Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Petitefadette
Petitefadette began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Charger problems

So I'm hoping someone here will have an idea for me.

Today, I noticed my Iliad battery starting to wind down (I only use it for an hour or so each day, so I don't have to charge it very often). So I plugged in my charger and connected it to the Iliad.

No red light. I tried re-seating the connector and got the red light, so I knew it was charging.

After a few minutes of getting sucked into what I was reading, I noticed the light had shut off again. And it definitely isn't charged yet (indicator shows about 1/8 battery charge left).

I tried reseating the connector again, to no avail. I can't get it to respond at all now and upon further inspection, it looks like a tiny piece of the plastic on a corner of the connector has cracked off.

I assume I will need a new charger/travel hub, unless someone has any ideas for me to try. But even if I need a travel hub, I can't seem to find a US retailer that carries them and buying direct from Irex would mean paying $39 for shipping on a $39 dollar item (which I'll do if I have to, but I wish there were another option).

So, 1) anyone have any ideas about trying to get my wounded charger/hub to work? or
2) anyone know of a US retailer that could sell me a travel hub?

Many thanks!

-Petitefadette
Petitefadette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Petitefadette
Petitefadette began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Okay, looked further into ereaderoutfitters and find that they do indeed carry the travel hub. This is what happens when I try to fix things instead of eating my lunch.

If anyone has any other ideas, however, I'd still love to here them.

-Petitefadette (with much chagrin)
Petitefadette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
It is actually possible to order only the connector, or at least a connector that fits.
So if you're handy you could repair your travel hub yourself.

See also:
http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?=&p=2334
The connector can be bought at:
http://www.cypressindustries.com/sho...1%2D562%2D2002
and the wiring diagram is here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7416

I've been thinking about making separate USB, ethernet and charching cables for my iLiad.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petitefadette View Post
I tried reseating the connector again, to no avail. I can't get it to respond at all now and upon further inspection, it looks like a tiny piece of the plastic on a corner of the connector has cracked off.
This happened to me, too; the high-tech solution was to wrap electrical tape around the plug to hold the little piece of broken-off plastic in place. Works fine now.

Another case of the functionality of the whole item being completely dependent on the smallest, most fragile component...
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote