there is any ability to get the annotations. If I recall correctly one of the users submitted code for it.

Quote:
3. Function to search within ebook to auto-discover ISBN.
There has been an enhancement request for this listed in the tracker for almost a year. You can weigh in on the discussion here. Someone actually has scripts to have calibre do this auto-discovery.

Quote:
5. A book cover browser that is more functional and less flashy than the current 3d flipbook cover browser. A simulated bookshelf would be 92133735463 times better.
Kovid has said that a grid of book covers is on his todo list.

Quote:
6. Global search with paragraph context results. It would be amazing if Calibre could index all the ebooks so that you could quickly search your entire library and get search-engine styled results with the text surrounding found keywords.
Interesting ideas. The first step toward any of the ideas is to open an enhancement ticket. The worst that can happen is it doesn't get worked on.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-17-2010 at 01:16 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Here's how I handle the importing you're referring to in 1:

All of my ebooks have a tag of "processed" -- it used to be just a regular tag, but since 0.7.x, I've added a "workflow" column and put it and other non-content-related tags in there. I also have a saved search for books that do not have a "processed" tag. So, when I add new books to my calibre library, I click on that saved search and a list of all the books I just added comes up. I can then fix up their metadata the way I like it, finishing off with giving them a "processed" tag ... at which point, of course, they vanish from the not-processed view.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It's a really straightforward way to keep track of which books I've massaged and which I haven't. Now that calibre can compare the list of books on my 505 and mark the ones that need to be loaded, it's even easier than ever. I also have a "DNU" (for "do not upload") tag, so I also have a saved search for books that are not on the reader and aren't tagged "DNU", for easy updating.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
tonyx3
Connoisseur
tonyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus One
Quote:
4. More user friendly cover image scraper? Perhaps give the user a list of multiple cover versions found online and allow them to select the best/right one.
I agree with pretty much all of dwanthny's comments above, but this one feature would be very welcome.
tonyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyx3 View Post
I agree with pretty much all of dwanthny's comments above, but this one feature would be very welcome.
What he said, ++

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert