Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
bigdosh12
bigdosh12 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle in a strange land

I was wondering if anyone has been having the following problem and/or has any ideas how I might solve it?
I own a kindle that was purchased and registered in the USA. I currently live in China and up until a couple of weeks ago had no problems buying books online then sending them to my computer and uploading them to my kindle. Now when I try to buy a book I get this message:

We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.

I have reported the problem to Amazon but they have yet to offer any useful suggestions on solving the issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this just a technical glitch on Amazon or does it have something to do with Chinese government censorship? Comments, questions or ideas are welcome...
Thanks all
bigdosh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
That's why I prefer to use devices that are not "stuck forever" to one and only sourse of content...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdosh12 View Post

I was wondering if anyone has been having the following problem and/or has any ideas how I might solve it?
I own a kindle that was purchased and registered in the USA. I currently live in China and up until a couple of weeks ago had no problems buying books online then sending them to my computer and uploading them to my kindle. Now when I try to buy a book I get this message:

We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions.
Check out this thread, it may help:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58329
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
There have been several recent threads in the forum on this very topic. Some of the posts suggest that there was a recent glitch in the software that was causing this problem -- presumably as the software was changed to support the new international Kindle -- and this has now been fixed.

Also, it's likely that Amazon are now using the IP address to check the purchaser's country -- again, this is probably in connection with the international Kindle.

This might well be a problem for you in China, as Amazon are not making content available there. If so, I don't know what the answer is.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote