Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #286
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But Amazon has outlawed the script to convert the serial number into a PID.
They have not issued a DMCA take down notice to the source of the script, which is exactly where it always was. They did issue a take down notice to MobileRead, but posts were removed by the forum at its discretion - not in response to the take down (if it was a take down the authors of all offending material would have been notified by mobileread and they would then be free to sue Amazon).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #287
bcogney
bcogney began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
any suggestion on how to import a DRM'd ePub file on the Kindle w/o gettng the following error:
This error showed up when I tried importing a DRM'd ePub file to mobipocket/amazon kindle.
“Not Importable. BookKey”
bcogney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #288
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
ePub is not supported on Kindle. You will have to convert it using Calibre or something similar.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #289
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcogney View Post
any suggestion on how to import a DRM'd ePub file on the Kindle
See Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented. Then use Calibre.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #290
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There was a thread on the Amazon forum today about using ebooks from a library, and Amazon deleted several of the posts, presumably ones mentioning the 2 scripts that can be used on library ebooks.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #291
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Re: Read DRM-protected EPub content on the Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcogney View Post
any suggestion on how to import a DRM'd ePub file on the Kindle w/o gettng the following error:
This error showed up when I tried importing a DRM'd ePub file to mobipocket/amazon kindle.
“Not Importable. BookKey”
You missed the point of DRM. It is to keep people from putting unauthorized books on devices not authorized, or to put it another way it is to prevent people from buying their books because they are greedy and stupid and don't realize they are killing their own sales. I will accommodate them by not purchasing any DRM books that I can reasonably avoid. Amazon does not want to sell their books to anyone who is not using a Kindle or an iPhone/iTouch. Sony readers can just keep their money in their pockets, Amazon is not interested in selling to them. And while I am here, Sony is not interested in selling their readers or books to Macintosh users. If anyone objects to my observation, just realize that their actions speak louder than their words.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #292
houstoncfi
houstoncfi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Working with serial number starting with B003

I got both programs to work, but apparently it didn't recognize my serial number when i looked in KindlePID.py it had a condition for B001 (Kindle 1) and B002 (Kindle 2) and one for Iphones. I kept getting an error message. I tried two things:
1. Enter my serial number with a 2 instead of a 3
2. Change the code to accept B003

The result was the same for both although with different PID numbers. I got the PID then registered them with the book, and converted with kindlefix.py and when i got it on the kindle it rejected both of them. Any ideas? Thanks.

I have the new Kindle 2 International Version.
houstoncfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #293
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoncfi View Post
I got both programs to work, but apparently it didn't recognize my serial number when i looked in KindlePID.py it had a condition for B001 (Kindle 1) and B002 (Kindle 2) and one for Iphones. I kept getting an error message.
There are versions that support B003. The best single site for info about such issues is Apprentice Alf's Blog. Its oldest post is about the "tools" bundle that includes point and click wrappers for many scripts, and which generally also includes recent versions of the underlying scripts.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #294
med007
Enthusiast
med007 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
is there a hacking wiki anywhere that lists all currently known kindle hacks like this one and how to do them?
med007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Seems this hack may possibly not work with Kindle firmware 2.5.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #296
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
It does work with 2.5.3 - unmodified. After the upgrade, I checked out a public library book, ran KindleFix, and the Overdrive library book is readable on my Kindle.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #297
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by med007 View Post
is there a hacking wiki anywhere that lists all currently known kindle hacks like this one and how to do them?
Unfortunately such a Wiki cannot be legally hosted here.

It would be nice now if some enterprising soul would combine all the DRM hacks into one uberscript - that would test for the hardware & firmware version associated with a book (K1, K2, K2i, K4PC, etc.) and then apply the appropriate scripts. And then plug it into calibre. Dare to dream.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #298
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
It does work with 2.5.3 - unmodified. After the upgrade, I checked out a public library book, ran KindleFix, and the Overdrive library book is readable on my Kindle.
I think what the person meant is that it (mobidedrm) won't remove the DRM from books bought from Amazon and downloaded to the kindle.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #299
jeleclekat
jeleclekat began at the beginning.

Device: mme
Quote:
Originally Posted by azog View Post
Hmph, if the PID is generated from the serial number, I don't see a way for them to "fix" this, without also breaking access to our "legit" Kindle purchases. It's interesting. I wonder if he can do the reverse, de-Kindle an AZW file I've purchased from Amazon. That would allow me to read all my content on my Gen3!

if he does, let me know - I'd love to read them on my palm
jeleclekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #300
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
FYI, I just modified my copy of the KindlePID script yesterday for the new Graphite serial number prefix (B009) and it still works.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote