Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
kool
kool began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500; iPad; K3
Dictionary functionality on iPad / iPhone / iPod touch

I use dictionary quite extensively while reading and really like the dictionary function of Sony PRS 600/900. Does any one know whether similar dictionary functionality would be available on Ipad, i.e. access the dictionary lookup function while reading a book by double tapping the word.
I think existing owners of iPhone or iPod touch would know this.
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have apps on the iPhone that have that kind of ability (Bible Explorer for example) but of course have no idea if iBooks on the iPad will have it. We are now about a month from release, so it won't be long. I would assume that it will depend on the apps designers if they include a dictionary feature or not.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, I think it is going to depend on the reader application in question. If the device is online, then there are any number of dictionaries that could be used.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
freedom1587
freedom1587 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
There is no local dictionary available on iPod touch when you read. The only way to look up new worlds is to quit the reading app and open another dictionary app.
freedom1587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom1587 View Post
There is no local dictionary available on iPod touch when you read. The only way to look up new worlds is to quit the reading app and open another dictionary app.
Actually, many of the existing reader apps for the Touch/iPhone have built in dictionaries where you can look up words on the fly without exiting the app.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Stanza on my Touch has a dictionary within the book. I just press on a word and hold my finger down until another screen comes up and then press 'define' and I get the definition. I think it's a great feature!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
I use dictionary quite extensively while reading and really like the dictionary function of Sony PRS 600/900. Does any one know whether similar dictionary functionality would be available on Ipad, i.e. access the dictionary lookup function while reading a book by double tapping the word.
I think existing owners of iPhone or iPod touch would know this.
Hi - the apple store is giving more info about the ipad, and says a dictionary is built in: "Touch and hold any word to look it up in the built-in dictionary or Wikipedia, or to search for it throughout the book and on the web."

My sony 505 does not have this feature, so I'm looking forward to it on the iPad. The rest of the description of the ipad's ebook reader can be found at http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/ibooks.html
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote